Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• I really think its loud. However I am using low volumes at home.

I just tried cranking the ISP, with Monitor out at -16db and its unbearable in the house. This is with the mono output. The bridged output is even louder. Good headroom too I think.

I cant imagine needing more for monitoring purposes.

Any ideas on the Stereo Monitor issue_

I should probably start a thread...

Good info, thanks I appreciate it!

• Sorry if this has been asked and I’m sure it has. This thread has grown tremendously.
    Kone OFF and Monitor Cab Off Unselected = FR mode??
    Kone ON and Monitor Cab Off Unselected = Also FR mode?
    there’s definitely a different sound to both options. Just trying to figure out which one is intended to be FR mode. I know when I was running the toaster to my Yamaha HS8 I always had theMonitor Cab Off Unselected so I could enjoy the cab in the profile. Just don’t know what internal differences are created by selecting the Kone on / off feature. Thanks gang.

• Kone Off is FR mode but without any compensation for the frequency response of the Kone speaker itself.

No speaker is totally flat so the Kone software applies an eq setting that compensates for this. This EQ is specifically tailored for the Kone speaker. If you want a flat response from the Kone or Kabinet you should use Kone On. If you are using a different speaker you should use Kone Off.

However, as always, if it sounds good to you then it is good so use whichever one you prefer.

• Kone Off is FR mode but without any compensation for the frequency response of the Kone speaker itself.

No speaker is totally flat so the Kone software applies an eq setting that compensates for this. This EQ is specifically tailored for the Kone speaker. If you want a flat response from the Kone or Kabinet you should use Kone On. If you are using a different speaker you should use Kone Off.

However, as always, if it sounds good to you then it is good so use whichever one you prefer.

Thank you so much

• The Imprint thing is a different "compensation", they are also fully digitally controlled.

The FR runs in parallel, for the Aux In.

So If I get it right it would be correct to say that it's not intrinsically the Kone that's driven to linearity by the DSP, but rather that each kind of signal (be it from the Aux In, from the Imprints' computational engine or from a complete rig with a cab profile in it) is processed according to the already-known Kone's physical transfer function so to return an overal linear (or faithful if you will) response.
    Hope this makes sense.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• The real problem I've found with a tweeter in a FRFR used for guitar is something you don't hear mentioned very much. When a woofer\tweeter cab is designed, the crossover is engineered to allow proper integration of the drivers over the frequency range. This usually involves some attenuation of the signal to the tweeter as compared to the woofer, as the tweeter is usually more efficient. But the problem happens at loud stage volumes; often the woofer can run into acoustic compression and hit a maximum volume level, even though you put more power into it. This is a form of speaker distortion you hear often in loud amps. But since the tweeter is more efficient and often has a higher maximum acoustic output, when the woofer is at its acoustic max out, but the power is increased further, the tweeter will continue to get louder and be unbalanced with the woofer acoustically. That makes the tone very unpleasant at high volumes.

I hear you.
    This means that the crossover is poorly designed tho, and that the two speakers are not matched well. You never hear this in a high-quality multiway system for hi-fi, for example.
    Often this has to do with the cabinet's acoustic impedance: if the internal volumes for the two drivers are not properly designed (or if there's no division at all), at high volume the damping effect of the internal air reacting to the piston motion becomes prevalent for the mid-woofer, which moves a lot more air than the tweeter.
    The audible effect is indeed similar to compression but is actually a bit different, because there's no actual limitation of the response energy but a different distribution in the time domain. You see that in the waterfall graphic, and it becomes apparent in the speakers' time alignment (we call it step input signal, not sure about its name in English), where the mid-woofer's peak shows an increasing delay with respect to the tweeter's.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• Wow i really enjoy the cone cabinet, this is it!
    combine the new cone with the new MBritt 2020 pack and i’m in guitar sound heaven.

I’m intrigued by the stereo button in the imprints section, what’s it for?

Knowing the magicians at Kemper I expect there will come a stereo cabinet that will add an extra layer to the signal through the mono amplifier that the cabinet will translate into the 2nd channel.
    If not please do haha!

Thanks thanks Kemper you gave me years of enjoying sounds!!

• It for when you run stereo.

From the manual:"You can also drive guitar cabinets in stereo via an external solid-state power amp. The PROFILER Stage offers a

stereo MONITOR OUTPUT for this purpose.
    For all other PROFILER variants, you need to activate “Monitor Stereo” and pair MONITOR OUTPUT and DIRECT
    OUTPUT to become one pair of stereo outputs. All settings of the MONITOR OUTPUT like “Monitor Cab. Off” are
    now automatically applied to both outputs"

• I was surprised by theKabinet demand in Europe. But so seem'd to be Kemper as well. :)

"Delivery time 120 Workdays" for the cabinet made to think about getting some manufacturer X cabinet + kone(s) for it.

But gladly just noticed one returned B-stock. Hopefully I was the fastest getting it,,, and now we'll wait to get some tasting. 8):):thumbup:

• I was surprised by theKabinet demand in Europe. But so seem'd to be Kemper as well. :)

"Delivery time 120 Workdays" for the cabinet made to think about getting some manufacturer X cabinet + kone(s) for it.

But gladly just noticed one returned B-stock. Hopefully I was the fastest getting it,,, and now we'll wait to get some tasting. 8):):thumbup:

I'm hoping its not going to be as long as 120 days.

DV247 saying beginning second week in May, I guess we'll see.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• Just an FYI for people that have the pops on startup/shutdown. I've been looking around for a bit of a solution and found the D'addario PW-AGRAP-2 jacks that have a latching mute switch. I'm planning on putting one of these on the cable going from monitor out to the camplifier, as at the moment I've been avoiding pops by plugging in the monitor out after start up/ unplugging before shutdown but I don't want to do this forever as it's unnecessary wear on the monitor output.

I've only ordered one yesterday so I'll report back when it's here but it seems like the perfect solution until we get a software fix to mute outputs on startup/shutdown

- Liam

Edited once, last by 4sqbbs ().