Reamped track sounds very different than original Stack

• I suspect this is a problem with input/output levels, but I'm not sure exactly where the problem is.

I'm recording via the S/PDIF output and using the Git/Stack option: on my DAW, one track is recording the DI and another one is recording the Stack.

My issue is that the original Stack signal sounds very bad compared to the reamped version. I would hope they would sound very similiar, if not identical ?

When I reamp the DI signal (interface output -> Kemper Return -> Kemper S/PDIF -> interface input), it actually sounds good. This leads me to think that:

a) The signal going from my DAW to the Kemper and back is fine.

b) Something is off somewhere along the signal from my guitar to the Kemper and into the Stack output to the DAW.

I must mention I am using active pickups, so the signal is coming hot from my guitar to the front input of the Kemper. I've tried adjusting the clean sense (-5dB) in order to account for that.

Any thoughts ?

Here's an audio clip (first one is the reamped version, then the Stack version and finally the DI)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7dq…reamp-comparison.mp3?dl=0

Appreciate any help!

• I would first check the levels going to the DAW. Although SPDIF shouldn’t clip I like to leave some headroom by sending a slightly lower signal.

also check the level you are sending back to KPA during reamping to make sure it is the same as the level originally received by the DAW

next step would be to double check that there is absolutely no plugins in the DAW channel that are are active but have been forgotten about.

• Thank you! I believe your suggestions pointed me to the direction I needed.

I'm now a lot closer to a similar tones between the direct Stack and the reamped version. Two things which are apparently making a difference are tweaks to the Clean Sens when recording and Distortion Sens when reamping. Plus, I just learned I can save those settings as presets. Sweet!8)