Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• So played with Kemper + Fryette PS-2 + Kabinet.

Thoughts:

Fender amps / Vox amps with imprints (Jen P12R, Jen C12N Ceramic) sound definitely amp-in-the -roomish (Kemper Cone and Monitor Cab Off selected in OUTPUT menu). This I could not get with Yamaha DXR10.

High gain amps... this is tough to say. With "Kemper Cone" and "Monitor Cab Off" selected in OUTPUT menu I could not hear amp in the room so much (I heard it maybe once in guitar shop...) - well it was maybe there, when I set VOLUME on PS-2 to noon, but then my neighbours have to like metal music as well. But I don't find as much distinction between imprints, as it is on cleaner rigs.

I will compare once again with DXR10, but on cleaner profiles it sounds flat.

• I am seeing a lot of reports that the Kabinet doesn't really work much for high gain.

That is a huge bummer, if it is true. I have seen some videos where they say it's great, but I've seen more reviews that it is not up to the mark.

Perhaps you want to switch the Kabinet to FRFR mode as Mr CK suggested in another post? Could you report back after that please?

• I am seeing a lot of reports that the Kabinet doesn't really work much for high gain.

That is a huge bummer, if it is true. I have seen some videos where they say it's great, but I've seen more reviews that it is not up to the mark.

Perhaps you want to switch the Kabinet to FRFR mode as Mr CK suggested in another post? Could you report back after that please?

What do you mean by FRFR mode? I tried with selected "Kemper Cone" and selected "Monitor Cab Off" - sounded so so... then I tried with selected "Kemper Cone" and unselected "Monitor Cab Off" was really fizzy - had to set High Cut around 5500Hz. With unselected "Kemper Cone" and unselected "Monitor Cab Off" it was dull. I'm having hard time to judge it.

• Dear friends,

I received my Kemper Kone that I installed into a Montage 1x12.

I am having a strange feeling that Ì also had with the F12-X200, that a lot of profiles sound "muddy" (lots of bass & medium lows), just like if the cab was in the next room.

I tried to adjust the Monitor EQ and I obtained something quite satisfactory but it seems strange that so many profiles sound dull...

It is even duller when I am in FRFR mode...

Anyone had the same experience ? An idea to know where it comes from ? The thickness of the cab ?

I can't make a pro recording but I can make a video to show that...

Thanks a lot everyone !

• I'm wondering if the issue with Kone\imprints not working as well with high gain tones as low gain ones is the cab the Kone is installed into. The tone of a 4X12 cab has a lot of influence from the construction and wood used in the cab; that huge piece of wood on the back, only supported in one place, will definitely have a sonic effect. To my knowledge, the Kone imprint is specifically created to not have any cab coloring (unlike a standard cab IR), it is meant to sound as close to the raw speaker as possible. So to get the tone of the cab, you have to install the Kone into such a cab and set its imprint accordingly, or set the Kone full range and use an IR of the preferred cab.

• Send a video with the different setting combinations (specifically Kone output page and maybe the CAB and AMP settings and any EQ settings).

I seem to be able to get any sound sounding good, but sometimes a lot of EQ adjustment is required.

• What settings were you using with "Kemper Kone" and "Monitor Cab Off" - both selected? What kind of profiles did you try (gainy or cleaner)?

• Send a video with the different setting combinations (specifically Kone output page and maybe the CAB and AMP settings and any EQ settings).

I seem to be able to get any sound sounding good, but sometimes a lot of EQ adjustment is required.

Thank you man, I will record something tomorrow. the fact is, I am used to rehearse with two Yamaha DXR12, and the sound is nowhere like the one I get with the Kone in my cab. I know it is supposed to be different, but here it is TOTALLY different. SO different that I was wonderingif it could come from my cab structure or something wrong with my powered toaster...

• What settings were you using with "Kemper Kone" and "Monitor Cab Off" - both selected? What kind of profiles did you try (gainy or cleaner)?

Flat monitor EQ, Directivity at 5, profiles coming from Michael Britt, TopJimi, Lars Luettge, Lasse Lammert & Tone Junkie. All of them have this muddy & supercharged in medium & low medium aspect that I do not have with a DXR12...

• Flat monitor EQ, Directivity at 5, profiles coming from Michael Britt, TopJimi, Lars Luettge, Lasse Lammert & Tone Junkie. All of them have this muddy & supercharged in medium & low medium aspect that I do not have with a DXR12...

So I guess, it was Kemper Kone selected and Monitor Cab Off selected as well?

• For me it also is nasal and with blanket over the speaker. When I unselect Monitor Cab Off, it sounds more alive, but kinda fizzy. Really weird. On clean and hairy profiles it is amp in the room however.

Weird... Have you got the Kabinet or a custom cab with the Kone ?

• « blanket over the speaker » is exactly what I’m hearing. Someone could please help us?

I have a weird suspicion that somehow the Cab Sim has been enabled (even though you both have confirmed that you have enabled-checked Monitor Cab/Off). Sounds like two EQ filters in series, i.e., processing amp audio signal through a Cab Sim and then playing through a non-linear guitar speaker, presuming the KPA is also displaying that Kone mode is active. Possible software bug? Just spit-balling, here.