Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Difference between a regular instrument cable, and a Speaker cable (for the Kabinet). This is why I waited a day. Kemper said the other cable would overheat. It was worth the 1-day wait.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The Kone does not feature a natural lowpass filter as the Kone mode fully compensates for it.

Ah, thanks :)
    So is the compensation always on, even in Imprint mode and when no audio is fed through Aux in?

Let it be clear that I meant that as a compliment, to acknowledge the quality of sound I've been hearing about when Imprints are used ;)

Also, totally agree on some 2-way speaker/cab being too bright! Too often, tho, the electric guitar player end up believing that a tweeter unavoidably makes for a harsh sound, and you'll agree this is another myth to debunk :) Of course, if we send a linear cab the signal we use for a guitar cab, we get unwanted harshness.

Happy Easter!

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• I may be reading your post wrong so apologies if I am but, if you're disabling the cab section on the kemper then you aren't using FR mode on the kone as the kone still requires the cab section to be on. You need to select the kone, and have the monitor cab off unticked in the output setting for the FR setting. If you run the kemper with cab section turned off you're in effect just using a profile of an amp head running through the kone as if it were it's own speaker like a standard cab, as the kone is only FR when the DSP compensates the speaker to make it FR.

sorry for the misunderstanding. I’m doing what you described. I have Kone enabled and I have monitor cab off which essentially makes it frfr mode. If I have monitor cab on then I would be using the imprints. I keep monitor cab off and adjust the sweetening level to get the sound I want. I’ve tried all the imprints and to me they just blanket a lot of the bite in the gain of the profiles I’m using.

• Ah, thanks :)
    So is the compensation always on, even in Imprint mode and when no audio is fed through Aux in?

Let it be clear that I meant that as a compliment, to acknowledge the quality of sound I've been hearing about when Imprints are used ;)

Also, totally agree on some 2-way speaker/cab being too bright! Too often, tho, the electric guitar player end up believing that a tweeter unavoidably makes for a harsh sound, and you'll agree this is another myth to debunk :) Of course, if we send a linear cab the signal we use for a guitar cab, we get unwanted harshness.

Happy Easter!

The real problem I've found with a tweeter in a FRFR used for guitar is something you don't hear mentioned very much. When a woofer\tweeter cab is designed, the crossover is engineered to allow proper integration of the drivers over the frequency range. This usually involves some attenuation of the signal to the tweeter as compared to the woofer, as the tweeter is usually more efficient. But the problem happens at loud stage volumes; often the woofer can run into acoustic compression and hit a maximum volume level, even though you put more power into it. This is a form of speaker distortion you hear often in loud amps. But since the tweeter is more efficient and often has a higher maximum acoustic output, when the woofer is at its acoustic max out, but the power is increased further, the tweeter will continue to get louder and be unbalanced with the woofer acoustically. That makes the tone very unpleasant at high volumes.

I've been trying to get whizzer cone speakers to work in my guitar rigs for years now for the above reason, but have not been successful as that type of speaker has too many dips and peaks in the response. I was quite excited to see Kemper using whizzer cones, and they have done a masterful job taming the problems with them, while keeping the benefits (mainly lack of harshness and even response over volume range). I strongly feel that the Kemper approach is the best yet devised for giving the most versatile and full frequency response for modeler speakers at loud stage volumes.

• What two-way speakers have you been using?

Quite a few wedge monitors over the years. The one that did this compression thing the most was a new EV ZXA1-90; it totally fell apart in response on the first gig. As the volume on stage got loud, all that could be heard from the EV was the tweeter, everything else was inaudible above the other instruments (4 piece horn band). There were a few Carvin 12" unpowered wedge monitors that did this, along with a Mackie 12" powered one.

Another related problem is when the power amp runs out of headroom and starts clipping, but you are using an unpowered monitor with a crossover and tweeter. The harmonics generated from the clipping are faithfully reproduced by the tweeter, and that does not make for a pleasant sound. I had this happen on my last gig with a F12-X200 and an ICEPower 50ASX2BTL power amp; it ran out of steam from too much lows and started clipping, and the tone got really harsh. For this reason, I'd like to personally thank you for the 4 ohm impedance of the Kone!! Just doubled the usable power from the ICEPower amp module.

• I just tried a cabinet with my GR55. Through the aux in.
    The Speaker didn’t hold together on the lower notes of a B3 type patch. I was pretty disappointed.

So looks like for live. For most gigs. It’ll still be my CLR NEO

I’m returning the Kabinet after ToneWars does a review on Wednesday

I still have a Kone and I’m building a couple of cabs same MDF material ( and a ultra-lite plywood one. They will both be solidly sealed (Unlike the Kabinet) and self powered with a icepower amp

• What two-way speakers have you been using?

Various, over the years. It's not a problem that has manifested itself with the Kemper (for me anyway), though I have seen many comments from people unhappy with 'FRFR' monitors etc. MKB 's piece about amps on the limit and tweeters exposing the distortion made sense to me. That said, I use an F12-X200 with the KPA power head (Treble and Presence tweaked) and haven't run into difficulties as yet. Perhaps I don't play loud enough?!

• HI

I am one day in with my Kabinet. So far, it is better than the Friedman FRFR and JBL studio monitors for home use-in fact it is not even close. I picked up a Powerstage used and it seems like a great set up.

I am having a problem which I am sure is user error which is my Kabinet choices are not saving from profile to profile. IE every time I move to a different profile the legacy Imprint cab moves with it...Can you help me with what I am doing wrong? If this has been answered, I apologize for asking a redundant question-I tried to find the solution.

Thanks

• From what I understand the imprints can't be saved with individual profiles, but I believe this is being looked at in a future update.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• Wow....That is a huge bummer. I hope they are able to make a change to that....Had I been aware that it was not possible I would have likely held off buying the Kabinet until that functionality was available. I really like the Kabinet and the Imprint technology really does make this feel like an amp in the room.

Edited 2 times, last by kojack19 ().

• Wow....That is a huge bummer. I hope they are able to make a change to that....Had I been aware that it was not possible I would have likely held off buying the Kabinet until that functionality was available. I really like the Kabinet and the Imprint technology really does make this feel like an amp in the room.

Id be quite happy if I were you.

Im still waiting for mine but they're saying its out of stock for up to 4 months in Europe.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel