Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• I'm really enjoying my new Kab, and I've lots to explore yet with this new setup. For comparing the Kab versus my old 1x12, can I simply move the speaker cable from one cabinet to the other without damaging the toaster )powered)? (i.e. there is no standby switch used previously with amp heads) Or do I need to power off the toaster before moving the speaker cable? Thx.

P.S. Yes, I know I also need to turn off/on the Kone software when switching cabinets.

For safety’s sake, turn the Poweramp off in the Output Menu when switching speaker cabinets.

• wow, quite the review! :thumbup:

• I discovered I did not like the Directivity control at anything other than 10 (full up). Anything less sounds diffused and strange.

Really? The room where my Kabinet sits and my relative position to it doesn’t allow for much more than 12:00 o'clock.

• Really? The room where my Kabinet sits and my relative position to it doesn’t allow for much more than 12:00 o'clock.

I sit about 4-5 feet in front of it, off angle. The more I reduce the level of the Directivity, it sounds more like the faux, stereo widening effect on some boom boxes with that circuit. When I leave it at maximum, it sounds more amp like to me.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

Edited once, last by HCarlH ().

• Really? The room where my Kabinet sits and my relative position to it doesn’t allow for much more than 12:00 o'clock.

From my limited time with the Kab, I feel the need to to lower the Directivity setpoint the louder I set the Kab. At small room playing volumes I leave it at 12:00 o clock.

• From my limited time with the Kab, I feel the need to to lower the Directivity setpoint the louder I set the Kab. At small room playing volumes I leave it at 12:00 o clock.

I have a Kone in an open back 1x12 cab and this is my experience with Directivity as well.

• Ingolf have you (or anyone else in Kemper land) had the chance to try a bass guitar (if you have one) with the Kab? I know there are a few of us waiting to hear any feedback about how it sounds (although I am expecting it to be awesome).

• thanks a lot. It doesn’t feel like it would be that light......

What made you decide to go with MDF?

Here's a good video about cabinet material.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• Question. If I wished to use a wet/ dry /wet setup, using the Kabinet for the dry, and two powered monitors for the wet effects, how would I then be able to send a combined signal(dry + effects) to the FOH system?

• I tried it with bass and I don’t recommend it for that. It could be used in a small setting but the cab vibrates too much for it to be used at higher volume. I think a 1-15” version would be a big hit but the cab design would need to be able to handle the extended frequencies and volume.

I need to try it more off the floor. I’m really impressed with how great the bass boost sounds on the floor. I think this would be my preferred way to use it but I wish I could control the level of boost. Even if it was in five 20% increments or similar settings.

These profiles go to 11!

• Have you compared the Kone against the F12 ?

I own both, the F12 is a speaker you can drop into any cab and get what my ASM12s are giving me with a transparent amplificatiom. The Kone works outstanding with the SW you and your fine folks have developed. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Kone gives me more , if not exactly, an amp in the room feel. Very impressed. That being said, the F12 will afford me to get rid of the ASM's(large footprint in stereo)

• Question. If I wished to use a wet/ dry /wet setup, using the Kabinet for the dry, and two powered monitors for the wet effects, how would I then be able to send a combined signal(dry + effects) to the FOH system?

One way that i can think of is to add an DA converter and use SPDIF to output the DLY/REV Wet portion and use Monitor Out for the Stack portion for your onstage monitoring . Link for Monitor and SPDIF out are checked so you can control the stage volume from the Master Volume.

Main Output would deliver the Master Stereo signal. Main Out link is unchecked to deliver a constant level to FOH.

A different approach would need to send a w/d/w signal to FOH:

Main Output set to carry the DLY/REV Wet portion and Direct Out for the Stack portion going to FOH. Both Outputs unlinked.

The Headphone Output (linked) for the DLY/REV Wet portion and Monitor Out (linked) for the Stack portion to your onstage monitoring.

• Guess I should throw all my pine and void-free birch cabs in the trash then, eh?

You should. Use those for fire wood and buy a Kemper Kab. :D:D

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me