Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• The Line 6 Celestion G12H-90 speakers fitted in my DT25 112 extension cabs were excellent, but they're not a patch on the KEMPER Kone. Because of the superior frequency response of the Kone, you can really hear the difference between the various speaker imprints. The difference in sound is on another level, they seem to reproduce every nuance of the profiled amp. That lovely creamy valve amp tone just comes shining through; they're well worth the extra money.

Have you thought about putting a pair of small ports in the front of your cab, it let the speaker "breathe", or is it open-back cab? Also, has it got baffling on the inside? The sound out of the Line 6 cabs is huge, the bass response is amazing for the size. The closed-back, front-ported design, and the baffling, really seems to make a big difference.

• Almost finished my 1x12 cab loaded with a Celestion K12H-200TC. It sounds massive with the Kone imprints. I took a gamble on the K12H rather than the Kemper Kone version of that speaker as its literally almost 1/3 the price here in Australia. Couldnt be happier with the sound, I finally have the amp in the room sound with the flexibility of imprints for different tonal flavours. I seriously cant imagine the Kone sounding 3 times better for the price.

What is the cab size and wood material? Have you used any template?

• Almost finished my 1x12 cab loaded with a Celestion K12H-200TC. It sounds massive with the Kone imprints. I took a gamble on the K12H rather than the Kemper Kone version of that speaker as its literally almost 1/3 the price here in Australia. Couldnt be happier with the sound, I finally have the amp in the room sound with the flexibility of imprints for different tonal flavours. I seriously cant imagine the Kone sounding 3 times better for the price.

I suppose the only thing to bare in mind is that the imprints were designed specifically around the the frequency response of the kone, so while I'm sure it sounds great (and that's what really matters at the end of the day), it won't be exactly the same as using the kone

- Liam

• I suppose the only thing to bare in mind is that the imprints were designed specifically around the the frequency response of the kone, so while I'm sure it sounds great (and that's what really matters at the end of the day), it won't be exactly the same as using the kone

Looking at the specs for both and the only difference I can tell (Based on something Mr Kemper said) is the tweaked whizzer cone which Im guessing alters the hf dispersion. Im sure curiosity will get the better of me and Ill get my hands on a Kone one day to try out but for now, know that the imprints sound pretty amazing on the stock K12H.

I havent had a chance to really try FRFR on this speaker so it might fall down there, but Ill never use it that way personally so its a mute point for me.

Im so impressed with the imprints vs FRFR. Finally feels like an amp and cab. Im now lusting after a quad of these in an a nice 4x12. Damn you Kemper!

• Looking at the specs for both and the only difference I can tell (Based on something Mr Kemper said) is the tweaked whizzer cone which Im guessing alters the hf dispersion. Im sure curiosity will get the better of me and Ill get my hands on a Kone one day to try out but for now, know that the imprints sound pretty amazing on the stock K12H.

I havent had a chance to really try FRFR on this speaker so it might fall down there, but Ill never use it that way personally so its a mute point for me.

Im so impressed with the imprints vs FRFR. Finally feels like an amp and cab. Im now lusting after a quad of these in an a nice 4x12. Damn you Kemper!

Yeah I've been loving the imprints so far. Feels like you have the real thing behind you when playing! I'm like you, I don't think I'll really ever use FRFR mode. When I was using the kemper with FRFR I was trying to get it to sound more amp in the room, but I didn't want to switch to using a normal cab because then I'd only be able to use the profiles with that one speaker, so the kabinet is perfect for me

• The Kemper Kone frequency response is 50-10,000 Hz, your average Celestion speaker, say something like a G12H, will be about 75-5,000 Hz, which obviously, is going to make a big difference sonically. You've also got the Kemper Profiler's DSP working its magic behind the scenes, all I know is that my KPA has never sounded better.

• Just received my Kone. I'm going to try swapping out the speaker in my Matrix NL12, but I have to wait a few days before I can test it, as I ordered a TC Bam200 to power it.

Id be interested to see what the results are. Those NL12 cabs have a massive bottom end from memory.

• I've got a pair of Line 6 DT25 extension cabs, and I was always impressed with the bottom end response from such a small cab, it's similar in design to the NL12. When I replaced the stock Celestion G12H-90 speakers with the Kemper Kone's, I had more of everything: bottom, middle, and, especially, the top end. But, what was even more striking, was the definition coming out of those little cabs. Because of the wider frequency response, and the speaker imprint technology, each rig can now sound the way it was meant to sound. So, a Marshall profile can use a Celestion speaker imprint, or a Fender profile can use something like the C12N imprint. Now, I'm not stuck with one sound like I was before the Kemper Kone came along.

• I've got a pair of Line 6 DT25 extension cabs, and I was always impressed with the bottom end response from such a small cab, it's similar in design to the NL12. When I replaced the stock Celestion G12H-90 speakers with the Kemper Kone's, I had more of everything: bottom, middle, and, especially, the top end. But, what was even more striking, was the definition coming out of those little cabs. Because of the wider frequency response, and the speaker imprint technology, each rig can now sound the way it was meant to sound. So, a Marshall profile can use a Celestion speaker imprint, or a Fender profile can use something like the C12N imprint. Now, I'm not stuck with one sound like I was before the Kemper Kone came along.

Yeah, because of your post about the DT25, I was looking at one of the combo versions that was on sale locally (the extension cabs are impossible to find here). I’d probably just rip out the Line6 modeller part and replace it with the Bam200 in the short term, maybe an ICE Power amp at some point in the future.

• Sounds a bit expensive!

Personally, I would probably go for the Harley Benton G112 Vintage cabinet (plywood) from Thomann. It comes fitted with a 1x12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, all you need to do is just swap it out for a KEMPER Kone. Then, either sell Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, or use it for something else, it's a bargain for €129!

There's also the empty Palmer 1-12 Cabinet Unloaded (MDF) from Thomann, for €104, or the Harley Benton G112 (MDF) for €79.

There's a few options on the Thomann website.

• Apologize it this has been asked and answered already, but anyone know if daisy chaining 2 kabs using the kab's built in output, is it series for 8ohms total? Or parallel for 2 ohms total?

• Now you say! after I just purchased a Victory cab for £399!

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• Victory V112-V 1x12 Compact Cab, redwood pine used on the top and sides, and Baltic birch ply used on the backs and the baffles, fitted with a 1x12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker - £399.

A Harley Benton G112 Vintage, 18mm poplar ply, fitted with a 1x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker - £111!

I'm just thankful I bought two Line 6 DT25 112 extension cabinets when I did. It's over four years ago now, and I still think they're the best looking 1x12 cab out there. Designed by tube-amp guru Reinhold Bogner, and made from Baltic birch ply. They sounded fantastic with the 12" custom Celestion G12H-90 speaker; they sound even better with the KEMPER Kone!

• Victory V112-V 1x12 Compact Cab, redwood pine used on the top and sides, and Baltic birch ply used on the backs and the baffles, fitted with a 1x12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker - £399.

A Harley Benton G112 Vintage, 18mm poplar ply, fitted with a 1x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker - £111!

I'm just thankful I bought two Line 6 DT25 112 extension cabinets when I did. It's over four years ago now, and I still think they're the best looking 1x12 cab out there. Designed by tube-amp guru Reinhold Bogner, and made from Baltic birch ply. They sounded fantastic with the 12" custom Celestion G12H-90 speaker; they sound even better with the KEMPER Kone!

I know I could have gone for a more affordable cab than the Victory but as I'm tempted by the Victory Sheriff amp I thought i'd kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

For me its a good looking cab too and hey its only money.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel