NAMM 2020

• I found the Kone prototype from the Namm 2019 more beautiful. It could be stacked nicely. The handle on the top looks nice, but is totally impractical, so you can't put the KPA Head on the box :(

Are there any real news? Kone and Editor were already introduced last year at Namm.

Sure you can.

As for news...the cabinet was announced, never shipped. Now it will.

"What Kemper have shown last year as a proof of concept is now a shipping ready product..."

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Shipping ready as in "end of Q1".
    "end of Q1" as in "end of Q3" ;)

Nah. Very different thing than software. If they're shipping in Q1, the product has already been released for production. Raw materials have long since been ordered and manufacturing either will or has begun.

• ready to buy.

My biggest gripe with the KPA is that I’ve never been happy with my “frfr” monitoring solutions. I’ve only tried two different speakers (Yamaha and Mission) but haven’t wanted to throw good money after bad. They are ok and they work, but there’s always something not quite right and I find myself “tolerating” the tone and still having fun, but I want the tone to inspire.

My best experience has been with my 4/10 cabinet...love playing my KPA through that....but I want to be able to send what I hear to FOH. Hopefully this new Kabinet will help me bridge that gap.

• Ruefus

If you look closely at the picture, you will see that the KPA Head is not correctly positioned on the box.

Fender Am. Strat Standard | Fender Elite Standard | Ibanez AZ 2204 | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Suhr Standard Plus | Epiphone ES-335 Lim. Ed. |

Kemper Stage | Kemper Kone | Line6 HX Stomp | Strymon Sunset | Line 6 Relay G30 |

LD Systems U500 InEar | Behringer X32 Compact

SKEEN - Join The Revolution In Screen Protection

• Nah. Very different thing than software. If they're shipping in Q1, the product has already been released for production. Raw materials have long since been ordered and manufacturing either will or has begun.

All the speaker imprint processing is being done within the KPA so the software needs to be ready as well.

• Nah, if you remember it was full of bugs. It would make loud noises every time he switched a speaker imprint. It wasn't ready

Nah. It was a click and CK admitted it saying that was the last thing.

• There’s a brief sound bite of the acoustic sim on Kemper’s FB feed :)

A question.... I haven’t played live for a while and am unlikely to in the foreseeable future. The Kone price isn’t horrific and I have an actual guitar cab that is unused with a regular guitar speaker in it where I could obviously drop the Kone in. But I have an unpowered toaster.

Forgive me if this is silly but...... for home use, could I simply use a hi-fi amp? I have an old one laying around..... not quite sure why folks are needing 600w power amps to feed a single speaker?? It’s kind of overkill isn’t it?

• ready to buy.

My biggest gripe with the KPA is that I’ve never been happy with my “frfr” monitoring solutions. I’ve only tried two different speakers (Yamaha and Mission) but haven’t wanted to throw good money after bad. They are ok and they work, but there’s always something not quite right and I find myself “tolerating” the tone and still having fun, but I want the tone to inspire.

My best experience has been with my 4/10 cabinet...love playing my KPA through that....but I want to be able to send what I hear to FOH. Hopefully this new Kabinet will help me bridge that gap.

Well, the Kabinet's specificity is in that it allows to both use the classic cones' simulation, or work as an FRFR cab, or work as a GRFR cab.
    Probably GRFR is what you need (ever tried an LG-12 by Red Sound?), but keep in mind that only a linear and flat cabinet will really tell you what you are sending to the mixer (and no warranty that it will be what they hear from FOH :p )

Anyway, Kabinet is passive, hope you are aware of that.

:)

The news flash NAMM 2020 on the kemper home page says there will be tech and fx previews. I’m hoping maybe some new overdrives.

Acoustic simulation was announced :)

A question.... I haven’t played live for a while and am unlikely to in the foreseeable future. The Kone price isn’t horrific and I have an actual guitar cab that is unused with a regular guitar speaker in it where I could obviously drop the Kone in. But I have an unpowered toaster.

Forgive me if this is silly but...... for home use, could I simply use a hi-fi amp? I have an old one laying around..... not quite sure why folks are needing 600w power amps to feed a single speaker?? It’s kind of overkill isn’t it?

You could certainly try one. Chances are it will distort more easily, specially with clean, impulsive sounds.

OTOH, you don't have to use the Kemper power amp: there are lots of third-part retrofit amps for the Toaster.

As a side note, keep in mind that a Kone installed in a generic cabinet might not be as linear as the Kabinet: designing a linear cabinet does not only involve using a linear cone but implies a study of the internal size, stationary waves, resonance frequencies, dumping and much more.

IOW, a generic cabinet (specially when of totally different size and/or form factor) may sound way different.

Since the KPA is able to drive the Kabinet to full linearity, the overall response (both in frequency and phase) is a critical factor.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• Thanks Pippopluto.

I guess that’s something else worth asking..... are they intending the Kone to go into your own ‘flat’ cabinet or are the saying, because they can make it sound like a real guitar speaker, that it will work well in a real guitar cabinet? Logic would say that the acoustic sim would work better in a flat cab but for the actual guitar shapes? I wonder :)

• If Kemper doesn't release a powered version soon I'm sure it won't be long before one of the usual suspects creates a powered 'ready for Kone' cab... and with the availability of pedals such as the Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum and Orange Terror Stamp the pedal route is another relatively painless way to go. Either way, 2020 should prove quite interesting...

The older I get, the better I was.