Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Kone arrived this morning and now resides in my little Victory 1 x 12.

All I have to say is........WOW! I'm so impressed with my new set up.

Ive spent a fair bit lately getting it all, the Camplifier SHP as I have the unpowered KPA, the Victory cabinet, and also the Kone, I even upgraded my Wah pedal from the Moog to the Mission Engineering. However I feel it really has been money well spent.

I originally used a Headrush FR108 which in its defence is pretty good value for money. The Camplifier arrived first and then the Victory which I tried for a few days, this was already a significant improvement on the Headrush, but with the Kone fitted it really is the real deal.

Its been interesting to experiment all the three stages over the last couple of weeks.

The imprints are great (its worth finding out what speaker is best suited to the amp), and in my humble opinion are a massive upgrade to the FR function of the Kone.

The cleans and the slightly broken up amp profiles are fantastic, not good, FANTASTIC. Hi gain profiles sound great too but I'm not really into them so I don't feel I can comment so much.

I plugged back into the Headrush to hear the difference and there was no comparison., Its like watching a blockbuster movie in an IMAX cinema as opposed to watching it on you phone, and laid the amp in the room discussion there and then for me.

Definitely definitely worth the money.

I would have purchased the KPA Kabinet if only I could have got hold of one, however I reckon my set up is as good if not better.

You can probably sense how pleased I am.

Just need to sell my Headrush FR and Moog pedal now!!

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• Glad it worked out for you in the end! I know it's probably a bit of a faff now, but it would great to hear your thoughts on similarity between the original speaker from the victory cab as opposed to the imprint of the same speaker with the kone in the victory cab

• I've got a pair of Line 6 DT25 extension cabs, and I was always impressed with the bottom end response from such a small cab, it's similar in design to the NL12. When I replaced the stock Celestion G12H-90 speakers with the Kemper Kone's, I had more of everything: bottom, middle, and, especially, the top end. But, what was even more striking, was the definition coming out of those little cabs. Because of the wider frequency response, and the speaker imprint technology, each rig can now sound the way it was meant to sound. So, a Marshall profile can use a Celestion speaker imprint, or a Fender profile can use something like the C12N imprint. Now, I'm not stuck with one sound like I was before the Kemper Kone came along.

I was doing the same with the DT25 cab and thought the G12's sounded warmer and the Kone harsher. I have the Kone currently installed in an open back 1 X 12 that I stuck a piece of plywood behind. But when I A/B-ed them one in left ear, one in right, the G12H-90 sounded a little blanketed. Then I ran backing tracks thru them the Kone was much more articulate so I guess I will keep it and put it in a Mojotone Baltic Birch 1x12 with 3 piece back, so I can run it open or closed.

• How did you do the logo? Mine did not turn out as clear . Did you use paint ?

I used the cut out from the speaker to fill the space again and I used push tacks to hold the stencil just to the fabric. don't over push in and distort the stencil so it maintains flat. Spray painted white, then after I used a new sharpie black perm marker to clean up the lines. not perfect but im good with it, I sprayed further away because it will "push and bleed" the lines because of the fabric if you get to close . multiple light coats about 18-20" straight down

• Glad it worked out for you in the end! I know it's probably a bit of a faff now, but it would great to hear your thoughts on similarity between the original speaker from the victory cab as opposed to the imprint of the same speaker with the kone in the victory cab

It was the first comparison i made using the Celestion Vintage 30. It wasn’t obviously a side by side comparison as I’d have to keep changing speakers, but to my ears as close to identical as I imagine it could be,

I’m very impressed and really pleased with this new set up.

• Here's the new rig and I'm thrilled with it. Thought adding the Tele made it look less like a Star Wars droid.

Yes spirit the Camplifier works a treat with it, totally transparent as you'd expect. I'm not currently using it in Stereo but I went for the SHP to future proof myself.

It sounds great, (except my playing) even at lower volumes, I tend to play around -23dB's in my garden office.

Edited 4 times, last by Crookster ().

• I was doing the same with the DT25 cab and thought the G12's sounded warmer and the Kone harsher. I have the Kone currently installed in an open back 1 X 12 that I stuck a piece of plywood behind. But when I A/B-ed them one in left ear, one in right, the G12H-90 sounded a little blanketed. Then I ran backing tracks thru them the Kone was much more articulate so I guess I will keep it and put it in a Mojotone Baltic Birch 1x12 with 3 piece back, so I can run it open or closed.

I found that the definition setting in the amp section makes an even bigger difference now I've got the KEMPER Kone speakers fitted. It usually sounds good around the 4 to 6 mark, but it depends a lot on the profile. I've also had to knock back my EQ settings a little, because the Kone is much more responsive than my old Celestion G12H-90 speakers.

• Howdy! I’m somewhat new to the Kemper scene and recently bought two Kemper Kabinets from British Audio. I’ve hooked them up to my Kemper Powerhead and seem to be having some trouble. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am running a speaker cable from the speaker output on the Powerhead to Kabinet #1‘s input. Then I’m running a speaker cable from Kabinet #1’s output to Kabinet #2’s input, completing my mini Kemper stack. I am getting sound through both, but the tone sounds small and thin. As soon as I disconnect a Kabinet from the chain and use just one Kab, the tone is full and glorious. I’m currently playing Tone Junkie’s wicked good Tone Mister and Dirty Surly profiles.

I read in the Kabinet user manual that I can link two Kabinets as I’ve done, and the two Kabs (4 ohms each) are then wired in series yielding 8 ohms. I’m stumped as both Kabs and speaker cables are working independently of each other.

Thank you kindly for any assistance!
    -Rob

• I suspect that there is some sort of mis-wiring in the output jack. Have you tried both speakers as the first in line, feeding the other?

• I suspect that there is some sort of mis-wiring in the output jack. Have you tried both speakers as the first in line, feeding the other?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I just tried your suggestion and guess what? The same result :-(. I can use either Kabinet with either speaker cable and all is well. But when I try to daisy chain them, it’s all whacked up. That leads me to believe there is a mis-wiring on the output of both Kabinets. What else could it be?

• sounds like some kind of phase issue,

open one cab and switch the speakercable points at the terminal of the speaker , means put + to - and vice versa

or try to switch the two soldering points on one of the speaker cables

• sounds like some kind of phase issue,

open one cab and switch the speakercable points at the terminal of the speaker , means put + to - and vice versa

or try to switch the two soldering points on one of the speaker cables

I feel dumb for not knowing better. Thanks for your suggestion! It truly does sound like a phase issue. But with two brand new Kabinets, I really do not want to, nor should I need to modify them. I wonder if ckemper can chime in on this issue?