Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• But, the Imprints are designed to sound like traditional guitar speakers when connected to a specific speaker (Kone). My guess is they would sound quite different with FOH Horns and Drivers.

Fair point. I've used imprints on the XiTone MBritt, and through my mixer to Yamaha HS80-Ms and they sound pretty good. Have yet to try on my Bose L1 or DXR10.

That being said, they're designed for the Kone/Kab and that's where they're always going to sound best.

• Thanks for the info, guys.
    I’m just using the cab just for jamming at home. Live, I’m still only using the Main outputs and dialing in my sounds with headphones. I get that I wouldn’t use a direct profile with no cab live haha so I guess it’s a moot point. I was just surprised.

• One way would be to use the XLR outputs on a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700. Just turn the Cab Sim off. That way you get Imprints to the Kones/Kabs and to FOH.

The imprints are only applied to the monitor out(s). The Main Outs get the cab section from the profile in use - or whatever cabinet is locked on the CAB part of the Stack section.

• Hello,

I've got one question,

For the imprints, to operate, you have to tick "Monitor Cab off" and "Kemper Kone".

I've tried to tick "Kemper Kone" with "Monitor Cab Off" Off. In this case, i know that i use the cab block, the imprint is inactive.

When i play with the tick of "Kemper Kone" on and off, the sound seems to change. What is the incidence of this parameter in this case ?

I thought that the Kone was a FRFR speaker, i don't catch its behavior in this case.... Does it mean i have to EQing something or stuff like that if i use the Kone with another modeler ?

Have you noticed the same ?

• The Kone speaker has a non-flat response. To achieve a flat/FRFR mode the Kemper applies a corrective EQ. If you wanted to use it with another modeller you would need to apply a similar correction - an IR might do the trick.

When the Kemper applies an imprint to the signal via the monitor outs, it is applying a different corrective Eq to mimic the sonic signature of the chosen speaker.

• The imprints are only applied to the monitor out(s). The Main Outs get the cab section from the profile in use - or whatever cabinet is locked on the CAB part of the Stack section.

That's true, but I have my monitor out in stereo with the direct out. They go to the inputs of my SD700, and the outputs to my Kabs. Therefore the XLR out of the SD700 has the imprint sounds as well.

• The Kone speaker has a non-flat response. To achieve a flat/FRFR mode the Kemper applies a corrective EQ. If you wanted to use it with another modeller you would need to apply a similar correction - an IR might do the trick.

Thanx for your input !

I thought that the Kone was a flat response speaker....:/

• That's true, but I have my monitor out in stereo with the direct out. They go to the inputs of my SD700, and the outputs to my Kabs. Therefore the XLR out of the SD700 has the imprint sounds as well.

OK - but unless you are feeding that signal to more Kones the results will not be as intended - the non-linear response of the Kones will be missing and so the imprint of a Greenback or whatever will no longer sound like a Greenback (or whatever imprint is in use) without further correction of some kind.

• OK - but unless you are feeding that signal to more Kones the results will not be as intended - the non-linear response of the Kones will be missing and so the imprint of a Greenback or whatever will no longer sound like a Greenback (or whatever imprint is in use) without further correction of some kind.

Yes, as I agreed with paults above^^^

• I've tried going through the 83 pages of this thread but haven't seen the answer to this question -- do the imprints only work with a Kone? I have Celestions F200-X12's, which I understood were essentially the Kone's -- will imprints work with these, or must one use a Kone or a Kabinet?

• They'll work, others have used them. Different sized wizzer cone I believe so not identical, someone did a comparison iirc, I think maybe he preferred the F200's on some profiles or maybe he just preferred the price of them, I can't remember

• Yup, anything hooked up to the monitor output or powered output will "work".

How well is a matter of opinion, the worst probably being a guitar cab.

I've tried them on my XiTone MBritt and you can absolutely hear the differences in imprints. And lots of them sound good.

As good as a Kabinet/Kone? No. Useful? I think so.

• I've tried going through the 83 pages of this thread but haven't seen the answer to this question -- do the imprints only work with a Kone? I have Celestions F200-X12's, which I understood were essentially the Kone's -- will imprints work with these, or must one use a Kone or a Kabinet?

I am using imprints with Yamaha DXR10 and I'm happy.