Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• I'm blaming the manual! Every time I read it, I find something cool and end up going on a tangent!

I'm aware a of this subgroup and conscious of being perceived as one:)

p.s very nice vibe generally in the Kemper forum.

• Hard to tell from the clip but I think this is suffering from loss of low end like all the high gain's I've tried. If you turn off imprints with high gain they are much better with default EQ. I have found if you use the Imprints (e.g V30) to get a decent sound with high gain you have to EQ the crap out of the profile. For example - increase Bass by +3.0, mids +0.5 and Treble +0.5 as a minimum. And thats on top of bass boost! Or is it just me.

Yes I would agree with you as a high gain player. I have my Kabinet here getting boxed back up today. The V30 (which is most commonly used in high gain profiles) is flat and required me to tweak a lot. Overall I also made the mistake of thinking a 1x12 could get a little bit of oomph on the low end.

• Yes thank you - Air Chorus it's much much better than the CE1 Vintage Chorus. Much wider. I love the CE1 chorus on AD120 and actually run it depth 0 and speed 0 --- i actually dont like choruses too much, but I love the sound the subtle CE1 gives.

Yup.

The Air Chorus is inspired by the CE1 being run in the stereo configuration.

While following the same principle (mixing modulated signals in the air), it circumvents the shortcomings of the vintage circuitry.

It treats both sides equally in terms of modulation and frequency responce, and it allows for modulation depths down to zero.

I knew that you would like it.

• Received the Kab today! :)

Works well with the TC Electronic bam200 power amp, although sold as a bass amp it’s perfect for guitarists and plenty of power & inexpensive.

After some playing I am very happy with the clean tones but also agree with some comments in this forum that with higher gain it becomes thin with the imprints & seems to require much additional bass to somewhat compensate.

• so far my thoughts as well. I’m on the verge of boxing and returning mine. I also have a Kone and I am building a cabinet for it.
    I still have to figure out how to hook my Roland GR55 into the Kemper to see how it works for that, oh well I’ll get it (on to reread the manual)

• I still have to figure out how to hook my Roland GR55 into the Kemper to see how it works for that, oh well I’ll get it (on to reread the manual)

When I was playing live with the GR-55, I put the mono output of the GR-55 into the loop return of the Kemper.
    Put a mono loop in the "X" slot and switch it in and out when needed. This way of connecting it only allows for EITHER the Kemper or GR to be active, but I never mixed both at the same time.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Received the Kab today! :)

Works well with the TC Electronic bam200 power amp, although sold as a bass amp it’s perfect for guitarists and plenty of power & inexpensive.

After some playing I am very happy with the clean tones but also agree with some comments in this forum that with higher gain it becomes thin with the imprints & seems to require much additional bass to somewhat compensate.

My tc BAM200 is arriving tomorrow. Where are you setting gain and master volume, or is that it in the pic?

• I had a TC Furlong Powered Cabinet and took the Kone out of the Kemper Cabinet, where I was using a Telonics Power Amp to drive, and put the Kone in that Powered Cab. The Furlong Cab is a great sounding cab with it's original speaker but after a few minutes of play after putting the Kone in it, I removed the Kone and replaced it in the Kemper Cab. It did not sound as good in the powered cab. I'm typically a 15 in JBL J or E 130 speaker fan but have to say so far I am impressed with the Kone. I've ordered a second Kemper Cab to run in Stereo out of the Power Amp. The Kone is so clean and I'm using the D120F Imprint. As for the manual, from working with a lot of Lexicon Effects Units (and others) I can generally pick something like the KPA up and get around pretty good on it. After I've worked with something like this for a while and get an idea of what things do, then I go back and read the manual front to back and I can better understand what it's saying and I've found that every time I read it, I learn new things, things I didn't see or comprehend the first or second time I read it.

• Hi Wolf. Yes I received the Kone yesterday, but I haven't tried it in the XiTone yet. I got a Kabinet in the same shipment so was playing with that. I'm not expecting good results with the XiTone afterall. I contacted Dayton amps and they say there's no way to combine the two outputs (bass and treble) into one output, so I think I'd be missing something in the end.

Because of that, the Kone may go into a 1x12 of my own making.

• Thx, then if I use a regular speaker jack , should I use the center rod ( orange on mine ) of the jack to PLUS kone wiring ?

and NOT the blue one ( outer rod of my speaker jack)

Is there a speaker in the cab already? If so wire the same. Typically, the tip is positive.

• You guys are geniuses.

• Yes I would agree with you as a high gain player. I have my Kabinet here getting boxed back up today. The V30 (which is most commonly used in high gain profiles) is flat and required me to tweak a lot. Overall I also made the mistake of thinking a 1x12 could get a little bit of oomph on the low end.

Oh no no, I would not do that. Clearly there is an issue/disparity and CKemper already said many high gain folk prefer FRFR mode. The Kemper is awesome and the Kone is amazing too. I could EQ it to sound great (big bass boost) it just took a bit of thought. guitarguy316 it took me 3 months to get used to the Kemper - it is just so sophisticated and requires knowledge to get the most out of it. It is not a GT-100 with presets!! My guess is that Kemper will do something in a free software update to improve Kone for metal players - Kemper is the Tesla of guitar processors. Be patient.