Neural Quad Cortex

• I watched it too and it's honestly really cool to see the Kemper not only holds its own, but still remains the best of the best! And it's pretty sick that it's undefeated when it comes to blind shootouts! lol

It's crazy how much hype and personal bias can cloud peoples' perceptions of things, until it comes down to a blind test or something of that sort. That's when the truth really comes out and in blind tests, the Kemper has always killed it;)^^

• One thing I don't like about the Kemper is that I can't have2amps at the sometime. I ordered the Quad Cortex just because you can play with more than one amp which is something I do when I record most of the time.

Sorry I don't get this...Why would you want to record 2 amps at a time? Surely its better to either:

1) Record tracks separately to get slight differences and therefore double tracking benefits

2) Copy the track and re-amp so you can tune the different sounds to each other. I can see how you might want to re-amp both tracks on the fly to help with the blending but its not a massive overhead surely?

Otherwise you have limited sound change possibilities post recording.

• Sorry I don't get this...Why would you want to record 2 amps at a time? Surely its better to either:

1) Record tracks separately to get slight differences and therefore double tracking benefits

2) Copy the track and re-amp so you can tune the different sounds to each other. I can see how you might want to re-amp both tracks on the fly to help with the blending but its not a massive overhead surely?

Otherwise you have limited sound change possibilities post recording.

Many producers / mixing engineers use a "blend of amps with blended cabs" for ONE guitar track to the left. Another tailored "blend" of amps and gear on the right. At least.

Plus a special blend for clean and for lead parts.

So EACH track is multiple amp, multiple cab setup.

• Many producers / mixing engineers use a "blend of amps with blended cabs" for ONE guitar track to the left. Another tailored "blend" of amps and gear on the right. At least.

Plus a special blend for clean and for lead parts.

So EACH track is multiple amp, multiple cab setup.

Do they? I'm out of date then as I know this is what happened years ago.

I don't understand why you would pre-blend and it removes flex at mix down, especially these days with almost limitless tracks, seems so counter intuitive.

I understand why amps are blended, but the whole point of multi track is that you do these things separately and blend in production. Its the other reason you add effects post recording unless essential because otherwise you can't correct or change it and we all know things sound very different when you add other sounds and instruments.

Anyway, I'm absolutely an amateur in recording so I stand corrected.

• Doesn't Bonamassa use a pair of Fender Twin Reverbs and a pair of Fender Bassmans on tour to get a balanced tone? So it is done live too.

• Do they? I'm out of date then as I know this is what happened years ago.

I don't understand why you would pre-blend and it removes flex at mix down, especially these days with almost limitless tracks, seems so counter intuitive.

I understand why amps are blended, but the whole point of multi track is that you do these things separately and blend in production. Its the other reason you add effects post recording unless essential because otherwise you can't correct or change it and we all know things sound very different when you add other sounds and instruments.

The advantage of reamping is that you can record with effects and change it in post later if need be.

• I always find that you either suffer some sort of phasing with 2 amps at once, or you have to get the tape measure out to try and eliminate it. Personally, multi mics or amps have never given me a better tone in the high gain world and tracking one at a time is much tighter.

Of course, it is probably easier with IRs.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I don't understand why you would pre-blend and it removes flex at mix down, especially these days with almost limitless tracks, seems so counter intuitive.

There is a lot to be said for committing to a sound while tracking.

That's the way they had to do it in the old days, and some of the greatest tones in history (guitar or otherwise) were created.

https://www.recordingrevolutio…-a-sound-when-you-record/

https://www.pro-tools-expert.c…mit-sounds-when-recording

• the Kemper not only holds its own, but still remains the best of the best! And it's pretty sick that it's undefeated when it comes to blind shootouts! lol

It's crazy how much hype and personal bias can cloud peoples' perceptions of things, until it comes down to a blind test or something of that sort.

This post is funny to me, as it seems you are exhibiting the personal bias that you are laying on others.

I mean, you have not done your own comparison between the QC and the KPA have you? It seems you are just accepting others opinions through a youtube video.

I have a Kemper and a QC on the way. I remain open minded and fully expect that each device will have its strengths and weaknesses.

There is absolutely zero possibility of making an accurate assessment for my needs until I have a chance to directly compare them myself.

• Doesn't Bonamassa use a pair of Fender Twin Reverbs and a pair of Fender Bassmans on tour to get a balanced tone? So it is done live too.

This is my point, as the original statement was about recording..

Dual amps has been discussed many times and I can see why people might want it for live but not for recording.

In the past when studios had limitations with tracks but not these days.

So apart from speed, why you would commit sounds to a recording? with 2 mics you have that option to blend post recording.

As I said, Im a total amateur so happy to be told I don't know what I'm talking about but the original point was I want dual amps so I can record 2 tracks with different sounds. I would never record like that. I would either record once and use plugins to adjust the sound or record 2 separate tracks to get the chorusey effect the way 2 live guitarist do...

• It just seems counter productive to limit one's recording options straight out the gate with dual amp patches. I'd rather have everything completely separate because you still have to mix everything back into a full mix after the fact.

• One thing I don't like about the Kemper is that I can't have2amps at the sometime. I ordered the Quad Cortex just because you can play with more than one amp which is something I do when I record most of the time. I hope they'll add more effects though. I had the Axe Fx 2 which is probably the best when it comes to effects and controlling many parameters via MIDI, but I wanted to be able to profile my amps. I guess we'll see.

If you use them for recording, the smart thing to do is simply record raw guitar and left side (spdif) at the first time, and just reamp the raw track to get the rigth side. In the end of the day, you will have left, right and raw and the possibility to go back and use another amp/setting whenever you want.

The answer is 42

• ToneWars just did a blind shootout and Kemper smoked the QC on tone and feel

Granted it was with 3 Metal guitarist, but it was pretty definitive

The replay will be up soon. It’s long but well worth a watch

176 (Kemper) compared to 142 (Quad Cortex) in blind tone and feel scores. Way to go, Kemper! I'm glad you introduced me to their channel. Seems like quality content.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.