Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• - The frequency responce is reasonably wide (I don‘t have exact numbers on my hand right now), equal or better to linear speakers out there, that are used by guitarists. It will handle bass easily. I will have some more to say about bass.

- 11 kg and a bit.

- Maybe I didn‘t get the question. Speaker imprints are not IRs in a regular fashion. They cannot be loaded or saved, only selected.

Sorry I see if I can clarify. When we use a DI, the imprint will automatically turn on for the cabinet but do we have a choice of what the imprint will be or is it always the same?

Another question if I may... if /when we change between Rigs, one that is a DI and one that is a Studio Rig. Is there any lag when the cabinet switches between the imprint cab and then back to a captured profile cabinet in the Studio Rig? Or is this seamless

• Let me try to restate the question. Can we have a Jensen speaker imprint associated with a Fender Twin rig and a Celestion speaker imprint associated with a Marshall Plexi rig, so that the Kemper will automatically switch imprints when switching rigs?

Thanks.

We have the plan to implement this.

• Hello Christoph,

are Thiele-Small parameters available for the speaker?

thx in advance

They are about the same as for the K12H-200 from Celestion, to be found on the internet.

Please tell me what your plans are with the parameters. It might interfere with how we do the linearisation.

• Sorry I see if I can clarify. When we use a DI, the imprint will automatically turn on for the cabinet but do we have a choice of what the imprint will be or is it always the same?

Another question if I may... if /when we change between Rigs, one that is a DI and one that is a Studio Rig. Is there any lag when the cabinet switches between the imprint cab and then back to a captured profile cabinet in the Studio Rig? Or is this seamless

The switch is seamless, and even more. The spillover of delays or reverbs will maintain the correct Kone mode, so you might hear an imprint and a linear sound overlapping, as you would expect.

• Would it be possible for you to say how many of the Kabinet's have been made so far, and will there be a plentiful stock in the Kemper US store?

Thanks for everything you've already done, and what's yet to come!

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Yes, I blew two Kones in the past.

But this was not playing an instrument, but playing back very deep sine waves accidently while making tests.

Since you will hardly blow a regular guitar speaker at usual volumes, you will not blow the cone at even higher volumes.

Bass guitar might be a difference. Here you should stack 2 or 4 Kones.

Thank you for the reply!

• Is the F12 X200 cmpl different to the KEMPER KONE, means it will do massive diff sounds

when used with the imprints, asking cause you said in the andertons interview that celestion released a 2 way speaker which was

about the same as the kone in some ways

The F12 is a completely different design. It is a 2 way speaker, while the Kone is a broad band, no tweeter, twin cone speaker.

A tweeter is utilized to control the high end frequency responce, as well as to guarantee a wide radiation or dispersion of the high frequencies. In the twin cone design the small cone - the whizzer cone does this job. The radiation is similar to a tweeter. However, the frequency response is not equal to a tweeter. This is fully compensated by the digital part.

It is not possible to play back our imprints with any other speaker, but the Kone.

• Would it be possible for you to say how many of the Kabinet's have been made so far, and will there be a plentiful stock in the Kemper US store?

Thanks for everything you've already done, and what's yet to come!

A couple containers will enter the seas these days heading to several continents.

I expect the quantities to be ok for now.

• So i have a tube power amp from my Line 6 Spider. The power amp is actually designed by Bogner. It has two 6L6 tubes.

This would probably colour the sound too much in way that it would't make sense to get the Kone?

• They are about the same as for the K12H-200 from Celestion, to be found on the internet.

Please tell me what your plans are with the parameters. It might interfere with how we do the linearisation.

As I understand your explanations, it's no Problem to Change from the EVM12L in my Thiele-1x12"-cabinet to the Kemper-Kone. It will be very interesting for me to compare the result to a Kemper-Kabinett.

• On the other hands, the imprints do not translate well to general purpose speakers or recordings. Thus they are not available on the main outs.

The amp in the room feel is there for your own pleasure

Thx Cristoph for the answer, but I still wonder if I can get a 2 way simultaneous parallel signal flow on the outputs :

output to Kone ( Cab Off, imprint ON )

output to Spdif ( Cab On , no imprint)

This way I could have the amp in the room feel and record in real time in my DAW from the spdif or send the same signal to a PA for live venues.

But how could we be sure that we have the same sound on both outs ? I'm still trying to figure it out , do you supply CABs that are made from the imprints , or it is just the CAB part of a profile like we are used to , on the spdif out ?

• Now I got the question :)

Yes, we have plans for a per-rig setting.

We are still asking ourself, if that setting should be stored in the Rig data or in the Cabinet Module (!).

Storing in the rig-data would be more flexible, though in the cab-module more Logical (when using the same "virtual" Speaker as in the imprint)

• As I understand your explanations, it's no Problem to Change from the EVM12L in my Thiele-1x12"-cabinet to the Kemper-Kone. It will be very interesting for me to compare the result to a Kemper-Kabinett.

I think that due to the port in the cabinet, the speaker response will be different than what the Imprint was designed for. As a result, the sound will differ from the ideal that Kemper designed to. This does not mean that it would sound bad, per se, but less like the chosen speaker.