Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• One way to think about the Kone is this: at it's absolute best, the Kone with an imprint will sound like the original imprinted speaker in that particular cab. We know that cab wood and construction can contribute a lot to the tone of a cab, so one shouldn't expect to put a Kone in say a small open back cab, use the V30 imprint, and have the tone sound like a V30 in a 4X12. But you can get closer to the 4X12 tone in that cab by using a 4X12 cab IR and set the Kone to full range.

MDF is often used for lower cost, but is also used by the top rated speaker manufacturers due to it being relatively inert, and tends to not add as much coloration to a cab as would pine or plywood of the same thickness. MDF does have the down side of usually being heavier than pine or plywood of the same thickness.

Marshall has used MDF backs on their 4X12 cabs since the 70s, with plywood sides and baffle boards.

• Hello all in Kemper land...:)

I have a powered Kemper and a 2x12 slant cabinet, of which the top can be open or closed. I am considering getting a couple of Kones to install in this cab. It has been said that 2 Kones should be wired in series. I am also thinking of having an input for just one of the Kones of which they are 4 ohms each. My question is, the speaker out on the Kemper says 8 or 16 ohm, would it be safe to have just a 4 ohm load here? The specs for the Kabinet say it is also rated 4 ohm....so it must be safe to do so....right?? ?(:/

Thank you:)

• Stupid question/thought. I have a Powerhead...typically run it thru a 1 x12 or recto 4x12 (All V30's)..Primarilly going for high gain tones, BUT...I love the versatile possibilites with the Kab or Kone...Has anyone done high-gain with the Kone/Kab? I've heard all the other clean/bluesy/semi break-up, and some rock sounds, (AWESOME), but just want to hear or hear from someone who is getting Periphery-esque tones (i.e. 5150 III/Stealth sounds..) High & tight! If the Kab or Kone can do it (I'm sure they can..) I may have to at least get a Kone for now.....

• In case you haven't seen this...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

steinweiner - there are some in this clip that are a bit heavy...

• steinweiner - there are some in this clip that are a bit heavy...

Yes, thank you...This is the only vid out there.. other than Tone Junkies.. The 2 high gain sounds in this clip are pretty good..the other tones are ASTOUNDING... I.just wanted another opinion from someone who specializes in the high gain stuff. Someone else mentioned that they sound even better in person...Kinda seems like a no brainer just to try the Kone in my 1 x12 and see how it does..

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes, thank you...This is the only vid out there.. other than Tone Junkies.. The 2 high gain sounds in this clip are pretty good..the other tones are ASTOUNDING... I.just wanted another opinion from someone who specializes in the high gain stuff. Someone else mentioned that they sound even better in person...Kinda seems like a no brainer just to try the Kone in my 1 x12 and see how it does..

this seems decent to me. There is another similar short v30 clip in these threads that sounds good aswell

External Content youtu.be

• For now global setting, down the road they say they'll make it per profile. From what the high gain players are saying, IRs sound better than the imprints. Hopefully you will be able to map the choice of cab vs. imprint on a per profile basis as well.

• Not sure if it was presented here, but very good tones with Kemper Kone speaker..

External Content www.youtube.com

• I have a Kemper Kabinet and a powered head. I am interested in using a wedge that I have a Kone in and a power amp to be able to monitor stereo live.

Can I use the other output? Does it have the eq for the Kone in it as well?

• Stupid question/thought. I have a Powerhead...typically run it thru a 1 x12 or recto 4x12 (All V30's)..Primarilly going for high gain tones, BUT...I love the versatile possibilites with the Kab or Kone...Has anyone done high-gain with the Kone/Kab? I've heard all the other clean/bluesy/semi break-up, and some rock sounds, (AWESOME), but just want to hear or hear from someone who is getting Periphery-esque tones (i.e. 5150 III/Stealth sounds..) High & tight! If the Kab or Kone can do it (I'm sure they can..) I may have to at least get a Kone for now.....

I posted earlier in this thread. That’s primarily me and I wasn’t impressed with the kab. Putting a v30 imprint on just sounds small, muffled, and no oomph needed for metal.

Point being I don’t think it’s the kone per se as much as a 1x12 being weak for heavy tones.

For clean or low gain chimey stuff it’s fine.

• Its designed that way for max flexibility.

Kone Disabled + Monitor Cab Off Disabled = normal FRFR mode so works with DXR10, Headrush etc

Kone Disabled + Monitor Cab Off Enabled = traditional guitar cab

Kone Enabled + Monitor Cab Off Disabled = FRFR optimised for the specific character of the Kone speaker

Kone Enabled + Monitor Cab Off Enabled = Imprint mode.

Therefore, all bases are covered.

• I was ready to return the Kabinet because I mostly play higher gain profiles and they were buzzy and terrible but after watching the BHP video I realized you ARE NOT supposed to turn of the cabinet as well as the monitor cab off... why? Shouldn’t they serve the same function?

Why did you turn off the CAB in the amp section as well?

• I posted earlier in this thread. That’s primarily me and I wasn’t impressed with the kab. Putting a v30 imprint on just sounds small, muffled, and no oomph needed for metal.

Point being I don’t think it’s the kone per se as much as a 1x12 being weak for heavy tones.

For clean or low gain chimey stuff it’s fine.

Yup, that makes sense to me from your point of view as a metal player.

What you call "small" is the proximity effect of the microphones that does not exist with the cab-in-the-room sound.

And "muffled" is the missing "phasyness" that is not happening with cab-in-the-room.

Both effects are evil aspects for low and mid-gain guitarists, but crucial for the signature sound of metal guitarists.

Other 1x12 fullrange solutions are not considered to be weak for metal players, and the Kabinet is in the same ballpark. Tested already in Fullrange mode.

The interesting questions are:

Have you tried the Fullrange mode as well? Might be more suitable for you. (That's why we feature it as well)

Do you own a classic 4x12 cabinet (no Kemper Kones) for a comparison?

CK