Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• What's the main benefit of this device Vs Line 6 Powercab ? I was very interested by the Powercab when it was announced but it got mixed reviews, not being as good as a regular guitar cab, neither as good as a good FRFR.
    I know that CK rarely miss his target, but i can't help fearing it will lead to the same result than it predecessor, plus the tight coupling to the profiler.

• What's the main benefit of this device Vs Line 6 Powercab ? I was very interested by the Powercab when it was announced but it got mixed reviews, not being as good as a regular guitar cab, neither as good as a good FRFR.
    I know that CK rarely miss his target, but i can't help fearing it will lead to the same result than it predecessor, plus the tight coupling to the profiler.

I actually just bought a Line 6 PC again last week. Got about 85 more days to return it and get something else if I want to

• I guess we'll know once we get to hear this thing in person.

It's not from Line6? *ducks*

.....Going back to the original Pod, I've *never* liked anything Line6. Bought plenty of it and couldn't get away from it fast enough.

(Yes, yes.... I know the Helix stuff is something different. You go buy it....)

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• It's not from Line6? *ducks*

.....Going back to the original Pod, I've *never* liked anything Line6. Bought plenty of it and couldn't get away from it fast enough.

(Yes, yes.... I know the Helix stuff is something different. You go buy it....)

I have liked the Line 6 stuff for a long time. Actually had the Helix prior to the Stage unit. Granted the Helix does not have the feel of the Kemper but it is still a great unit. I Went back to the Powercab for 2 simple reasons, cost and its is indeed better then the Headrush options. Besides all FRFR solutions add their own color to them anyway. I would have held out for the Kemper Kab but then I would need to buy a power amp too.

• Will the Kabinet\Kone react authentically when using an external Fuzz pedal in front of the input of the KPA? Will the relationship between a wah pedal, and fuzz, also react like the real thing through the Kabinet?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Will the Kabinet\Kone react authentically when using an external Fuzz pedal in front of the input of the KPA? Will the relationship between a wah pedal, and fuzz, also react like the real thing through the Kabinet?

Well, I don't think this is a question for the Kone/Kabinet per se.

The Profiler takes pedals very well, including fuzzes.

I expect the Kone/Kabinet to be much more musical though as any FRFR cab.

I expect the beauty of a guitar cab.

• Thanks for the reply Ingolf.

I have found that Fuzz has a unique interaction with the physical speaker, like feedback does; a good fuzz pedal wants to be directly connected to the guitar, and then affected by the return signal from the amp/speaker. The sustain is what seems to suffer without the speaker, in my limited experience.

I notice if I put my fuzz pedal in the KPA effects loop, pre or post, clean or distorted, it doesn't sound right. When I connect the fuzz to the input, it's much better, but is missing the interaction. I'm hoping the Kabinet will restore that interaction, and mimic the real thing in every way.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• You are correct about the unique response of some fuzz pedals but it isn't to do with the speaker. The magic of Fuzz face type fuzzes is down to the way the input impedence loads the guitars pickups. Thar is why putting it in the loop of the kemper doesn't have the same effect as connecting directly from the guitar to the fuzz. Using the Kemper FX loop acts like having a buffered pedal in between the guitar and fuzz. The sustain thing is more about volume than the specific type of speaker or it's performance. Therefore, as long as you put the fuzz before the kemper and play loud enough you should get the desired result regardless of how the Kone/Kabinet performs.

• Sorry to bump my post - still wondering

Can I install the Kemper Kones in these cabinets

EV M-12G (note, these are sealed wedge type stage monitors)

swapping in the Kemper Kones replacing the EVM 12L drivers installed in them now.

Can you foresee any issues?

Thanks,

ST

• Kemper said they will work in sealed or open back cabs....pretty much the same as any speaker. And, like other speakers, they will sound differently in an open back vs. closed cab.

I'm going to use mine in an open back, T21 Power Engine as a cabinet only powered by a DV Mark CMT head.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Now i have a question as well:

Is the Kemper DSP just focusing on the Kone (/linearization and imprint), or is there a special linearization going on for the kone inside the kabinet?

Do i gain some linearity/transparency for studio profiles by buying the Kabinet (and cool Kemper look obviously) or is the Kone the only thing affected?

Thanks a lot and cheers from Germany,

Thomas

• Kemper said they will work in sealed or open back cabs....pretty much the same as any speaker. And, like other speakers, they will sound differently in an open back vs. closed cab.

I'm going to use mine in an open back, T21 Power Engine as a cabinet only powered by a DV Mark CMT head.

Thanks for your reply.

Since the Kemper Kab will be closed back, wouldn't you expect better performance (given a choice for your own cab) to use a closed back cab?

• Thanks for your reply.

Since the Kemper Kab will be closed back, wouldn't you expect better performance (given a choice for your own cab) to use a closed back cab?

It's more of a personal preference thing. A closed cabinet will give more bass, but that may not be desired. Raising a closed cabinet off the ground will lose bass which might be comparable to an open cabinet on the ground.

Some players like the open sound of an open cab. Metal players would probably prefer a closed cabinet.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me