The New Kemper Kone

• What you get from current FRFR solutions is the sound of a mic'd cabinet. IRs always include the response from the microphone along with the speaker. A speaker with a SM57 alone will sound different than one mic'd with a 57 and a ribbon mic, which will sound different if you add a room mic. They're all the same speaker, but you will get *wildly* different results.

The Kone is meant to give you the sound of *just* the speaker in a cabinet. The same as you would with a regular amp and speaker.

To me, the Kone makes direct profiles more valuable. You can remove the cabinet from a merged profile and it'll work great. But having an amp-only profile coupled with the Kone? That should be epic.

That all makes sense. Very interesting. Now I think it could be a great step forward.

What happens when playing live? I guess not a mike to the Kone.

So what do you send to the mixer? That signal needs some kind of guitar speaker emulation, too.

Thank you very much, Ruefus.

• I'm sure you can send the signal with normal full IR to the FOH

• CK has just opened a thread on the subject.

In it it does say not suitable for close miking, so you are correct. The speaker emulation comes from the KPA so I assume the "kone" bit...

• As I get it you will use the monitor out or speaker out to send the signal to the Kone. Here you can remove the cab emulation and apply speaker impressions so you get that nice speaker sound on your stage cab. To FOH you use the main output for which cabinet emulation will be used and not the speaker impression.

• UGH!!! For those of you who were thinking of doing the same thing as me...

I was hoping to use the Kone with my RARELY (never) used Tech 21 Power Engine. (The old one, not the Deuce) The manual stated that a speaker impedance of 8 Ohm was optimum.

I emailed their tech support about using a 4 Ohm speaker (the Kone only comes in 4 Ohm). The reply was...

"We don't recommend running the unit at 4 ohms as it will cause it to overheat."

:cursing:

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

Edited once, last by HCarlH ().

• Having the same idea with XiTone MBritt cab. I looked up the amp specs and it does support 4ohm. Fingers crossed...

• Crap.

• I wonder how well the Kone software would work with the 8 Ohm Celestion version:

(This whole deal reminds me of the Emagic/Mackie collaboration over the Logic Control - and the release of the Mackie Control shortly afterwards.)

Here is the 8 Ohm Celestion K12H-200TC

https://celestion.com/product/138/k12h200tc/

There is also a 100 W version:

https://celestion.com/product/139/k12h100tc/

The 200w product is shown as having sensitivity of 98dB (at 1 watt) while the 100 W version has 97 dB efficiency rating.

Both have a 50oz magnet (1.4 kG weight) but the voice coil is 1.75 in for the 100W and 2.0 inch for the 200 W.

Here is a commercial listing with pricing:

https://www.parts-express.com/…XfD_BwE#lblProductDetails

• I have all sorts of odd-ball amps and cabs and find the Weber Z-matcher invaluable. Pricey solution, but I don't see why I wouldn't work for the Kone. It's a great gadget to have, probably my most borrowed piece of gear

• I have all sorts of odd-ball amps and cabs and find the Weber Z-matcher invaluable. Pricey solution, but I don't see why I wouldn't work for the Kone. It's a great gadget to have, probably my most borrowed piece of gear

That's a cool piece of gear! I'd buy if it was 1/2 the price.; too pricey when the end result is to use with my Power Engine. Time to sell the Power Engine since it's useless for my needs.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• That's a cool piece of gear! I'd buy if it was 1/2 the price.; too pricey when the end result is to use with my Power Engine. Time to sell the Power Engine since it's useless for my needs.

You can get a used one under $100. Yup, still expensive and another piece of gear to haul around but it's built like a tank and will last a lifetime