Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Anybody tried it at rehearsal sound levels? Metal specifically (usually quite loud)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I tried it at the equivalent of my stage volume, and compared it directly to my DXR10 and to my 50 watt Marshall Jubilee with 2x12 slant cab.

In Kone mode with the Imprints, it feels like the sealed back Marshall guitar cab to me, and it sounds just as good, if not better, depending on the Imprint. Musical feedback is much easier to get than with the DXR. To quote Ingolf , “I think I’m done with FRFR” :)

• I tried it at the equivalent of my stage volume, and compared it directly to my DXR10 and to my 50 watt Marshall Jubilee with 2x12 slant cab.

In Kone mode with the Imprints, it feels like the sealed back Marshall guitar cab to me, and it sounds just as good, if not better, depending on the Imprint. Musical feedback is much easier to get than with the DXR. To quote Ingolf , “I think I’m done with FRFR” :)

Lovely... I miss the feedback thing.8)

• I have an issue with my 2 Kones in stereo that maybe one of the pioneers or Kemper can help me with. The speaker sounds great with guitar through it. The guitar can be very loud, louder than I'll need at my smaller gigs where I want to use them at. I want to do this:

• The ultimate KEMPER Kone setup: Play guitar along to the stereo input using the speaker imprints, while the music

plays full-range, through the same cabinets.

I'm feeding the music in stereo to the Return In/Alternative In and the the guitar sounds fine, but the music coming in causes the speakers to "pop" and then the speakers shut down and then come back on a split second later. The guitar can be really really loud through them, so I'm not sure why the music is doing this. I can play guitar through them fine with no issues, but when adding especially bass heavy tracks the issue occurs and it occurs all the time (unusable for me). I've been playing around with the "to monitor out volume" and the "Kemper Kone volume" settings. This is using the Camplifier S2 at 25 watts per side (this is able to work with 4 - 16 ohm speakers). Any ideas? Maybe and probably it's the Camplifier shutting down? If so, are there any recommendations or should I try a different amp. I have an older Crown amp I could try (way too heavy for gigs). Thanks in advance.

By the way, while it's working, it's absolutely beautiful and will work great for gigs.

• The Kab with bass boost on punches WAY above it's weight class. I'm an open back cab fan and the Kab sounds very balanced overall. I find the bass boost isn't just for if it's on a stand. I don't think it will work as a bass cab though which makes sense since it's not designed to.

It absolutely KILLS for a do all rig if you play a variety of instruments. The FR mode is very natural sounding and the kone mode is great for electric tones.

The footprint is a little smaller than a deluxe reverb and a good notch lighter. I could totally see a 15" version of this be very popular for bassists.

I do think the difference between imprints is pretty subtle. I also want to do some distance recording of it to compare to the actual speakers it's emulating.

All in all if you're looking for a portable do-all rig, this is it.

These profiles go to 11!

• Kabinet finally delivered tonight. How do you switch between imprint mode and frfr? And how do you change the imprint in rig manager?

The Kone settings are in the Rig Manager editor in Output page but you have to scroll down to see them. Cab Off has to be enabled and then you'll get a pull down of all the imprints.

These profiles go to 11!

• That would be my guess. 25 Watts really loud, with bass heavy material could easily do that.

Thanks, I’ve been reading more and have come to that same conclusion, I need to decide on a new power amp. The 25 W per side works fine for those that just want guitar through it. I read this in an article titled Headroom Matters: “Most listeners have no clue how much power their speakers are actually consuming. And this is true even for those that on occasion have had their amplifier shut down. Relying on the speaker manufacturer’s estimate of power handling is pretty much useless information. The fact that a speaker can handle 300 watts doesn’t mean it’s ever going to see that much power.“. If anyone can educate me further, please do.