S/PDIF Sample Rates

• Hi!

Recently started using S/PDIF for recording, but I've noticed that there are some audible clicks when using high gain profiles, especially during heavy palm muting. Changed the sample rate to 96 kHz and sound quality was improved. None of the other sample rates made any difference. There are still some very minor clicks but I reckon they won't be heard in a mix.

Kemper is correctly set to master and interface to slave. I have also experimented with clean sense but it doesn't make any difference. I'm using Reaper as DAW.

So to my question. Is there any drawback to using 96 kHz? From my understanding most people stick with 44,1 and get great results from that, but that doesn't work well for me.

Thanks

• did you adjust the sample rate of the audio interface as well?

both need to be set to 44.1kHz if you want to use that sample rate.

if set up correctly, clicks are most likely due to the soundcard/driver/stuff running in the background,

have you tried a larger buffer size?

• Which version are you running on the Kemper? 7.1.5 has a lot of clicks over SPDIF for me, even when the Kemper is the master. I don't get those with the latest beta (with Kemper as master as well).

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Which version are you running on the Kemper? 7.1.5 has a lot of clicks over SPDIF for me, even when the Kemper is the master. I don't get those with the latest beta (with Kemper as master as well).

I'm running 7.1.2. Haven't updated it since I got in Dec 2019. Can that be the reason I'm getting clicks?

• I'm running 7.1.2. Haven't updated it since I got in Dec 2019. Can that be the reason I'm getting clicks?

I haven't tried that version, but yes it's possible.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I found SPDIF clipped the input a lot more than going direct (guitar to input and direct recording) or using XLR Reamp. What I had to do was set the channel that sends back the dry guitar from the DAW to the Kemper to - 5 then on the Kemper set the SPDIF reamp to +5 to reduce the volume hitting the SPDIF input then make the gain back up

• Update number 2:

Certaint high gain profiles with a lot of low end still crackle and click during palm muting.

Crackle _and_ click? Doesn't sound like SPDIF related then. Perhaps digital distortion somewhere in the chain? Try lowering input sense (I know....) and the gain on your soundcard to see if it helps.

• I've had issues with constant clicking through SPDIF. On my interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen) I change the Sync Source from Internal to S/PDIF.

This means that the interface will no longer use it's internal PLL for generating the sampling clock, but rely on the Kemper signal, which I think is autodetected from the digital packets sent on the coax cable. The clicking stopped entirely.

The drawback is that when I close the Kemper, the interface will no longer work, because the clock signal disappears of course. Luckily, on the 18i20 Scarlett MixControl I simply change back to Internal Sync which works with no hiccups.