Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Good Morning!

I just came here to say that i am extremely looking forward to the Kabinet and the features it will provide.

And a huge shout out to Christoph Kemper himself who gets in touch with the users and answers questions himself here.

This is not a Selbstverständlichkeit! ;)

• :thumbup:Reminds me to Leo Fender who is said to having had a close and personal contact to his customers:thumbup:

• This whole Kone caper is going to create a lot of interest when it arrives in the hands of users. Looking forward to it, power amps at the ready. CK's contributions here are much appreciated.

• There is more to it than just diffusion and a milder response. On-stage monitoring is also not just the only consideration. Missing the amp-in-the-room feel has always been a complaint of any IR-based system. IRs provide a mic'd cab sound. With the Kabinet, the microphone is completely removed from the signal path.

I was referring to the cab intrinsically, so to speak, since it's not the Kabinet itself that removes the mic.

FRFRs can’t do that in any real sense of the word.

I would not agree with this statement. Jay Mitchell has discussed this in-depth. A linear cabinet can return an AITR tone, provided that certain conditions are verified.

Monitor Out is stereo by option, as some mentioned here already.

Ah thanks :)

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• 8 pages! That was quick!

So the speakers are available in some markets now, but the software that lets it do the magic speaker impersonation is in a future release? I'm not sure what the extra benefit is over my existing FRFR powered cabs and Celestion- loaded guitar cab.

So the speakers are available in some markets now, but the software that lets it do the magic speaker impersonation is in a future release? I'm not sure what the extra benefit is over my existing FRFR powered cabs and Celestion- loaded guitar cab.

Going to try one in my XiTone MBritt powered cab and find out.:)

The benefit is that FRFR speakers are not truly flat-they all have bumps & dips in their frequency response that varies from model to model. This means that the same profile will sound different when run through different monitoring systems. Many people have commented/complained that profiles that they purchased do not sound the same as the demos they have seen. This is usually due to different monitoring systems used by the venders versus the person buying the profiles.

With the Kone/Kab, the frequency response of the speaker is known and compensated for in the software, so the results will be the same sound for every unit with the only remaining variable being the guitar used.

• Monitoring yes. But equally important: guitar and playing style. You need to play the same way to sound the same.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Are they? That's not what I read it as. Being shipped to distribution points so as to universally available when ready for sale. Shipping by sea container is slow but cheap and therefore getting them ready to go to satisfy demand makes sense to me.

• I would not agree with this statement. Jay Mitchell has discussed this in-depth. A linear cabinet can return an AITR tone, provided that certain conditions are verified.

“provided certain conditions are verified.”

Practically speaking, FRFRs don’t deliver AITR sound. Is it possible? Sure. Most anything is possible given the right conditions. But grabbing a DXR10 and plugging it in at the local gig won’t do that. A Kabinet will.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• “provided certain conditions are verified.”

Practically speaking, FRFRs don’t deliver AITR sound. Is it possible? Sure. Most anything is possible given the right conditions. But grabbing a DXR10 and plugging it in at the local gig won’t do that. A Kabinet will.

This.

The main benefit of the Kabinet/Kone will be its ability to provide AITR for different speakers, even on a per rig basis.

And in the end (when this gap of FRFR vs AITR will be finally closed) this will lead to a much wider acceptance of the Profiler compared to today.

• Likely yes.

A tube power amp will indeed color the sound a bit compared to a decent SS amp, but not enough to nullify the effectiveness of the Kab. I have run my profiler through its own internal amp, through a couple of different tube rack power amps (one with EL84s, one with 5881s), and into the loop returns of various tube amps. IMO, the speaker selected will always have a greater impact on the overall sound than the power amp used will.

• Hello Christoph,

Will it be possible to run two different Kone imprints at the same time, provided I have two speakers (and a stereo amp)? It would be nice to be able to run mismatched speaker combinations such as vintage 30 combined with Greenback etc.

• Practically speaking, FRFRs don’t deliver AITR sound. Is it possible? Sure.

I am not sure we are talking of the same thing. Don't know what kind of "conditions" you have in mind, or if you even know what these are.

If you play out of tune and I say "you could play in tune, if you did certain things", it's no use answering that, in practice, every guitarist plays out of tune.

Of course Kabinet can delivery the AITR tone (better talk of "guitar cab in the room"?), this is not in discussion. No reason to start the umpteenth dualistic fight.
    :)

• I am not sure we are talking of the same thing. Don't know what kind of "conditions" you have in mind, or if you even know what these are.

If you play out of tune and I say "you could play in tune, if you did certain things", it's no use answering that, in practice, every guitarist plays out of tune.

Of course Kabinet can delivery the AITR tone (better talk of "guitar cab in the room"?), this is not in discussion. No reason to start the umpteenth dualistic fight.
    :)

? You’re the one who mentioned Jay Mitchell‘s conditions. I don’t know what they are, and it doesn’t matter.

• The Profiler has always been capable of running a real physical guitar speaker by its Monitor Output and the „MonitorCabOff‘ function, while the virtual CAB is still active on the other outputs, as you might know.

Now this capabilities were simply expanded for using the Kone as your physical guitar speaker, and the choice of imprints on top. But the basic principle stays the same.

I think this basic sums up those that have concerns for FOH.

CK does not claim to have solved this problem ( for some ), nothing here has changed, but if you want an AITR sound as your monitor in a live situation or for your own pleasure jamming, practice, noodling ect they offer the Kabinet/Kone to you, nothing more, nothing less.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• ckemper, so what is a speaker imprint exactly, if it’s not a IR and no mic or preamp is involved in the process I can only presume component modelling or fancy eq, slap me silly if I’m wrong but I haven’t seen this addressed as of yet. Not that it matters much if it sounds good.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• ? You’re the one who mentioned Jay Mitchell‘s conditions. I don’t know what they are, and it doesn’t matter.

So, let me get this straight:

"FRFR can't reproduce AITR"
    "Yes, they can if you know what to do"
    " No, practically speaking they don't. Can they? Sure"
    "If you play out of tune and I say "you could play in tune, if you did certain things", it's no use answering that, in practice, every guitarist plays out of tune."
    "I don’t know what the [conditions] are, and it doesn’t matter."

I really wouldn't know how to comment this attitude of yours, so I'll stop here.

• Finally.