Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• I’ve been playing my kpa only with headphones for a few months in anticipation of these.

Any updates on shipping dates? I’m getting antsy and don’t want to settle on buying a cab but I’m dying to play the kpa out loud!

Availability of the KEMPER Kabinet and also The KEMPER Kone as a replacement speaker for any existing guitar cab is expected towards the end of Q1 2020.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Here's hoping the powered Kemper Kabinet won't be far behind. It seems like far more non powered Kemper Profilers have sold, but I could be way off, or why else would they concentrate on non powered Kabinets? So, like many others, I'm not going to invest in a separate amp, as I will just wait for the powered version of the Kabinet.

• Since the Kab will use a 12” speaker, are there any imprints of 10” speakers? It would be nice to have 10” alnico speakers for a variety of Fender amps for instance. Same for bass that uses 4x10” cab like an Ampeg.

Or for that matter can the imprints emulate a JBL 15”? Granted the feel of a 12” speaker would be a little tighter but if it could approximate a 15” on bass profiles, that would be awesome.

Edit: just watched the video from Namm and see there are a few 10" speaker imprints already. That's cool.

These profiles go to 11!

Edited once, last by Guavadude ().

• Thanks for the info ckemper.

I appreciate your point, but I still think that in certain circumstances such as a recording environment the ability to blend different speaker types within the same cabinets would be a cool feature. As I’m sure you know, many guitarists use mixtures of speakers in their cabinets, and the ability to change the sound (imprint) of some speakers whilst maintaining others would be really great – if a bit indulgent!

Still I appreciate that it would be technically difficult.

We have no plans to realise this.

The Kone is not tailored for being mic'ed anyway.

• Here's hoping the powered Kemper Kabinet won't be far behind. It seems like far more non powered Kemper Profilers have sold, but I could be way off, or why else would they concentrate on non powered Kabinets? So, like many others, I'm not going to invest in a separate amp, as I will just wait for the powered version of the Kabinet.

I too found weird they started with the passive version, specially since Stage is passive and it seems to be quite popular (and, as you wrote, there must be more passive versions around than active).
    Also, guitarists are keener IMO to buy an active cab than a passive cab and a separate power amp.

Maybe they just wanted to be out with something new and cheap ASAP...

This is the solution without a doubt..

https://digitalguitargear.com/camplifier-shp/

I'd agree. And Matrix for the Racks :)

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• Also, guitarists are keener IMO to buy an active cab than a passive cab and a separate power amp.

Personally I’d rather have the amp separate from the cabinet. Stuck in that cabinet, that perfectly good amp is now good for nothing else.

If I want to use a different cabinet, I *have* to have another power amp. Even though there’s one sitting in the Kabinet.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Personally I’d rather have the amp separate from the cabinet. Stuck in that cabinet, that perfectly good amp is now good for nothing else.

If I want to use a different cabinet, I *have* to have another power amp. Even though there’s one sitting in the Kabinet.

Yep, makes sense. I omitted to specify I was talking about versatile cabs, not guitar-specific ones (FRFR, GRFR, Kabs :) ).

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• Is there a list of the currently available speaker imprints?

As far as bass speaker imprints I did some searching and these are often recommended as classic speakers:

15" JBL D-140/130

18" Cerwin Vega

15" Altec Lansing 421A

15" Gauss Alnico

15" EV EVM15B

I'll have to do some more research but I imagine a single 15" imprint would work better than a 1x10" since most bass cabs that use 10" speakers use multiples. It could be nice to have a variety of 10" bass speaker options though for multi Kemper Kab use or Kones that are used as replacement speakers in a multi speaker cab.

ckemper you mentioned the Kabs aren't designed for close micing but a lot of times in the studio the bass cab is mic'd from a distance. Is there any reason in your opinion why this wouldn't work? I like the idea of trying the Kabs mic'd to get some natural room sound recorded.

These profiles go to 11!

• Is there a list of the currently available speaker imprints?

From https://www.kemper-amps.com/news

Currently the following Speaker Imprints will become available with the PROFILER:

• Celestion Vintage 30
    • Celest G12M Greenback
    • Celest G12M Creamback
    • Celestion G12 Blue
    • Celestion G12H Anniv
    • Celestion G12H Herit
    • Celestion G12-100
    • Celestion G12T
    • EVM12L Blacklabel
    • Eminence MFD
    • Goodmans Audiom 61
    • Oxford 12L6
    • Jen P12Q
    • Jen P12R
    • Jen C12N Ceramic
    • Jen Vintage P10R
    • Jen Vintage C10R
    • JBL D120F 12'
    • JBL 2110H 8'
  • Would it really work to mimic a 15" speaker? It seems to me that you wouldn't really capture the specifics, especially the bass part fo the spectrum, when sending it through the 12" speaker. You want the boom of a larger speaker, you need to get the larger speaker. I have no Idea though.

It reminds me of when HDTV became a thing and all the commercials tried to show SDTV/HDTV comparisons to show how much better a new TV would be. Problem was of course, you watched the comparison on the SDTV you already owned,

• I too found weird they started with the passive version, specially since Stage is passive and it seems to be quite popular (and, as you wrote, there must be more passive versions around than active).
    Also, guitarists are keener IMO to buy an active cab than a passive cab and a separate power amp.

Maybe they just wanted to be out with something new and cheap ASAP...

Not for us owners of powered racks/toasters, he says selfishly :)