Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• That's a different problem. "not loud enough" is not the same as "doesn't sound good", which is what it seems you're saying.

I mean it's a little of both. Clean/low gain/even medium gains sounds okay. It's the high gain stuff that doesn't sound good to my ears. Mr. Kemper is right that he said FRFR mode is provbably better for high gain stuff and I would agree, but then you lose the amp in the room idea. Hence, why I'll just stick with buying a regular 2x12 v30 cabinet for playing DI profiles in person and headphone studio profiles at night.

• I mean it's a little of both. Clean/low gain/even medium gains sounds okay. It's the high gain stuff that doesn't sound good to my ears. Mr. Kemper is right that he said FRFR mode is provbably better for high gain stuff and I would agree, but then you lose the amp in the room idea. Hence, why I'll just stick with buying a regular 2x12 v30 cabinet for playing DI profiles in person and headphone studio profiles at night.

Do you have experience with classic guitar speakers?

Be prepared that a 2x12 v30 might not make a significant difference to a 1x12 or your 1x12 Imprint, to change the sound color to what you would expect.

Try to equalize with the Monitor equalizer.

• I thought I’d read a few days ago that the Aux input played through the Kone in FR mode even if the Kone and imprint are selected. Think it was Ingolf

I can’t find the original post and wondered if anyone had anymore information on this? Purely for curiosities sake and the fact it’s blown my mind for 3 days:)

I tried it last night with a backing track and it was ace.

• I thought I’d read a few days ago that the Aux input played through the Kone in FR mode even if the Kone and imprint are selected. Think it was Ingolf

I can’t find the original post and wondered if anyone had anymore information on this? Purely for curiosities sake and the fact it’s blown my mind for 3 days:)

I tried it last night with a backing track and it was ace.

From the main manual page 98

A signal on the Aux Input fed to the MONITOR OUTPUT by using the “Aux In >Monitor” control will be processed by
    the KEMPER Kone intelligence as well. It will always be processed in full-range mode, even if you play your Rigs in
    Speaker Imprint mode (Monitor Cab Off active).

Interesting to see users investing a 4 digit $ on innovative equipment, and then- instead of investing 10 minutes in reading a page or two in the manual - trying to retrieve a tiny trace of information posted by another user.

Time for some of us to feel a bit insulted maybe.

I wrote the manual in person and yes, Ingolf read the manual and posted that information :)

We had our first user forum back in 1998, and the first internet abbreviation I have learned was RTFM. Half a decade before AFAIK and LOL came up :)))

• Interesting response.

I wasn’t precise enough with my initial language. I KNOW that Aux in plays in FR mode. The post alerted to me to this, I then checked the manual. I was looking for more information - out of curiosity - on how this is actually programmed etc. It may be simple for most but I couldn’t understand how one ’signal’ could be FR and another with the imprints etc. I’ll keep my questions to myself.

You’re easily insulted! If I created a product worth 4 digits and somebody purchased it, loved it, spent countless hours enthusiastically learning and was nothing but respectful and decent on my 22 year old forum - I’d be something other than insulted and certainly wouldn’t encourage others to feel so.

Everyone has their area of expertise and this also allows the amount of time available to invest in a product or technology. Hopefully, when you step outside of your comfort zone people are more pleasant with you. Set an example of how you would like your community to interact with each other. There must be a code of conduct/house rules from 1998? So RTFM!

• as far as I know it works along these lines (bear in mind I’m only a guitar player not a software expert)

the Kone is a reasonably flat speaker but not totally flat

to make it flat the signal goes through some digital signal processing (DSP) to apply eq which compensates for the inaccuracies in the speaker itself.

to male it behave like a totally different speaker (Imprints) the signal goes through so magic process that only CK and the other boffins at Kemper understand but this is done with software too.

The signal from the guitar is converted to digital to allow it to be processed as desired.

the signal from the Aux in is processed independently of the guitar signal.

The two signals can then be mixed together before being output or sent out separately.

as the speaker characteristics are determined by the DSP applied to the signal rather than changing the speaker itself - both signals can behave totally different.

that’s my layman’s explanation. I am sure it is probably wrong on some technical points but I reckon I won’t be too far off the general idea.

hope that helps

• The Bass Boost parameter was not designed to compensate for a lack of bass ...

i suspect the Kone mode also wasn't designed to improve the sound of a regular 5$ oem speaker ... just thought i'd give it a try, chopsticks also aren't designed to scratch an itch under a plaster cast but work really well for that so hey you never know :P

-------------------------------------------------------

free you mind and your ass will follow …

• I'm puzzled !!!

Could someone explain what's happening when you're in this exact situation :

I use a Kone on my personal CAB with a power amp

in master menu I have checked Kemper Kone & Monitor Cab OFF

When I check rig manager's windows , I can still activate or deactivate the CAB part of my profile ( let's say it's a studio profile)

but shouldn't this part ( CAB from rig manager ) be grayed out since I checked Monitor Cab Off ???

I know part of the signal with the CAB's profile goes to SPDIF & DAW, but activating & deactivating the CAB in rig manager ALSO changes the sound on my KONE !!!

• i think the cab part has to be on cause it is sent to all other outputs as Main L / R etc, where you need the cab

its only off on the monitor part

that it changes the monitor out sound when turned on or off is not ok i think

• it is functioning as a Direct Profile, instead. You hear a difference in the Kone, because it is automatically switched to Full Range Mode with a Direct Profile.

Ahh yeah i forgot about this,

makes totally sense, sometimes we have to think in many ways instead of only one

then many functions make sense again as how they work

• I've been trying out all combinations of Kone full range and imprints, and there seem to be some profiles that sound better with Kone in full range than with imprints (mostly heavier gain profiles or ones with lots of full range effects), but as the profiles have less overdrive, the imprints start winning out. Fender clean profiles with Kone alnico imprints are a thing of true beauty.

I haven't heard a lot of difference with the Sweetening control, but will do more experimenting and focus on that. In the cab I'm using (an old Rocktron ported 1X12), it sounds mighty good with Sweetening and Bass Boost off, and Directivity on full.

One thing I did notice; in a side by side comparison with a F12-X200 in an identical cab, the Kone sounds FAR better in Kone full range mode than the Celestion F12-X200. No real comparison actually; the F12 has too much high treble and a low midrange bump not present in the Kone. The Kone full range actually sounds amazing playing Steely Dan... :D