Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Put two Kones into a Vox AD120VTX. It's a Stereo combo. Ripped the amp out, to make it cabinet only. Using the amp as a separate power amp only (thru the stereo returns) and using the Kones in Stereo monitor mode (Direct and Monitor Out) . It sounds absolutely freaking amazing. Only thing I miss is the wonderful Stereo Boss CE-1 from the AD120 (Kemper's isn't as good!).

ckemper - how's about creating a Kemper decal so I can replace the Vox one. I could use the sticker but that would look tacky.

Very good idea, I have two questions:

-

1. Is the boc open on bachside or cllsed? Shluld be there any problem in the quality of sound if the cabinet is open?

2. How is the impedance of output combo? 8ohm? What does it means? That the power is lower?

Than you.

• Hi -my 1st time on the Forum

-just got my Kemper a couple of hours ago!

i’ve ordered the Kone but afterwards I noticed that Kemper are saying it’s not suitable for close micing!

Why would it not be suitable for close micing?
    This is most peoples preferred mic technique for guitar, after all…

• OK, I caved and my Kabinet has been ordered/shipped. I've got a bit of anxiety w/ everything going on (WFH/stay at home), but I have to say Kemper US customer service is top notch ... above and beyond/SUPER responsive! Thank you!

• IME the DA profiles don't act as the studio profiles with Kone. For metal I've had better luck with the non Kone sim full range studio option.

• Its a closed back. The AD120VTX is closed, the AD120VT is open.

Yeah amp is 8 ohm but I think we're ok running into 4 ohm as long as we don't go too loud. SS is pretty tolerant. 8 into 4 means it could be louder - but I don't witness any extra volume, esp. at home volumes. It has an attenuator 1x2, 15x2, 30x2 and 60x2. I run half volume 1x2 @ home and @practice quarter volume on 2x15. There is a lot of headroom.

I can also run mono 8ohm (as per Kemper diagram in series) as I have this connector - https://www.amplifiedparts.com…plug-and-play-mono-stereo - ignore the impedances (you need to halve them as they're based on 8ohm speakers). I have two AD120VTXs (they cost me $299 used!!!) and I could setup the second with 2xKones and then have 8 Ohm mono into each, and then used both to give stereo -- but that is OTT and too heavy :)

• i’ve ordered the Kone but afterwards I noticed that Kemper are saying it’s not suitable for close micing!

Why would it not be suitable for close micing?
    This is most peoples preferred mic technique for guitar, after all…

regular guitar speakers only have a single cone which you can mic without any problems.

however the Kone has a regular speaker PLUS a second smaller speaker (whizzer cone) when you close mic these you will have a potential imbalance between the low and high frequencies and probably some strange artefacts in tue range where the whizzer kicks in. Also, I would expect there could be phase issues between the two cones as you move the mic around at such close proximity.

fortunately, this doesn’t matter as the Kone is intended for personal monitoring only. The sound going to FOH or recording generally comes straight from the Main Output without the need to be miced.

• So here is what the Kemper sounds like through an EVM12L.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I really love this speaker and have been recommending it on this forum for long time. Sounds pretty good with cleans too.

I'm hoping someone can give me a comparison to the EVM12L imprint.

Just playing it cool on the Kabinet for the time being because I am very worried about more financial shocks and threats to my livelihood at the moment. Can't eat MDF :D

I will get one though, had already stashed away the funds. :saint:

• IME the DA profiles don't act as the studio profiles with Kone. For metal I've had better luck with the non Kone sim full range studio option.

Meaning the "KEMPER KONE" light/buttton is ON but keep the imprints off?

Or just straight in with kemper kone off and no imprints...?

• Hey I’m pretty late to comment, but I have a question I couldn’t see anything about a powered Kemper kab. Do we have an ETA or even any evidence this is in the works? I was all excited to get one and slowly realized I have a passive Kemper, lol

• Hey I’m pretty late to comment, but I have a question I couldn’t see anything about a powered Kemper kab. Do we have an ETA or even any evidence this is in the works? I was all excited to get one and slowly realized I have a passive Kemper, lol

No eta but it’s in the works

• As a high gain player, you might prefer the mic'ed sound (fullrange) over the amp-in-the-room sound (Imprint).

You are not alone. We have also observed that high gain players do not prefer to use the PureCabinet feature, by the same reason.

Go for the fullrange sound!

CK

• Put two Kones into a Vox AD120VTX. It's a Stereo combo. Ripped the amp out, to make it cabinet only. Using the amp as a separate power amp only (thru the stereo returns) and using the Kones in Stereo monitor mode (Direct and Monitor Out) . It sounds absolutely freaking amazing. Only thing I miss is the wonderful Stereo Boss CE-1 from the AD120 (Kemper's isn't as good!).

For the chorus, try the Air Chorus instead our vintage chorus.

Tell us the results on your Vox amp.

CK

• There's a reason why so many metal players like the Mesa 2x12 or similarly constructed cabs. It's smaller length/width & longer depth adds tightness, balances out V30s and a reinforced baffle that will not flex under any circumstance. Throw a couple of Kones in there and I'll bet you won't be able to tell the difference from real V30s. But, alas, that cab may be a one-trick pony so it probably wouldn't benefit from all the other great speaker imprints available. If you're mostly a high-gain player, the ultimate setup would be a stock Mesa 2x12 (or similar) for metal and a Kabinet for all your other music genre needs. And, if you think having more than one cab ridiculous, count how many guitars you own first.

• There's a reason why so many metal players like the Mesa 2x12 or similarly constructed cabs. It's smaller length/width & longer depth adds tightness, balances out V30s and a reinforced baffle that will not flex under any circumstance. Throw a couple of Kones in there and I'll bet you won't be able to tell the difference from real V30s. But, alas, that cab may be a one-trick pony so it probably wouldn't benefit from all the other great speaker imprints available. If you're mostly a high-gain player, the ultimate setup would be a stock Mesa 2x12 (or similar) for metal and a Kabinet for all your other music genre needs. And, if you think having more than one cab ridiculous, count how many guitars you own first.

Yeah I hear ya, I've yet to play my KPA through a real cab but since I'm not recording or gigging, just a play at home player maybe that's the way to go. I've been eyeballing the Mesa vertical 2x12 cab, but wondering if the 1x12 mini recto slant will be enough oomph.

Thank you Mr. Kemper! Don't get me wrong, the Kabinet is great piece of musical equipment. I just find that generally higher gain amps are usually profiled with V30 or sometimes G12H (EVH) / G12T (Marshall) so really having all the imprints is probably not necessary for me though it's nice to have if I want to dabble in something other than rock 'n roll. I did try running the v30 imprint and then adjusting the treble/presence on the master output to try to give it some some more life since it sounds a little flat to me.