Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Maybe one of your speaker cables is wired wrong?

Both speaker cables are new and identical. I also tried both cables on both Kabinets. Everything works OK until I link the Kabinets together. It surely does sound like a phase issue though. Appreciate the reply!

Also, I wonder if I’m in a small minority of Powerhead owners who are trying to use two Kabinets in this way?

• Both speaker cables are new and identical. I also tried both cables on both Kabinets. Everything works OK until I link the Kabinets together. It surely does sound like a phase issue though. Appreciate the reply!

Also, I wonder if I’m in a small minority of Powerhead owners who are trying to use two Kabinets in this way?

Do you have a multimeter? I'd check that both cables are wired tip to tip. It's easy to get it wrong and usually makes no difference, until you add a second, identical speaker!

• Substituting another speaker lead first for one and then the other would help identify if the leads are faulty as would a simple meter test. The tips at each end should be connected and the same goes for the sleeves.

• as i wrote. you may have an phase issue inside one of the cabs

built your self one "wrong " Speakercable , were tip and sleeve is changed and test with it

im sure there is one connection wrong inside one of the cabs

you only get phase issues when you drive two speakers

• Try positioning the cabinets so they face in different directions. One facing forwards, and one facing backwards. How do they sound now?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Yesterday I had the Chance to compare the Kemper-Kabinett with EVM 12L-Imprint to the original EVM installed in a 1x12" Mesa Boogie Thiele Cab.

The Kemper-Kabinett was rather convincing , since the Sound was nearly 100% identical.

The difference is the Efficiency of the Thiele-Cab, it sounded louder than the Kabinett.

Next month I'm goingt to try a Kemper-Kone in the Thiele-Cab, just to verify this Impression.

• Glad it worked out. I think you will be doing a lot of tweaking, because you'll be hearing things that weren't there before!

• Does it sound just louder... or also fuller. Ioudness can be compensate with a few decibels more on Kemper Kabinet or perhaps not. Thanks for answer and Best Regards

No, not fuller, just louder. I had expected fuller because of the bass-reflex-tunnel of the Thiele but I really would say: Just louder.

PS: … and I didn't activate the bass-boost-button in the Output-section

• Thanks for the answer... So does it sound "equall" the same when you raise the volume on Kemper Kabinet up and most important are you satisfied with the sound?

Sorry to bother you and thanks again?

• Still pity the poweramp is not stereo.

Always enjoyed a HS8 with sub HS8S in stereo at home and now switched to the kemper cabinet and sold the monitor set.

Really enjoying to play around and the sound of the cabinet, but once there is a Kemper stereo cabinet will go for that, pity is that i know already that won't work with the internal amp.

So stuck with a powered version, which is a waste for the poweramp version and could have used the profiler or the floor version.

Big sidenote:

At same time bit stupid expectation.

If there is one company that gives us for years more and more with the same machine it is Kemper and for free!

So guess have to go for a powered stereo Kemper cabinet once it is available and keep enjoying the ride!

• No, not fuller, just louder. I had expected fuller because of the bass-reflex-tunnel of the Thiele but I really would say: Just louder.

PS: … and I didn't activate the bass-boost-button in the Output-section

that’s interesting. I found that the EVM12L imprint in the Kabinet was very similar to my Mesa Thiele EVM12L cab but the Mesa was definitely fuller in the bottom end. I didn’t notice much difference in volume though.

• Glad it worked out. I think you will be doing a lot of tweaking, because you'll be hearing things that weren't there before!

Yes I already am!

Not too much though as the sound is close, I think its just a case of re-training my ears.

Ive played around with a few high gain profiles and I can see why there are issues for some. However in the 'monitor cab off disabled' mode I find the sweetening adjustment the perfect link between the FR and imprints.

For me the cleans in particular are just awesome.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• Today I received my TC Bam200 that I’m going to use as a power amp for the immediate future, so I installed the Kone in my Matrix NL12. After some gain staging adjustments, I think I got it set up to be as transparent as possible, taking the nature of it being a bass amp into consideration. I’m not overly enamoured with the Kone in the ported NL12 cabinet. The bass is quite flubby, comparing it to the sound through my Genelic near field and sub set up in the studio. I found that I much prefer the Kone as full range, rather than with the imprints. After all these years playing the KPA through regular guitar speakers, I’m finally digging FRFR. Who’d have thought it? I guess I’m the anti-Ingolf, haha!

I ordered a closed-back Peavy 1x12 to put the Kone in, to see if I like it better. The NL12 was more pleasing to me with the stock Chinese Celestion Neo, which it was obviously designed around. Update to follow, once I’ve received the Peavy...