Neural Quad Cortex

• Could be. This is the first time I've imported IR's into the KPA using Rig Manager. I didn't merge them, though.

What do you mean with "merge"? You never (should) merge an IR to a profile (hitting the merge button).

Merge is only for making merged profiles. Merged profiles consist of a direct amp profile with the cab of the corresponding (!) studio profile! Merging any IR / cab to any profile does not make any sense? Maybe I didn't understand.

• What do you mean with "merge"? You never (should) merge an IR to a profile (hitting the merge button).

Merge is only for making merged profiles. Merged profiles consist of a direct amp profile with the cab of the corresponding (!) studio profile! Merging any IR / cab to any profile does not make any sense? Maybe I didn't understand.

I was using them with studio profiles, but I also tried them with direct profiles.

• 3ms is as if you were one meter away from your speaker. I can't feel or hear any latency at 3ms.

Here's another flat statement, short of being Superman, neither can anyone else... ;)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• When something ia marketed so aggressively, with so much hype and large claims, it's pretty normal for it to be judged against the competition that it's claiming superiority over lol. Being offended or upset when that happens is just absurd

• The issues start when people stop thinking analytically and logically. I don't see an issue with looking at the facts and things you can gather so far, and making an informed personal comparison and evaluation of something. The problem is when people insist on subjective things being definitive.

Assuming the unit sounds good or bad based on how some YouTuber makes it sound when they're using it? Ridiculous and subjective. And people letting that hold so much weight to their opinion is part of the problem too. But looking at the workflow in the videos, the features and how they work, looking practically at the options you have, stuff like that, THAT is logical and analyzing things in a way that actually has potential to benefit you. It's the same thing you'd do if you had it in front of you and it's totally normal to compare it to other gear that it's up against.

I don't think anyone has any malicious intent or is feeling overly defensive about their gear. I think Neural DSP's marketing, and the attitude of people awaiting the QC, has just left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. And when you're looking into something and wanting information but all you can find is empty hype, big claims, and obviously biased promo videos, and people spouting off random assumptions with no context, it's kind of a bummer lol.

• Well I watched the latest sweetwater vid. Tone wise I'm not convinced it has the edge over any other unit, particularly the Kemper.

For live use the Kemper with it's morphing features on multiple parameters knocks the qc out the park. The qc looks really fiddly to set up, then you have to remember where you put that other reverb or where that OD went.

Good luck with using it for 4 musicians as has been mooted lol.

• BTW, talking about what "Other Gear" means, I remember one of the mods closing a thread (not sure it was about the QC already... or was it Fractal or Atomic?) with the reason that by "other gear" they merely meant other hw to be used in conjunction with the KPA.

Glad they have apparently changed their mind on the matter :)

When you're talking about the whole full rig Capture thing, there's literally no way to use IR's with a "full rig" (AMP+CAB) Capture, no matter what way you spin it. You can't turn off or swap out that Cab portion of the Capture if the Capture has a Cab in it to begin with. That's all I meant

I am pretty well aware of what the differences are between the two approaches ;)
    What I am saying is that QC users won't have to change cab in a "studio capture" hence missing the whole original thing, because the possibility to stack captures allows them to just choose any pre, any power section and any cab/IR and create a rig. So they can profile the whole chain and also its parts, and play with the block as they like.

Hope this clarifies :)

I'm most curious about the speculation that the Neural QC's capture technology will somehow obviate the need to mic up an amp properly. Does anyone have the skinny on how that would work?

No, as others I think this is just related to direct captures actually.

Maybe Kemper even sounds better. But if you focus on "authenticity" it is not 99 % and only 1 % missing here.

We have examples of perfect profiles tho, where the player themselves was not able to tell which as which.

See for example the films about the Nashville Profiling Sessions
    :)

I imported a few IR's directly into Rig Manager via drag and drop from a Windows Explorer folder and then drag and dropped one of them onto the Cab section in Rig Manager, then compared it with the same IR in the Axe-Fx III. I'm honestly not hearing any notable difference. What kind of differences are you hearing?

I don't use IRs (I find this to be one of the greatest features of the KPA LOL), but I've actually often heard about Cab Maker not respecting the original IRs in the conversion.

Things may have changed nowadays tho.

:)

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• BTW, talking about what "Other Gear" means, I remember one of the mods closing a thread (not sure it was about the QC already... or was it Fractal or Atomic?) with the reason that by "other gear" they merely meant other hw to be used in conjunction with the KPA.

Glad they have apparently changed their mind on the matter

Christoph posted this in this thread:

"Don't worry! It's absolutely fine for us to discuss even competition here!"

• I am pretty well aware of what the differences are between the two approaches ;)

What I am saying is that QC users won't have to change cab in a "studio capture" hence missing the whole original thing, because the possibility to stack captures allows them to just choose any pre, any power section and any cab/IR and create a rig. So they can profile the whole chain and also its parts, and play with the block as they like.

Hope this clarifies :)

You're assuming everyone who does Captures of their amps and setups will individually Capture each section of the rig and each section of the amp and the truth is, people most likely won't do Captures that way.

If you end up finding a Capture you like and want to start working with, and the person who did the Capture only did a full rig Amp+Cab Capture (which will probably be about half of the Captures that are around due to that being the most efficient and simple way to Capture a setup and it takes up the least CPU with one block), then you're stuck with that Cab in that Capture. THAT is my point, my friend.

You're assuming there will be this plethora of thoroughly Captured amps and preamps and power amps and it honestly will only be like that if you're doing Captures of your own Amps.

The majority of Captures will either be Amp Captures with no Cab, or full rig Amp+Cab Captures, and pedal Captures. So about half of the rig Captures (not including pedal Captures) will have a Cab that you're stuck with. You get me ? lol

I get what you're saying. But you're assuming everyone will be individually Capturing each section within an amp and signal chain and I doubt that kind of exhaustive Capturing will be done by many people lol

We have to look at it practically and think about what's realistic. Just because people can Capture every individual part of their signal chain and each part within an amp, doesn't mean every single person will. And I doubt people selling 3rd party Captures would do it like that either. Most likely, people selling Captures will do full rig Amp+Cab Captures or DI Captures (just like with Profiles) for each Amp or pack of Captures or whatever. I doubt anyone's going to take the time to Capture every little part of the Amp and signal chain individually for the small percentage of people who will use those kinds of Captures to begin with.

The only people who will want to do all that work are the ones who are using Captures that way, I honestly don't see sellers doing Capture packs this way because it's a huge hassle for not much gain. So unless you have a bunch of amps to do that kind of tedious Capturing with, then it might be hard to find those kinds of Captures. I wouldn't plan on those being common types of Capture to buy or find on the cloud or whatever.

I don't mean to sound negative or rude, my friend. I'm just trying to think practically and realistically :)

• Mostly I have doubts that even if you captured it that way, when you put it back together, would it sound good?

Maybe, but as pointed out earlier, without doing this ourselves, I don't see how you can get the answer.

• Christoph posted this in this thread:

"Don't worry! It's absolutely fine for us to discuss even competition here!"

Yep, this is what I said

If you end up finding a Capture you like and want to start working with, and the person who did the Capture only did a full rig Amp+Cab Capture (which will probably be about half of the Captures that are around due to that being the most efficient and simple way to Capture a setup and it takes up the least CPU with one block), then you're stuck with that Cab in that Capture. THAT is my point, my friend.

Well, this means that - in your projection - at least half of the captures will be separated modules. So every user will have things the way they like best. Don't forget that Neural is already going to make several captures available at launch, and their declared plans are that other will come regularly.

Yep, I am assuming things... like you are :) No-one is able to draw conclusions about any strategic flaws in the device and its planned development ATM. Your critiques may end up being a real issue or not: we just don't know.

What I am saying - again - is that QC users won't have to be stuck with "Studio" captures. IOW, the imitation of not being able to detach the cabinet is not going to be an issue for them as it would be for the Profiler.
    Also, they have models that they can mix with captures.

All in all, I don't see in the concept any serious limitation that would make the QC not enjoyable for anyone: each device has its characteristics, no device can do everything all the others can, and each one has got something others haven't. I am sure many will be happy with the QC, and they will be willing to give something up in favour of its strengths.

I believe there's room for anyone and anything :)

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• I did check that Fractal forum blocked some QC demos because paid videos are not allowed in that forum. Not the case in this forum.

Wasn't kemper disscusions at fractal forum erased, at least when kemper was new if I remember correct?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Wasn't kemper disscusions at fractal forum erased, at least when kemper was new if I remember correct?

(I feel like the hermit in "Life of Brian", for posting here again after a few years, even though I daily visit to read and learn).

Thank you!!! I was wondering, and waiting and waiting, when this would be brought up!
    We humans forget or want to forget easy.

The elders here may remember how many times users complained for "taking a beating" or for having their posts deleted, at the fractal forum.

Or how long we waited (some patiently, some not) for really good delays, drives, editor, etc.

I follow the "company" since 2000, having two Virus kbrds and two Profilers (one I got for my son). But...I also have a Helix, since a couple of years and have pre-ordered a QC.

The Profiler is in my heart and my big love. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy fooling around with the Helix though. I dial some great tones with it.

I am expecting the same with the QC and I am very excited to experience its sound capabilities, the UI/touch screen and look at it's functionality and easy of use (from what I have seen so far).

And, to be honest, I was not happy with the floorboard when announced. I was expecting more, with regard to tech specs and UI/UX. (just to be clear, that is just my opinion).

I am glad this forum section exists, I am glad it is supported by CK and his team and I am glad that, with the exception of few posts, there is interesting information and arguments' exchange from both sides.

Fanboy-ism doesn't do justice to any product. Healthy competition does, and we all sow its seeds.

Glad they have apparently changed their mind on the matter :)

FWIW

the only threads I removed from other gear were copy & paste posts of press releases of some keyboards IIRC
    It's fine to discuss these here of course, but copy & paste from readily available news site (especially during NAMM etc.) seemed redundant.