The New Kemper Kone

• I think it’s a matter of what you are used to. The guitarist who learns his art on a kemper etc is probably starting from a better situation because he never Spent years playing with the amp in the room sound. He therefore never has a problem. The other guy( like me). Spent many years playing the amp in the room. To folks who regard it as a bar band sound. It took a long time to get used to playing without that amp in the room sound to play to what everyone else considers to be a much more professional sound.

Yeah, definitely a matter of what people become accustomed to, just like guitar tones in general.

I started playing in the early 70s and getting a good tone was always a challenge, in bars and rehearsals alike, because I was usually broke and couldn't afford better gear. I was a rock guy but played Fender amps for years because Marshalls were way more expensive. And back then, no matter what amp you had, you typically had to crank it to get the kind of sound you'd expect. Sometimes the bar owners would tolerate it. Often they wouldn't. If your sound depended on pushing the amp and you had to turn it down, it was going to be a bad night.

Ironically, I wasn't able to afford better amps until I stopped playing for a living and started programming. But by then, many of my "amp in the room" memories were less than fond.

Tube amps are awesome when you're in an environment where you can push them the way they need to be pushed. After all, the profiles I love are all tube amps. But volume is a factor in the real world, now more than ever. Plus, even if I could have afforded a Marshall back then, I couldn't push a button and transform it into a Vox for the second song of the set and a Dumble for the third.

Man, I would have killed for a Kemper in the 70s and 80s.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I have always had a love hate relationship with tube amps. MY very first show with a tube amp and I had a power tube blow a few songs into the first set and went from lead guitarist to backup vocalist. I could not afford a backup amp back then and when the Laney went is sucked. Because of that I refused to play tube amps live and still wont use them live. My first jump into modeling was the Line 6 Flextone amps in the late 90's and have been on modeling and profiling platforms ever since. I do still love that amp in the room feel and I have a power amp and real cab to get that feeling but if I am playing live it a Line 6 powercab for a monitor and XLR for anything else needed above that. The only draw back to that is pushing to a real cab colors all the profiles the same way.

That being said, lets not overlook one other important factor with the units like a Kemper. This is tube amp tone with solid state reliability.

• I have always had a love hate relationship with tube amps. MY very first show with a tube amp and I had a power tube blow a few songs into the first set and went from lead guitarist to backup vocalist. I could not afford a backup amp back then and when the Laney went is sucked. Because of that I refused to play tube amps live and still wont use them live. My first jump into modeling was the Line 6 Flextone amps in the late 90's and have been on modeling and profiling platforms ever since. I do still love that amp in the room feel and I have a power amp and real cab to get that feeling but if I am playing live it a Line 6 powercab for a monitor and XLR for anything else needed above that. The only draw back to that is pushing to a real cab colors all the profiles the same way.

That being said, lets not overlook one other important factor with the units like a Kemper. This is tube amp tone with solid state reliability.

Bummer of a first gig! I'd be gun shy, too.

Of course, no tech is bulletproof. In the late 80s I was working as a bass player. I'm a really bad bassist, but I needed the money and it was a 50s show band so that much I could handle. I had an old solid state Sun amp. Can't remember the model, but there was this really big resistor that kept coming loose, causing the amp to start cutting in and out. My best friend was an amp tech and said there was something about the design (or that particular amp, can't remember) that made it run hot, thus weakening the joint. In other words, it is what it is.

I couldn't afford to get another amp, so I just started carrying a soldering iron with me to gigs. It wasn't uncommon to seem me with the amp on a table between sets fixing the damned resistor. Eventually I started running it with the top off. Whatever gets you through the night.

I don't miss those days even a little.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• To be fair, I've never had a tube amp fail on me, although I think I was lucky, but the tone was always slightly variable for a multitude of reasons.

For me the amp in the room sound is partially nostalgia and partially the organic temperamentality thang...there is definitely a mindset change moving to the KPA and personally I also have never looked back. I'd take the massive convenience, flex and access to sounds over an unpredictable but loveable valve set up anyday...

• To be fair, I've never had a tube amp fail on me, although I think I was lucky, but the tone was always slightly variable for a multitude of reasons.

For me the amp in the room sound is partially nostalgia and partially the organic temperamentality thang...there is definitely a mindset change moving to the KPA and personally I also have never looked back. I'd take the massive convenience, flex and access to sounds over an unpredictable but loveable valve set up anyday...

I've only had one failure at a gig with a tube amp. Had about 30 minutes to go and a power tube went out. Limped through the end. That being said I agree with your overall sentiment.

• I've never really understood the appeal of the "amp in the room" thing if you're into modeling. We spend a lot of time and money finding the correct profiles that provide that perfect mic'd up sound that we're used to hearing on our favorite recordings. Everybody wants Eddie's tone...or Stevie's tone...or Angus' tone...or whoever you like. But those classic tones are mic'd up sounds.

Why the desire to hear something different than what the audience hears?

It's nice to have the option. Personal preference. One size need not fit all...