Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• the output at 4ohms is “electronically limited to 600w” so that is the absolute maximum it will put out.

Which is still triple what the speaker is rated for. I know that I wouldn't push it hard enough to blow the speaker, but I have a feeling that there are going to be folks that are going to light that sucker up.

• I see what you are saying but wouldn't it be this way if you'd just bring your ol' Marshall along and mic it? Amp in the room sound from the cabinet on stage and a mic'd up sound from the PA.

True. I guess it comes from a different starting point. You get a fab amp in the room sound and you then try to mimic this through a PA. This si reverse engineering that I guess....hurts my head a bit..

I don;t care, still gonna get one as I trust Kemper logic more than mine :)

• The Kabs have Series connections on the back of them. If you daisy chain two of them in mono , it will be an 8 ohm load.

I need to pay more attention, I missed that! I guess theoretically you can have a max of up to 4 speakers running ( 16 ohm load)?

Will it damage the KPA if I/someone added more than 4 i.e. too much load ( not that I would)?

Defo liking this - I can get a few and then take as many as a gig demands!

• I see what you are saying but wouldn't it be this way if you'd just bring your ol' Marshall along and mic it? Amp in the room sound from the cabinet on stage and a mic'd up sound from the PA.

Hi all,

been reading the news/thread. intriguing enough, I need to ask

A major interest of the KPA is to be able to precisely tune what the audience gets through FOH. if the monitoring from the Kab sounds different than FOH, then we are back in time when it was all tube amps. ckemper can we expect some official IRs, or equivalent, which are the 'speaker imprints for FOH'? of course they will be mic'ed ones but this would allow matching the sound the audience gets as close as what we have set up for personal monitoring, hence enjoy best.

does this make sense?

• For those of us with a Kemper Stage, will there be a powered Kemper Kabinet available in the future? Or should we just go Stage -> external power amp -> Kemper Kab?

Edit: OR do you recommend getting the Kemper Kone and replacing the existing speaker in, say, my Tech21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing good reviews!

Passive for now, powered in the future...

• I need to pay more attention, I missed that! I guess theoretically you can have a max of up to 4 speakers running ( 16 ohm load)?

Will it damage the KPA if I/someone added more than 4 i.e. too much load ( not that I would)?

Defo liking this - I can get a few and then take as many as a gig demands!

No, it won't hurt it at all. Increasing the impedance will lower the output wattage though (basic Ohm's Law), but the powered KPAs have so much headroom that it won't be much of an issue. I run my powered rack into a Marshall 1960B cab set to 16 ohms all the time.

• Please tell me what real circumstances may occur, to be in Need of the Speaker's or even the Profiler's volume limitations. Even on a loud stage with a loud Drummer and the bass-bins under stage I never needed so much volume at all.

• Please tell me what real circumstances may occur, to be in Need of the Speaker's or even the Profiler's volume limitations. Even on a loud stage with a loud Drummer and the bass-bins under stage I never needed so much volume at all.

Most sane people wouldn't have any legitimate reason to run that much volume, but that doesn't mean that somebody won't crank it up just to see how loud it can go. Guitarists have been blowing speakers since the earliest days of electric amplification, so it's bound to happen.

• pamplemousse : If you want to hear the same as FOH you are again with FRFR and cab monitor ON. In the explanation above you could read that the Kemper Kone automatically switches to a kind of FRFR setting (without imprints) if you switch cab monitor ON. In other words, you can use the Kemper Kone as a regular "FRFR" monitor, or if you cannot get used to the miked amp sound on stage, you can use the imprints (with switched of Cab monitor setting) and have again your regular feeling of your amp blasting near you. This wil than of course sound differently than what you hear through the FOH.

two issues spring to mind

first it is important not to cause clipping in solid state amps as this happens in a hard square wave which is very different from the soft clipping that happens in valve amps. Therefore, it is always advisable to have more power on tap and not use it than to have too little and drive the amp to its limits.

second bass players use the KPA too. Bass frequencies require much more power to be heard. It is not uncommon for bass players to have 500 - 1000w amps for this purpose.

• pamplemousse : If you want to hear the same as FOH you are again with FRFR and cab monitor ON. In the explanation above you could read that the Kemper Kone automatically switches to a kind of FRFR setting (without imprints) if you switch cab monitor ON. In other words, you can use the Kemper Kone as a regular "FRFR" monitor, or if you cannot get used to the miked amp sound on stage, you can use the imprints (with switched of Cab monitor setting) and have again your regular feeling of your amp blasting near you. This wil than of course sound differently than what you hear through the FOH.

I got this for sure. But what interest for the imprints then? I assume if you use them with a given speaker for monitoring it means that you prefer such sound for yourself so why wouldn’t you want such a better sound for FOH too? why not have an official IR that would make an ‘as close as possible’ sound for FOH?

Is it a weird question? I mean, it has taken me time to get used to a mic’ed sound and in the end this is an evolution in my tone, especially when hopping to venues with different setups. Why go back? wouldn’t an option to ‘use closest imprint sound for FOH’ make sense?

Two words:

Bass players.

With the KPA being as good for bass as guitar, that 600 watts can become useful depending on the situation.

For just electric guitar, it’s absolute overkill. For bass....not as much.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche