Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• I'm got the kone and kemper power rack, really loving it so far. Only issue is delay and reverb aren't coming through the kone. I'm sure its a routing issue, but I'm not figuring it out. Any ideas?

• I got around to testing the Kone in the closed back Peavey 1x12 I bought cheap from Thomann (it came with some non-descript no name speaker that I swapped out). The difference between this cab and the matrix one is pretty big. I much prefer the Kone in this cab; the lows are much tighter and in general the sound is more immediate, for want of a better descriptor. I A/B’ed it with my studio monitors, a pair of old Genelec 1031a nearfields and 1094a (I think) subwoofer. It holds up well! The highs are ever so slightly more pronounced on the Kone, but that can be down to the positioning of my monitors compared to the cab in the room. Overall, I’m very happy, even if the Peavey enclosure is rather heavy compared to the NL12. When the Kabinet comes back in stock, I might be tempted to go for one.

• I made a long post a few pages back about my new DIY cab and the Celestion K12H-200TC speaker I decided to use instead of the Kone based on the price. It sounds amazing, dare I say it perfect to my ears. Well I couldnt resist and I found a cheaper source (for me here in Australia) for the Kone speaker so I pulled the trigger and bought one. Ill do an A/B when it gets here so I'll at least know if there really is any tangible difference between the two speakers. If it does indeed sound better than the K12H, Ill be shocked as I couldnt imagine the sound improving. The waiting begins.

• I got around to testing the Kone in the closed back Peavey 1x12 I bought cheap from Thomann (it came with some non-descript no name speaker that I swapped out). The difference between this cab and the matrix one is pretty big. I much prefer the Kone in this cab; the lows are much tighter and in general the sound is more immediate, for want of a better descriptor. I A/B’ed it with my studio monitors, a pair of old Genelec 1031a nearfields and 1094a (I think) subwoofer. It holds up well! The highs are ever so slightly more pronounced on the Kone, but that can be down to the positioning of my monitors compared to the cab in the room. Overall, I’m very happy, even if the Peavey enclosure is rather heavy compared to the NL12. When the Kabinet comes back in stock, I might be tempted to go for one.

I’ve ordered one too. I’ve seen you have the BAM 200. i’ll have exactly the same configuration.

So, how it sounds ? 8o:?:

Thx

• Good news, Thx.

I haven’t received the Peavey and the BAM yet, it’s gonna take two weeks before being at home. ;(

A quick note about the Peavey : the cabinet back can be very difficult to take off, as the glue from the tolex on mine had seeped into the join. I used a dinner knife to prise mine off with all the way around, before I was able to unscrew the original speaker. Just so you know :)

• For anyone else who may know, I started building this box as recommended by Celestion for the F12-X200. But now that the Kone is out, I'd like to go with it rather than the F12. I have completed only the outer walls of the box, however it is 18mm birch plywood. Very thick, very resonant.

Would it be best to just grab something like an empty Palmer 1x12 cabinet for the Kone, or would it be better to modify the construction of this box in some way? Celestion calls for a 4" port and polyester wadding to be stapled throughout the interior. The wadding would dampen the resonance a great deal, but I'm wondering if the port would be good or bad for the sound.

@evh0u812 - I think I may have found you on FB too, so this question is sort of a repeat. From earlier threads, your box looks just like mine but with no port and no wadding. So if it sounds good, I can probably assume mine will as well! Just don't want to finalize it until I'm sure.
    Thanks for any advice and ROCK ON!

• i would cut it down to the size of the Kemper Kabinett in depth

think the kemper is not as deep as the palmer

def do no port in the cab when you use the Kone

closed back as the Kemper Kabinett

• I tried the Kemper Kabinet. It’s not fully sealed there are small gaps at the top where the piping comes through. But not ported I’m building 3 clone Kabs right now. 2 from mdf like the Kab and one out of utralite plywood, but they will be airtight

• I tried the Kemper Kabinet. It’s not fully sealed there are small gaps at the top where the piping comes through. But not ported I’m building 3 clone Kabs right now. 2 from mdf like the Kab and one out of utralite plywood, but they will be airtight

Interesting. I'm going to take my Kabinet to a cab maker and get them to clone it with MDF. I'll be interested to compare results!