Valve Train Powertrain Stage 50 Users

• It depends obviously, however I don’t think I’ve turned the master on the valvetrain past noon yet. Usually set it slightly lower than that then adjust monitor out volume on Kemper Stage. Tons of volume on tap any way you slice it! Loving this set up. Eager to put a Kemper Kone into the valvetrain at some point...

• Very curious to hear more about these Valvetrains. Sounds like you two guys are loving it. I was looking at the 20 w version. I actually really love the design, despite it being so retro looking (I like to play more heavy stuff that than that would belie).

Any pros, cons, gotchas?

I'm assuming you don't have to crank the Valvetrain to add the tubey goodness to your tone? Or if you do, you can actually minimize the destructive volume (if needed) to play somewhat quietly but still get that tubey goodness?

Very intrigued....can't believe I haven't heard of these before.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

• Any pros, cons, gotchas?

I'm assuming you don't have to crank the Valvetrain to add the tubey goodness to your tone? Or if you do, you can actually minimize the destructive volume (if needed) to play somewhat quietly but still get that tubey goodness?

To paraphrase I think the Valvetrain manual says it can be used in two ways. At low volume it acts more like a monitor, higher volume gives you that warm tubey sound. To me, it sounds great at all volumes. As you crank the amps volume you can obviously turn down your rig volume so you don't make your ears bleed. No cons here. I've struggled to find the right monitoring situation for about two years now and this sounds by far the best to me.

• To paraphrase I think the Valvetrain manual says it can be used in two ways. At low volume it acts more like a monitor, higher volume gives you that warm tubey sound. To me, it sounds great at all volumes. As you crank the amps volume you can obviously turn down your rig volume so you don't make your ears bleed. No cons here. I've struggled to find the right monitoring situation for about two years now and this sounds by far the best to me.

Thx Kyle....

That sounds really good. I wish there was somewhere around here I can try one, but I don't think that is in the cards.

Cheers....

Todd

• Agreed....I’ve been through most popular monitoring solutions and while some were pretty good I can say that they don’t compare to stage 50. I got it because I usually play small rooms where we don’t use PA for guitars. This is the thump solution I’ve been looking for. However I’ve always been a 1x12 guy anyway so this fits perfectly for me. You may want to test it out if you’re expecting a 4x12 beatdown.

Highly recommend otherwise.....and the price stinks, but really no regrets.

• Agreed....I’ve been through most popular monitoring solutions and while some were pretty good I can say that they don’t compare to stage 50. I got it because I usually play small rooms where we don’t use PA for guitars. This is the thump solution I’ve been looking for. However I’ve always been a 1x12 guy anyway so this fits perfectly for me. You may want to test it out if you’re expecting a 4x12 beatdown.

Highly recommend otherwise.....and the price stinks, but really no regrets.

I just received the Studio 20. It is excellent! I've gone from super heavy AMS12, to Atomic CLR and now the ValveTrain. It is EVERYTHING that was promised. It's the tubey punch I've been looking for that will cut through the mix. I'm also playing in small clubs and it is way more than enough. Bigger club? We'll mic it into PA. I am SUPER HAPPY, highly recommended and price high tho not quite stinky, but really no regrets.

'19 Relish Eucalypt Mary | '17 PRS McCarty 594 | '15 PRS 408 | '96 PRS Custom 22 | '78 Les Paul Custom | '19 Silver Sky

Kemper Toaster | Rack | Remote

Friedman ASM-12 | Atomic CLR Neo Mk II Wedge | ValveTrain Powertrain Studio 20

• Recently had to return my 50 for a refund - just died on me one day and AMS was super cool with the return and refund - I LOVED this thing and I am definitely going to replace it. I had gigged small clubs with it and it sounded great!

1. I am considering going with the Britt model from British Audio as opposed to the generic 50 that I previously had - does anyone have any experience with both? I believe the only sonic difference is the speaker, a red white and blue in the Britt as opposed to a Legend in the generic version. I love Britt profiles, but I really don’t play country, more classic rock tones, so I am not 100% sure if it would be right for me?
    2. Also, I was using with cab sims “on” which seemed crazy but HW and Britt had a YouTube vid where they talked about this and so I gave it a try, really liked it - any others using cab sims “on” with this thing?!

For anyone considering one of these, I love(d) mine.

• I was looking at the 20 w version.

Any pros, cons, gotchas?

I love the Studio 20. It's pretty light (about half the weight of the Stage 50), toaster fits right on top with no wobble on the strap. I'm a little worried on some upcoming gigs that are past the "small club" level and are not known for mic'ing or DI for FOH. Will the 10s give enough push? I don't know...

'19 Relish Eucalypt Mary | '17 PRS McCarty 594 | '15 PRS 408 | '96 PRS Custom 22 | '78 Les Paul Custom | '19 Silver Sky

• I just received the Studio 20. It is excellent! I've gone from super heavy AMS12, to Atomic CLR and now the ValveTrain. It is EVERYTHING that was promised. It's the tubey punch I've been looking for that will cut through the mix. I'm also playing in small clubs and it is way more than enough. Bigger club? We'll mic it into PA. I am SUPER HAPPY, highly recommended and price high tho not quite stinky, but really no regrets.

Do you have your cab sims on or off when using your valvetrain Matt?

• I use the Monitor Out and I turned the cab sim off and it sounds really good.
    I tried with it on and it didn't sound as good with some definite coloration.

I just saw another comment that said they are using it with the sim on though.

• I currently use the monitor out with the cabinet left on. It sounds great to me off or on. Off the amp sounds a little more articulate and on to me there is some perceived "beefiness" added to the tone, which I personally like.

I went for the MBritt verison and I love it. Just from the overview on the website the EM12 has round/punchy bass, and smooth mids and highs. The Red, White, and Blues has a tight bass, smooth mids, sparkling highs. I would be more inclined to think that the EM12 is a little more "flat", but I don't worry about any slight coloration in the tone. Any coloration is just warm tubey goodness. A lot of people use the Kemper because they want to play spitting image of the amp that was profiled. Im not concerned with that, I just want my tone to sound good. I think I am going to buy a EM12 and compare soon.

• Any one try to compare Valve Train

Powertrain Stage 20 or 50 with new Kemper Kabinet?

have not compared them and haven't seen a Kabinet in Hawaii yet. My Studio 20 is acting a little funky right now tho. Super distorted and volume drops. Hopefully it's just the tubes.

• Just want to tap in here one more time. I have started using a few effects pedals with the Kemper over the last few days and it sounds substantially better with the cab off to me. I am using a Ryra Klone up front and have been trying to find the right position for a Q-tron Micro. I can't really get it to quack unless my guitar in on 10 using humbuckers. The other guitarist in my band likes to put it before delay and reverb. I think it actually sounds way better there as well, but I am getting a lot of hiss from the effects loop.

Recently had to return my 50 for a refund - just died on me one day and AMS was super cool with the return and refund - I LOVED this thing and I am definitely going to replace it. I had gigged small clubs with it and it sounded great!

Did you identify what the problem was with your unit? Did you ever replace, I'm looking to get one of these units soon

• Any different opinions of the PT50 here? Looking to get one soon, not a lot of reviews or demos out there from Kemper users other than a couple of M Britt clips. Any info would be great! Looking for info on reliability, quality, overall experiences.

• I did replace - have not had a problem since with the new unit.....I never did find out what the issue was with the original one I had - just stopped working one day. Played a show at a club the other night with my new one and it performed flawlessly for several hours, volume was at about 1 o'clock for the whole show. The thing is LOUD!