Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• ckemper you had asked about the Sweetening for those that use FR mode. Previously I hadn't found it to be preferred to using regular EQ however I now think this may depend on the profile.

I was creating a profile today and thought I would give it another shot and with this profile it worked really well. I guess this isn't exactly surprising as some profiles sound better on different FRFR.

Thanks for the options.

• The thing i keep seeing here is that the Kabinet is to be connected to the monitor output, but as a cab shouldn't this primarily be the speaker output (i.e. like a normal cab)? Surely the Kone IRs can be used on speaker output mode too for all profile types.

Lots of conflicting information and nothing concrete to say it can be used in that way when also recording through S/PDIF etc. also.

• I don't know if this has been answered elsewhere but do the rigs within the Kemper need to be direct profiles to work with the Kone speaker imprints or will all of them work successfully?

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• The thing i keep seeing here is that the Kabinet is to be connected to the monitor output, but as a cab shouldn't this primarily be the speaker output (i.e. like a normal cab)? Surely the Kone IRs can be used on speaker output mode too for all profile types.

Lots of conflicting information and nothing concrete to say it can be used in that way when also recording through S/PDIF etc. also.

Speaker output have the same features of Monitor output, without power amplifier.

For connect the Kabinet with Monitor output you need an external poweramp.

Yep, the point is that the power amp is led by Monitor out. So basically the information means "not Main out".
    :)

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• Lots of conflicting information and nothing concrete to say it can be used in that way when also recording through S/PDIF etc. also.

No conflicting information as far as I can see. The situation is very concrete. The imprints are only available through the monitor out. Not through, Main Out, Direct Out or SPDIF - only monitor out. However, in powered Kempers ,the monitor out is the same signal as the speaker out but run through an amplifier to allow it to run a cab.

• Anyone on here know what a single Kone does with the Aux input if it is stereo? I read that the cone can reproduce the aux input in a linear fashion when being used as a guitar speaker with an imprint but I haven't seen any info about whether this sums the stereo input for mono output or if it just reproduces the left/right channel.

• Anyone on here know what a single Kone does with the Aux input if it is stereo? I read that the cone can reproduce the aux input in a linear fashion when being used as a guitar speaker with an imprint but I haven't seen any info about whether this sums the stereo input for mono output or if it just reproduces the left/right channel.

I guess it depends on what you have you Master set to in the Output menu; Master mono or Master stereo

• I guess it depends on what you have you Master set to in the Output menu; Master mono or Master stereo

My guess is that you'll only get one of the input channels if you run stereo in but only have one side hooked up on the output.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

Mine only gave me the left channel until I found the Aux mono button in the output menu. Now it outputs a nice mono which I guess is what you are after.

• I guess it depends on what you have you Master set to in the Output menu; Master mono or Master stereo

Hi Sam,

Did you mean the Monitor Output? In other words, ensure that "Monitor Stereo" has not accidentally been selected in the Ouput / Monitor settings. The default setting on all the classic KPA models (not sure about the Stage) is Monitor Mono..

I don't think the Master Output settings have any effect, or are relevant to how the Kemper Kone (which is always connected to the Monitor/Speaker Output) reproduces a stereo playback signal connected to the Aux In.

Cheers,

John

• Yes! Exactly what I meant. That’ll teach me to type while watching Tiger King...

• KEMPER KONE, TWO LINE 6 DT25 CABS, AND A PALMER MACHT 402 POWER AMP.

I bought the KEMPER Kone 2x12" Set, and they arrived on 23rd March 2020 - lock-down day in the UK - how lucky was I! I replaced the speakers in my Line 6 DT25 cabs straight away, and the sound difference was immediate due to the better frequency response, 50-10,000 Hz, compared to about 55-5,000Hz from the Line 6 Celestion G12H-90 speakers. If you thought the Kemper Profiler Amp couldn't get any better - it just has!

The KEMPER Kone is rated at 200 watts at 4 Ohms; the Celestion G12H-90 speakers were only 90 watts at 8 Ohms. I use a Palmer Macht 402 power amp with my KPA rack unit, and that can pump out 200 watts per channel at 4 Ohms, so now I can use its full output, but, I would never need that much volume - ever! The sound from the Line 6 Celestion G12H-90 speakers was excellent, with tons of bass, but obviously, limited. But, now, with the two KEMPER Kone's fitted, it's a whole new experience. The sound coming out of my cabs is fantastic, and glorious in stereo. I've got more bottom end, great mids, and of course, I now have a much better top end response, something I've always wanted. It's that good, I've had to alter all my EQs! Another bonus is I no longer need to use my headphones all the time, because of the KEMPER Kone's wider frequency response. The various speaker imprints are great, my favourite is the Celestion G12H Heritage speaker, and I also have a load of new speaker settings to mess about with.

I really like the look of the Line 6 DT25 cab, it has a sort of 50s Fender vibe about it. It was designed by amp guru Reinhold Bogner, and I can't help but notice how similar the KEMPER Kabinet is, in looks, and in size? Because it was so similar, it was the main reason I upgraded my Line 6 cabs - plus, it saved me a ton of cash! I didn't fancy using the supplied Kemper stencil on the front of my cabs, instead I'm going to alter the logo somehow. I just wished Kemper would do some type of bumper/window sticker, it would make things a lot easier. Wouldn't be great if Kemper sold merchandise like t-shirts, hats, and other stuff. I've mocked up a photo just to see how the Line 6 cab would look with a Kemper logo (see pic).

I can't gig any more, but now I have a wall of sound (see pic) - I call it my happy place. 8)