Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• MKB, the F12-X200 is very harsh, tried it. I own a couple of 12LTAs, what was your experience?

I found the F12-X200 is good in most cases with a Kemper and Kone turned off. But in some cases it can sound harsh. I eventually liked it a lot but have lost a bit of enthusiasm lately.

I previously used 12LTA's with Line 6 gear, installed in a Peavey transtube Bandit with the HD500 into the Bandit's power amp in. This was not an ideal tone, but it worked well and held up under loud stage volumes without getting harsh (like most tweeter equipped FRFR's did, including the F12-X200 in some cases).

Since the 12LTA was similar to the Kone, but not exact, I did some experimenting using it in place of the Kone (no Kone yet). I'll say the 12LTA with Kone enabled was much better with the Kemper than 12LTA without Kone on, but the 12LTA had a heavy mid coloration it layered over all the imprints. I would suggest you try the 12LTA with Kone enabled, you might like it.

Over this weekend I should have my Kone and can make some direct comparisons between the Kone, the 12LTA, and a few drivers represented by the imprints (Vintage 30, G12M Greenback). Probably won't be able to record them though until I get a bit more time in with the Kone.

• i ordered on monday, got a notification from DHL that they picked it up today

I ordered monday from EU as well. Got a message from UPS Wednesday telling me that they had received the shipment information. It still hasn't shipped though. I'm getting restless, I would really have liked that Kabinet for the weekend. I guess it's for next week now instead.

• Got mine! 2 days from order to delivered! My initial reaction is that using this as an FRFR (Need to update my OS next for the imprint stuff) sounds every bit as good as using my Mesa 2x12 and that's a HUGE step for me as I'd given up on FRFRs after trying a GOOD chunk of them. Need to wait until band practice to get a REAL feel for it but yea... initial reaction is quite impressive!

• dmatthews it sounds very like a traditional cab. The speaker imprints all make a difference but make are quite subtle. It is super light and portable compared to something like my Mesa EVM12L cab but still sounds great.

The dispersion thing is really neat. I’m still not totally sure how you would do a like for like comparison with a traditional cab and I haven’t had a chance to use it in a band setting yet (home use only which is likely to continue for some time due to Corona Virus) but I think it will provide a many of the advantages of FRFR without the downside that some people complain about.

It will be even better when they add the rig specific imprint facility to have a V30 on your Marshal or Mesa rigs but a Celestiob Blue on your AC30 and a Jenson or Oxfor on the Fenders etc. For now though an EVM12L for electric while switching to FRFR for piezo is a massive improvement over sending my acoustic sounds through the EV

• If you want to use it with the Kone softyI think it is a foregone conclusion that the Kone speaker will win.

Someone in the Facebook group asked about using the Kone with a traditional amp. I said that Kemper state in the manual that using the Kine with a different amp (or using a different speaker with the Kone software) will sound “bad”. Honey, being the curious sort of guy I am, I decided t o test it. I hooked the Kobe up to my Mesa Studio 22. The speak the truth ? It sounded like shit. Whereas, the Kabinet with the Kone software sounds epic. The manual says it will be same with the KPA and a different speaker. I would be surprised if they are wrong with that one.

• dmatthews it sounds very like a traditional cab. The speaker imprints all make a difference but make are quite subtle. It is super light and portable compared to something like my Mesa EVM12L cab but still sounds great.

The dispersion thing is really neat. I’m still not totally sure how you would do a like for like comparison with a traditional cab and I haven’t had a chance to use it in a band setting yet (home use only which is likely to continue for some time due to Corona Virus) but I think it will provide a many of the advantages of FRFR without the downside that some people complain about.

It will be even better when they add the rig specific imprint facility to have a V30 on your Marshal or Mesa rigs but a Celestiob Blue on your AC30 and a Jenson or Oxfor on the Fenders etc. For now though an EVM12L for electric while switching to FRFR for piezo is a massive improvement over sending my acoustic sounds through the EV

Thanks Alan.

Now that the Kabs and Kones are in the Canuck store, I think I might get one of each!

• I don't agree. Providing free update and active maintenance on a 7 o 8 years old product increase the product value and convince new customers to buy it. It's one of the reason that allowed them to increase the price, imho.

Yes, but my point was that those customers would most likely still buy it if those new features were introduced in a Kemper 2 at the same price point.