Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• I got this for sure. But what interest for the imprints then? I assume if you use them with a given speaker for monitoring it means that you prefer such sound for yourself so why wouldn’t you want such a better sound for FOH too? why not have an official IR that would make an ‘as close as possible’ sound for FOH?

Is it a weird question? I mean, it has taken me time to get used to a mic’ed sound and in the end this is an evolution in my tone, especially when hopping to venues with different setups. Why go back? wouldn’t an option to ‘use closest imprint sound for FOH’ make sense?

Because to get that sound to the entire audience requires mic'ing it, so you're back to the standard Kemper rig. The KK is for you on stage.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• This was my concern. It does answer the amp in the room question but reverts the original problem of a regular amp.

We can't get away from the physics/different signal paths, at least with the KPA and Kabinet we have the options I guess.

• No, it won't hurt it at all. Increasing the impedance will lower the output wattage though (basic Ohm's Law), but the powered KPAs have so much headroom that it won't be much of an issue. I run my powered rack into a Marshall 1960B cab set to 16 ohms all the time.

I assumed that was the case, but I guess there must be an upper limit. anyway, I suspect its not a limit any normal/sane person will find..

• Please tell me what real circumstances may occur, to be in Need of the Speaker's or even the Profiler's volume limitations. Even on a loud stage with a loud Drummer and the bass-bins under stage I never needed so much volume at all.

I have not come close to using all the power in the power amp, so much headroom and so loud...there are some crazy people out there though :)

I did try to find out how loud my Laney 100w amp would be and blew 2x12's in the process...but I was being a prat..

• ckemper

Just a quick thank you for opening this discussion and offering to answer questions.

You must have had some grief over the editor but you've put yourselves out there again ( in advance of something being ready).

I for one appreciate it ( I don't want to trigger lots of "and me", so perhaps just like this post if you agree) and wanted to acknowledge it.

Right, do I get a discount/first in the queue for one? :)

• Let's not forget that SPL depends on the speakers' efficiency in addition to amp's output voltage.
    No consideration about "volume" makes sense without this datum.
    Efficiency is how loud a cab sounds with one volt's input.
    Kabinet/Kone seem to be quite efficient? This would ensure a high SPL with not much voltage (or volume, if you will) from the amp.
    If you build a cab with more speakers, add 3 dB for each of them.

I got this for sure. But what interest for the imprints then?

Kabinet is meant for those who monitor themselves on stage via a guitar cab.
    If one is not interested in a backline system, the only advantage over a passive FRFR is the milder response and narrower diffusion pattern, which places Kabinet closer to a GRFR cab.

can we expect some official IRs, or equivalent, which are the 'speaker imprints for FOH'? of course they will be mic'ed

Well, the KPA has already thousands of mic'ed cabs tones available. If your goal is to have the same signal as FOH from your backline any linear cab would be perfect!

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• There is more to it than just diffusion and a milder response. On-stage monitoring is also not just the only consideration. Missing the amp-in-the-room feel has always been a complaint of any IR-based system. IRs provide a mic'd cab sound. With the Kabinet, the microphone is completely removed from the signal path.

FRFRs can’t do that in any real sense of the word. The only way to get the amp-in-the-room sound right now is to turn off the cab section and run through a regular guitar cabinet. While certainly a solution many choose, it's limiting factor is that you're stuck with whatever speakers are in there. Imprints are intended to give you specific speaker sounds. Without the microphone involvement.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• Have you blown a Kone with the powered Kemper? I would want to use it in full band situation during practice. Would I have to get two to be loud enough for metal and to help take the wattage of the powered Kemper?

• Have you blown a Kone with the powered Kemper? I would want to use it in full band situation during practice. Would I have to get two to be loud enough for metal and to help take the wattage of the powered Kemper?

One Kone should be enough to compete with just about any practice situation and even live ones where there's no PA. I mean, if a 200 watt speaker can't get it done, how can speakers with way less than half that rating (Greenbacks, Vintage 30s etc) have done so since the dawn of the electric guitar?

There is no issue with the wattage. That only becomes relevant when you turn the power amp up too far. At which point your ears are going to be bleeding anyway and the speaker is going to let you know you're screwing up by sounding horrible.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• This is the most critical question for me. If stored with the rig, you could change to an appropriate imprint for the current rig in your performance (or flat if it's for acoustic). If global, what's the point?

Mr. Kemper may have already answered my question during ToneJunkie's NAMM interview:

"You can choose the route on a daily basis, or on an hourly basis, or even on a rig basis."

The context, was regarding switching between full range and an imprint based on the needs of the rig...but if there's already a provision to switch, it would be silly if you couldn't also change which imprint the rig uses.

This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

• Mr. Kemper may have already answered my question during ToneJunkie's NAMM interview:

"You can choose the route on a daily basis, or on an hourly basis, or even on a rig basis."

The context, was regarding switching between full range and an imprint based on the needs of the rig...but if there's already a provision to switch, it would be silly if you couldn't also change which imprint the rig uses.

From the draft Owner's Manual:

You probably use Direct Profiles in your live set, such as acoustic guitar sounds or bass rigs. Direct Profiles are marked by having the Cabinet Module set to „empty“, thus featuring a full range sound. Running a full range sound through a classic guitar speaker is unpleasant. Therefore, in speaker imprint mode (MonitorCabOff active), when switching to a Direct Profile, Kemper Kone will automatically switch to full range mode for that rig. No preparation needed.

• Having just watched tonejunkie’s video on the kemper kone, i think back to a flaw i discovered that was, i was told, a correction (i will be slapped for labelling as such) implied by kemper that affects the sound of the cabinet block where the EQ response of all cabinets got changed. I found it odd that it took late v5 firmware before this was picked up and addressed which in my opinion has since delivered sub-standard results only when using the kpa purely for cabinet only. (The regular signal path, amp->cab still renders as expected as if part of the tone processing was moved out of the cab block into the amp block)

With the arrival of the kone, Im now guessing this modification was in preparation for the kone, which obviously was under develpment at that time. Unless you use just the cab and nothing else you will most likely not even be aware of this change that was introduced in v5.7 firmware. I may be wrong but it bares some logic, in my opinion.

To explain further, see the post on the issue found;

v5.7.x Cabinet sound changed

• - What is the frequency response for the speaker? Will it handle a low B note from a bass?
    - What does the cabinet weigh?

- Will the IR for a DI rig be saved with the rig, I.e. do we have a choice to use ? Or is it one preset?

Thanks

- The frequency responce is reasonably wide (I don‘t have exact numbers on my hand right now), equal or better to linear speakers out there, that are used by guitarists. It will handle bass easily. I will have some more to say about bass.

- 11 kg and a bit.

- Maybe I didn‘t get the question. Speaker imprints are not IRs in a regular fashion. They cannot be loaded or saved, only selected.

• Two questions... when will they be available to (pre)order through the Kemper store and besides the Kemper logo and 4Ω impedance, are there any other differences between the Kemper Kone and the Celestion K12H-200TC?

Thanks!!!

They will be available at our online store of course! Will be listed when available.

The Kone will be available on our store only.

The Kone is a modification of the K12H-200, where we have redesigned the inner wizzer cone down to a smaller size, to achieve a different dispersion pattern for the high frequencies.

The Kone / Kabinet and the adjaced digital part in the Profiler perfectly match. You cannot run another speaker (including the K12H-200) with it, as it would result in a reasonably different frequency responce.