Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• HCarlH, I have owned two ‘78 Polytone amps (MiniBrut and a 104). Loved the MiniBrute cranked above 7 for crunch.

You mentioned a MiniBrute pedal preamp. Is this a DIY or a commercial product? I’d love to get one for my studio if it was available.

• and with the Bass Boost option it sounds way bigger than it should based on its lightweight size.

Please be aware that the Bass Boost is not made for making the Kone sound bigger. The manual will tell you the story.

To adapt the sound to your expectations, the Monitor Equalizer is still active even for the Kone, to give you continuously variable controls and more suitable frequency selections.

Especially the Bass control of the Monitor EQ kicks in at a lower frequency than the Bass Boost.

Try it out!

• This "easyness" is going to hunt your support team down for a few years, me think.

Not so much. We sold a quite number of Kones and Kabinets already and only had a handful of requests.

My question on the other hand is, since you are obviously not planning to use the Main Output for a mixing desk, but only the Kone/Kabinet.

Are you doing gigs at all, or usually play at home / rehearsal room only?

Or do you plan to mic your Kabinet?

CK

• The reason the holes are obstructed is because this is what happens with every speaker when a new cone is installed. In order to provide a large glue area around the cone on the cone landing on the rim, the edge of the cone will go over the holes in the rim of the basket. In order to keep this from happening, the cone edge would need to have notches to clear the holes, and there simply is no real reason to do that. I've reconed maybe 10 or so Celestions, and every one has had the holes obstructed by the edge of the cone before being mounted. You either have to cut that paper out of the holes with a knife, or just poke the screws through the paper. Either way works as well. And clearing the paper out of the mounting holes does not in any way damage the speaker or change it's tone, as the mounting hole is surrounded by glue and the cone is protected.

However this makes it impossible to mount the speaker and then return it in fully original condition, as the holes will be cleared. It's kind of like breaking the seal on a food or drug package, you know when it has been opened. This may have been Celestion's intent after all.

• I'm not worried about damaging the Kone as I only use a small 25 Watt Camplifier for power, but I have to say I do like the effect of the Bass Boost on some profiles. I haven't messed around too much with the Monitor EQ so far, but thanks to your recommendation I will certainly give it a try to check what's possible here. So far, Bass Boost is just useful and a convenient way to get in some cases a bit more depth (i.e. a 2x12 feeling) with the touch of a button, whether the Kab is on the floor or on a stand.

I actually #RTFM first thing, but I generally think some info could be added to the use of direct profiles and how to make sure to get the best experience. That might reduce some confusion like I experienced myself when I got the Kabinet (for example Cab parameters are still active in Imprint Mode, etc). In the facebook user groups and some youtube videos about the Kab / Kone I've seen a tremendous amount of questions where people seem to have trouble to understand the features of the Kone, so I think a more detailed description might save the support team some work.

My question on the other hand is, since you are obviously not planning to use the Main Output for a mixing desk, but only the Kone/Kabinet.

Even though this question was not directed at me, please allow me to chime in anyways.

The Kemper Profiler for me means maximum flexibility without any compromises on tone. That means I'll use SPDIF to record and Main Outs to connect to FOH for playing live. I can use the headphones late at night and the Kabinet to just rock out at home or at rehearsal. Sometimes a recorded signal is preferred and sometimes an amp in the room feeling - maybe even both at the same time during a gig using the Kab as a Stage Monitor.

The Kabinet with the Kone continues this tradition of all around flexibility in proving the perfect solution for both a linear and a more traditional cabinet experience in a single lightweight device. Therefore I generally prefer to have full control and set up different Output presets for different situations. I would never say I'd only use the Kemper for one specific thing only.

Well, the only thing I can say for certain, though, is that I won't try to mic up the Kabinet itself ;)

In addition to my original post I'd like to add, that I've tried out putting an empty cab to a direct amp profile and it still didn't work with Imprint Mode. However, when putting other random Cabs onto the Direct Profile it obviously works, but I found there are still subtle changes to the sound even though there shouldn't be any as the Cab should be bypassed (yes, all Cab-parameters on Default). Oh well, I won't get hung up on the direct profiles. If it sounds good, it is good - and so far I've had great results with Studio profiles by most vendors. I'm only asking because I'm curious about the technology behind the great sound I'm getting.

Also, can we just take a moment to appreciate the boss himself participating & answering questions on the forum late at night? <3

• Not so much. We sold a quite number of Kones and Kabinets already and only had a handful of requests.

Because there are poor souls like myself ;) answering this question every other day on Facebook (not kidding). I'm gonna stop, btw.

I'm a bedroom guitarist.

• I’m mainly a guitar player but have bought a bass(it’s on the way) for recording purposes. I understand that the Kone is compatible with bass but the cabinet is guitar based. I would like to know if anyone has played the bass through it? I’d like to practice just at home and it would be so convienient if it would suffice as a low level practice solution. Thanks

can Kone be used safely with a Bass Guitar &/or a BassVI?

yes it can safely be used but the small cabinet isn’t designed for bass so you won’t get it to sound like a bass amp.

I thought you advise NOT to mic Kabinet/Kone?!

he do say that. I think the point of the quest the was asking was to help troubleshoot and find possible causes of any problem the previous poster was experiencing rather than to suggest the kone is suitable for micing

• I actually #RTFM first thing, but I generally think some info could be added to the use of direct profiles and how to make sure to get the best experience. That might reduce some confusion like I experienced myself when I got the Kabinet (for example Cab parameters are still active in Imprint Mode, etc). In the facebook user groups and some youtube videos about the Kab / Kone I've seen a tremendous amount of questions where people seem to have trouble to understand the features of the Kone, so I think a more detailed description might save the support team some work.

Well, we make the observation that too many users don't read the documentation. You can tell that even some of the video creators have not cared about the manual. Improving the docs would not change the picture too much, I'm afraid ...

• No matter how its named or described, FRFR range (frequency range measured by a frequency meter) is much wider than any guitar cab can produce. Thats all I am saying, so please name away whatever suites... :)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user