Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Monitor cab off has never meant mute? It has always meant that the Cab section is bypassed for the monitor output, while it is still in the chain in all the other outputs.

yeah sorry, my bad, I guess I've always just changed the monitor output to off when not in use. That said, I do wish there was a mute switch for the monitor out for using as I stated and for unplugging and plugging in instruments. I've always kept my tuner in non mute mode so that I can hear it when tuning in the studio. Unless I'm missing something, is there an easy way to mute the monitor output without switching from browser to tuning mode and then using that mute? Live, I'll just set the tuner to mute.

These profiles go to 11!

• Is there a list of the currentl

ckemper you mentioned the Kabs aren't designed for close micing but a lot of times in the studio the bass cab is mic'd from a distance. Is there any reason in your opinion why this wouldn't work? I like the idea of trying the Kabs mic'd to get some natural room sound recorded.

It's for sure worth a try.

But we give this recommendation to avoid misconceptions in general.

You probably need an appropriate room and some skills to achive good results.

• I've found the Fryette Power Station far superior to any SS amp, including the IcePower inside the powered KPA and it's immensely versatile for both modellers and valve amps.

I love the warmth of a tube amp, and the Power Station gives me that without sacrificing transparency. Solid state amps have a sterility/clarity, for better or worse, that, while hardly noticeable is there if you look for it, and while the tone might be spot on there is still something definitely missing from the equation that Kemper hasn't been able to duplicate yet. At least not to my ears. Others may disagree.. and I can live with that. 8o I'm really looking forward to popping a Kone (or 2) into one of my cabs and seeing how the new precision speaker reacts to the Power Station. In the meantime, the Behringer Eurolive B112MP3 has been performing splendidly.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Hi folks,

Some thoughts on speaker imprints and broken-in speakers:

Lately HW from Tone Junkie bought a vintage tweed amp and argued, the desirable tone lies a lot in the very much broken in original speaker (as well as some well-played AC30 etc.).

Topjimi has his trusted Greenbacks from the 70ies and frequently hunted speakers for e.g. the Randy Rhodes-Sound

So: I assume, the Kemper-Team uses factory new speakers from their business-relationship with Celestion?

Would it be an option to get in touch with the profile-guys like HW and get some real vintage speakers over and imprint them?

Or maybe the Kemper-guys build a mobile "imprint lab" and send it with an engineer someone around the world to hunt down legendary speakers? You even could A/B your freshly done imprint directly in the room with the original speaker/amp...

Cheers,

Thomas

• Would it be an option to get in touch with the profile-guys like HW and get some real vintage speakers over and imprint them?

Or maybe the Kemper-guys build a mobile "imprint lab" and send it with an engineer someone around the world to hunt down legendary speakers? You even could A/B your freshly done imprint directly in the room with the original speaker/amp...

I believe CK already put a call out to anyone with vintage speakers that are willing to part with them for a bit. A vast library of vintage and rare speaker imprints would be a huge selling point for the KPA. But, it would probably be best to start out with speakers that are more common and well-known. Like the G12H-75, did I already mention that earlier in this thread? Just in case, let me say it again, G12H-75

• Wouldn't it be awesome ckemper if we could measue the differences between a broken in speaker and a new one and add an adjustable control to simulate that ?

• Wouldn't it be awesome ckemper if we could measue the differences between a broken in speaker and a new one and add an adjustable control to simulate that ?

Yeah love that ??, but down the rabbit whole we will go?.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• If you can, is there any info available on how the speaker imprints are actually made? Are these some sort of EQ matching or a more elaborate capture like a profile? Just curious how these imprints of different speakers are actually different and what's being captured.

These profiles go to 11!

• Similar, but I want to try putting a Kone in a XiTone MBritt powered cab.

is that a good idea?

i thought the XiTone had built in DSP that is optimised for the speaker in it already. If so that is unlikely to be a match for the characteristics of the Kone.

I may well be totally wrong on this so maybe someone who understands active speaker design could confirm.

• is that a good idea?

i thought the XiTone had built in DSP that is optimised for the speaker in it already. If so that is unlikely to be a match for the characteristics of the Kone.

I may well be totally wrong on this so maybe someone who understands active speaker design could confirm.

Not sure if it's a good idea or not yet.

That being said, I've researched the amp (Dayton PPA800DSP) used, and it is capable of handling 4ohm.

It also has the 5 variable DSP positions, and although one of the existing positions is flat (FRFR), there is software allowing the manipulation of any/all positions. MBritt had a hand in tailoring 4 of the 5 positions which is why his name went on it.

So... my personal research says it "should" work, but when the Kone is available I'll be contacting Mick Farlow (owner of XiTone) and run the idea by him first.;)

• If you can, is there any info available on how the speaker imprints are actually made? Are these some sort of EQ matching or a more elaborate capture like a profile? Just curious how these imprints of different speakers are actually different and what's being captured.

They are modelled, they said? Like fx, or modelled cabs in other modellers.
    Basically, you measure the response of a speaker with given inputs and design (via CAD) a circuit able to replicate that response. Then you refine by ear.
    The acid test would be to connect the original and the modelled responses in parallel and counterphase: you should hear no sound at all.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• Currently available...

I have the last Kemper version, but can't find Ani imprints. I got a Celestion f12-200x I like to use with the new imprints..

I also wonder if the I prins will be much different from the existing cabs in rhe Kemper..

The 7.2.x firmware with Kone functionality is now available as a Public Beta. Just a word of warning; if you want to try the Kone setting and imprints with a F12-X200, make sure your volume is extremely low. I've tried this combination, and it might be the ugliest tone I've ever gotten out of the Kemper. The F12-X200 is perhaps the worst speaker possible to use in place of a Kone.

The Kone is a special driver made by Celestion, and it does not have a tweeter, but instead has a custom whizzer cone. Whizzer cone speakers suffer from an erratic frequency response and depressed treble, and this is one of the things the Kone firmware corrects. If you use a more or less flat response speaker like the F12-X200 with the Kone firmware, it will introduce response nonlinearities and a huge treble boost that will make for a very unpleasant tone.