4 Cable Method no longer possible..

• Hey all, may be a weird one so bear with me.

I used to run OS 5. (something) and I ran a 4CM with my EVH. I did so this like this:

Guitar -> Kemper Input

Direct Output (Guitar+Processing) -> EVH Input

EVH Send -> Kemper Return

Monitor Output (Master Mono) -> EVH Return

The result was fantastic, but with the newest software, the direct output is locked for fx loop use, so I thought to simply use the monitor output as the guitar + processing signal. The problem is, it doesn't work this way. I'm curious to know if anyone has been able to successfully run a 4cm with the newest software update, and if so, can point me in the direction of that working method. Thanks in advance.

• nothing has changed regarding the functionality of the direct output other than the option to use it as the left output for a second stereo monitoring output pair. You can still set it to the same output sources just like before.

BTW correct me if I am wrong but to use the 4 cable method you actually need to use the FX loop in the Profiler.

By placing a mono FX loop in stomp D you can send the signal including the tuner/noisegate and stomps A,B,C to the input of your external amp from the Profilers direct out and then use the return of the Profiler to receive the signal post stack from the send of the external preamp. That signal then gets processed with X,MOD, DELAY and REVERB and send back to the return of the external amp from the monitor out with the master mono setting.

• nothing has changed regarding the functionality of the direct output other than the option to use it as the left output for a second stereo monitoring output pair. You can still set it to the same output sources just like before.

BTW correct me if I am wrong but to use the 4 cable method you actually need to use the FX loop in the Profiler.

By placing a mono FX loop in stomp D you can send the signal including the tuner/noisegate and stomps A,B,C to the input of your external amp from the Profilers direct out and then use the return of the Profiler to receive the signal post stack from the send of the external preamp. That signal then gets processed with X,MOD, DELAY and REVERB and send back to the return of the external amp from the monitor out with the master mono setting.

You are correct, and I used to run my setup the exact way you're describing, but since the most recent update, when I have an FX loop stomp in a rig, my output menu's direct out/send option is greyed out and says "Direct Output used for Effect Loop." After some experimentation I learned that the greyed Direct Output doesn't function as it did before.

• You are correct, and I used to run my setup the exact way you're describing, but since the most recent update, when I have an FX loop stomp in a rig, my output menu's direct out/send option is greyed out and says "Direct Output used for Effect Loop." After some experimentation I learned that the greyed Direct Output doesn't function as it did before.

in which way does it not function anymore? The display only informs you that the direct out is indeed used when a fx loop is active and changing the output source setting is not possible because of that. The signal that is present at the direct out is determined by the position of the fx loop in the signal chain in the rig.

• in which way does it not function anymore? The display only informs you that the direct out is indeed used when a fx loop is active and changing the output source setting is not possible because of that. The signal that is present at the direct out is determined by the position of the fx loop in the signal chain in the rig.

I ran my direct out as guitar+processing into the front of my EVH, which it no longer does. If I can't change the output source of the direct out, what is it set to? If I know what it stays as then I could most likely find a workaround.

• There is no need to change the output source settings when the fx loop is active. When the loop is active the signal that is present at the direct out is determined by the position of the loop. If you want to send just the naked guitar signal after it has passed the AD conversion you should simply place the fx loop in Stomp A. This is exactly what the Git/processing output source delivers. To get the most out of a 4 cable setup stomp D is the perfect spot for the FX loop as I already explained in my previous post.

• There is no need to change the output source settings when the fx loop is active. When the loop is active the signal that is present at the direct out is determined by the position of the loop. If you want to send just the naked guitar signal after it has passed the AD conversion you should simply place the fx loop in Stomp A. This is exactly what the Git/processing output source delivers. To get the most out of a 4 cable setup stomp D is the perfect spot for the FX loop as I already explained in my previous post.

Hm. Understood, I'll get working on it next time I'm at the studio. Thanks for your help!