Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• i asked Ingolf this yesterday on TGP and the seymour duncan 170 poweramp is pretty much the same as the powered kemper

The Duncan 170 is reported to house a ICEPower 50ASX2BTL power amp module with a Duncan designed preamp with adjustable EQ. If you look at the specs for the 50ASX2BTL, it is nearly the perfect external power amp for a single Kone or Kab (170W @ 4 ohms). I do not have a 170, but have used and gigged with a 50ASX2BTL for about a year now, and am thrilled with it. For one thing, after auditioning maybe 10 or so different power amps with my unpowered Kemper, from tube power amps to multiple Class D, the clear winner in tone and feel was the ICEPower 50ASX2BTL.

The only problem I had with it was most speakers I had to use with it were 8 and 16 ohms, and basically with a solid state amp you halve the power as you double the impedance from the lowest rated impedance the amp is designed for. So the Kone was appealing for no other reason than its 4 ohm impedance, which is ideal for the ICEPower amp.

If I had to start over with Kemper, I would certainly buy a powered toaster as I have always missed having the internal amp. I built the 50ASX2BTL into my unpowered Toaster and it works great, but that was a difficult DIY project that I would not want to repeat. So if I need another external amp for a Kone, it would most certainly be a Seymour Duncan 170.

• I think you are missing the point :)

CK wrote "GRFR is on top of that. "Guitar Frequency Full Responce" does not make too much sense".

I answered that the currently accepted acronym would be "Guitar Range, Flat Response", which is of course quite a different concept, and it does make sense, because it typically refers to a broad band mid-woofer able to return the most of a guitar range band (let's say 60-12k ?) rather than filtering at 6-8k, and gifted with a flatter response (that is, within a lesser dB range) than an average guitar speaker, in order to more faithfully return the nuances of a full profile or patch.

Summing up, my response was that the (correct) acronym makes sense, at least from a commercial point of view. Not sure what you are trying to say.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• For anyone using Mbritt profiles, have you noticed them to be more usable now at lower volumes with the Kabinet? Before the Kabinet, I strictly used his profiles for live situations since at lower practice volume they sounded too dark for my taste. With the Kabinet, they sound extremely good to my ear at lower db's as well!

• Hopefully I am right here: just set up my Kone. Moved to the Output settings in the Kemper, told him to set Monitor out as Master Mono, but I dont here anything through the Kone. If I set it to "Guitar and Processing" it will sound as expected.

What am I missing here?

EDIT: Reboot of the Kemper solved the issue... Made an update before and did not reboot.

• If a resonant cab is designed to accentuate the right frequencies then you can get a great result if done right (eg: Buzz Feiten did one), but with different amps you get what you get.

Using MDF for the Kone is the best option by a mile. The results speak for themselves.

Let's not kid ourselves, MDF is strictly used for its cost. The best cab builders don't use birch or pine to "accentuate the right frequencies"

• Let's not kid ourselves, MDF is strictly used for its cost. The best cab builders don't use birch or pine to "accentuate the right frequencies"

That is possible.
    It's also possible some people won't buy a cabinet unless it's made of traditional woods and some cab builders realize that. $$$.

So far, it seems everybody is pleased with the sound of their MDF Kabinet.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Hello Guys,

could you pls put here the link, video of the Kabinet with high gained sound/profile?

So far, I see only review with the clean sound.

Thank you.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Does it make a difference in sound (it expect it does) with open back/closed back cab. So if for example I want a traditional Fender sound, then an open back would be best. For traditional Marshall, closed cab? I know with open back you get some sound from the back as well but does it get closer to a Fender sound (as example)?

On another note, I am going to buy a cheap Marshall MX112 cab to put a Kone into. Might seek out a cheap open back too.

• I disagree that MDF was chosen primarily due to cost. MDF is better for this application than the solid wood or plywood.

Most of the best car stereo enclosures are made from particle board (MDF), it's lightweight, and super strong from the glue and heat/pressure that forms it. No knots or weak spots, like regular wood, make the MDF tone more consistent as well. The Kabinet is a quality product.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

best V30 cab sound I've ever heard! Kudos, truly awesome!

• Thanks! Another way I was thinking of was to send the wet stereo effects to my JBLs, and Monitor out(dry stack) to say a TC Bam200, which I believe has a direct out, the JBLs also have a direct line out, so I could then send all 3 signal to FOH.

Great sound....thanks!!!