Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• any issues with the amp being 8hm and the kemper kone being 4 ohm? Debating between this and the SD PS-170

This Amp has 200W at 4 Ohm. I have it with the Kone Speaker in a Palmer Box. It sounds great.

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

• Ich habe eine Frage an ckemper

Für mich ist der Schlüssel zur Verwendung des Kegels die Möglichkeit, die Drucke pro Rig zu speichern.

Zum Beispiel würde ich einen anderen Lautsprecher für einen sauberen Klang bevorzugen als für einen verzerrten verzerrten Klang.

Soweit ich weiß, wurde der Kone für das Gefühl des Gitarristen entwickelt, daher geht es hauptsächlich um bestimmte Anwendungen. Lebe ohne PA für kleine Auftritte, im Übungsraum, zu Hause und natürlich überall dort, wo kleines Besteck benötigt wird.

Die Drucke sind einfach fantastisch!

Ein 112-Schrank klingt nie wie ein 412-Schrank. Es wäre großartig, einen 112-Aufdruck auf 212 oder 412 modellieren zu können. Wäre dies technisch möglich?

Gibt es bereits ein grobes Zeitfenster für ein Update, mit dem die Abdrücke dann pro rig gespeichert werden können?

• My Kabinet arrived earlier this week...

First comments:

• Blimey it is small and light - shame its so small as can't easily balance my rack on it
    • Sounds different....not sure if its better but then I never trust my ears and I think I need to get used to it
    • Struggling a bit to get my head around merged vs studio vs cab off etc as in impact on the kone software, but thank goodness its just the press of a couple of buttons so easy to use....in other words I'm going worry less about what its doing and more about setting the sound up on a single setting i.e. Kone on
    • Very happy I bought a powered rack :)

Not sure its a step change for me BUT I love the way it all works together and I know that I can make maximum use of the sound shaping through the imprints. Wish I was gigging to give it a good run with the band, might get another for looks!

ckemper Just wanna say thanks :)

• Well this arrived a day early! Good time for a Quarantine!

I do have a question. The speaker cable I ordered is not coming in until tomorrow. Will it hurt to use a regular guitar patch cable until then? Too much? I don't plan on cranking it!

I too was amazed how small it is! Win Win!

• From this webpage...

https://www.fender.com/article…he-same-as-speaker-cables

If you use an instrument cable as a speaker cable, you’re probably OK at low signal levels. At high signal levels, though, trouble brews—all that amp power attempts to flow through the instrument cable’s too-small conductor. The unhappy result is that a lot of amp power is converted to heat and never even reaches the speakers. You get reduced speaker output, some probable distortion and, in extreme situations, heat-induced cable or cable connector failure. And you definitely don’t want your amp overheating.

• From this webpage...

https://www.fender.com/article…he-same-as-speaker-cables

If you use an instrument cable as a speaker cable, you’re probably OK at low signal levels. At high signal levels, though, trouble brews—all that amp power attempts to flow through the instrument cable’s too-small conductor. The unhappy result is that a lot of amp power is converted to heat and never even reaches the speakers. You get reduced speaker output, some probable distortion and, in extreme situations, heat-induced cable or cable connector failure. And you definitely don’t want your amp overheating.

Thanks, cable due in tomorrow...I'll just stare at all it's Glory until then ;)

• I do have a question. The speaker cable I ordered is not coming in until tomorrow. Will it hurt to use a regular guitar patch cable until then? Too much? I don't plan on cranking it!

Instrument cable will be of little use ... if you have a couple of plugs and some twin core mains cable (I use 6 amp) this will make a serviceable speaker lead. I use it all the time.

• No

you have to plug the Kabinet to the dedicated speaker output

on the upper left of the Back thats were the power amp works

you only have a single amp in the head

for stereo you need a second power amp

• No

you have to plug the Kabinet to the dedicated speaker output

on the upper left of the Back thats were the power amp works

you only have a single amp in the head

for stereo you need a second power amp

Thanks. So there is no way to put two in Stereo like I did with the Headrush speakers. Oh well :)

• An FR speaker SHOULD only put out what you put into it, but I don't believe there is a PERFECTLY FLAT speaker anywhere. I've never seen a frequency response chart for a speaker that was a flat line.

This question has been asked to Jay Mitchell (the designer of the CLR). His answer was that what matters is that the response is flat enough with relationship to human ability to discern differences.

A weighted response, if you will.
    :)

The top end can be what I think of as too hi-Fi. Especially on the heavier profiles with more gain. Not bad at all and would work fine in 95% of the applications with a live band.

This is what a close mic'ed cab sounds like. When using a linear solution, the electric guitar player should EQ their tone the way the soundguy does.

Think of a linear cab like a block of marble, where you can sculpt your tone.

The Kabinet didn't have the hi-Fi sound to it and just feels more natural.

Right, because there's no tweeter and the above-mentioned lowpass filter is obtained mechanically, so to speak.
    This is part of what "amp in the room" means.

So the effect is not linear. I know of no “loudness” compensation button on any stereo system that took this non-linear behavior into consideration. When you activated the compensation you got the same level of bass boost regardless of where the volume was set.

It's not only not linear, it's parametric (it depends on the reference level). Anyway those curves are statistically got (IOW, that's an average among all the reported feelings of those who were tested: not scientific at all in a sense, but very useful in order to understand how you hearing works :)

Certain device exhibit a continuous loudness compensation, so that you can dose it at will (Yamaha A500 comes to mind).

with a 200w poweramp (the bam200) there is no risk of blowing up the Kabinet (also 200w)?

Keep in mind that the Kone is labelled to be 200 W @ 4 ohm (nominal). Your amp's specs probably refer to 8 ohm?

anyone got a double Kabinet stack? Not sure if there is any point and would it be different to a 2x12 Kone setup?

Ye, it (generally) would. When two speakers output the same signal in phase on the same plane, the distance between them makes so that the same freq from the two is algebraically summed at the listening point (that is, according to their phase), and this is of course different by frequency.

the result is that some get empathised, some attenuated, some cancelled (at a given listening point). This effect is called comb filter, because of the frequency spectrum's typical look

[Blocked Image: https://recordingology.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/combfilterweb.jpg]

At a given listening point and position from the cabinet, the filter's look (and sound) depends on the distance between/among the speakers. So in general we can say that a nxy" cab exhibits a peculiar comb filter, but if the speakers can be moved from each other there's more freedom at somehow controlling the filtering action.

Apart from this, different cabinets (enclosures) will generally sound different from each other. it's not just a matter of internal volume and building material: the shape of the cab (and any internal panel/channelling) determines not only the amount of air that moves inside the cab at every piston's movement, but also its speed and latency. This works like a damping system, that deeply modulates the cone's "on air" response.

HTH

Still chasing a worthy one :/