Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Hi,

I have a new Stage.

I was thinking about getting some FRFR, but now reconsider with getting 4 Kones and load them into a 4x12 cab by a known brand (Marshall/Mesa which I'll get second hand) or getting a custom cab built.

Sorry if it's already been asked (or if the questions are stupid), but I'm thinking:

1. Would you go with a known cab like Mesa or Marshall or get a custom one built? Why?
    The cab/box itself shouldn't color the sound, right?

2. Since I have a Stage, I need it to be powered? How is it done in the cab or add external poweramp?

3. I don't want the poweramp color the sound or be too expensive.. What would you recommend?

Thanks

• 1) Not convinced that there are any rules regarding cabinet. Kones were made to replace existing speakers in existing cabs. That being said, as usual there will be a difference between open/closed back.

2) Yes you need an amp. Popular choices are Camplifier, ISP, Seymour Duncan Powerstage, TC BAM 200 etc.

1. Would you go with a known cab like Mesa or Marshall or get a custom one built? Why?

The cab/box itself shouldn't color the sound, right?

The enclosure will always colour the sound to a degree. Internal dimensions, cabinet materials, damping and size always play a part in the final sound out of the box. Eddie Van Halen will even tell you that the grille material will make a difference!

2. Since I have a Stage, I need it to be powered? How is it done in the cab or add external poweramp?

3. I don't want the poweramp color the sound or be too expensive.. What would you recommend?

There are powered solutions where you could swap the speaker out, but I think that is a bit tricky, as most are two-way and you’d have crossovers and impedance mismatches to contend with. I’d go with external. I can recommend the TC Electronic Bam200 as an entry level, cheap solution that works great. Doubles as a half-decent bass amp, too.

• Thanks for the info. I'll keep researching..

How about stereo?

If I'm building a 4x12, is it a good idea to wire the cab stereo - 2 right speakers as the R (connect from the Kemper R output or monitor out) and the same with the two left speakers?

• Thanks for the info. I'll keep researching..

How about stereo?

If I'm building a 4x12, is it a good idea to wire the cab stereo - 2 right speakers as the R (connect from the Kemper R output or monitor out) and the same with the two left speakers?

I definitely want the stereo option, so any amp choice for me must be stereo.

• The reason I asked is that the Kone looks suspiciously close in spec/construction to the: K12H200TC

So I'd be curious to see their charts side by side, which apparently will be impossible!

This has been discussed previously and it's definitely not the same speaker. The wizzer cone is differently sized and the ohms are different if i recall. The size of the wizzer is directly relevant to how the dispersion characteristics have been designed.

There's nothing to say that the TC will sound bad and there are plenty of people here saying they've tried them but it will definitely not respond as Kemper intend the Kone to.

• Can someone verify the Kone is loaded from the back on the Kabinet ?

I made a couple of clone Kabinets I took the measurements off a Kabine t but can’t find one of the pages I wrote the particulars on. Also other then the staples how the piping is attached to the top

• Can someone verify the Kone is loaded from the back on the Kabinet ?

I made a couple of clone Kabinets I took the measurements off a Kabine t but can’t find one of the pages I wrote the particulars on. Also other then the staples how the piping is attached to the top

Go to about 1:30 here

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This has been discussed previously and it's definitely not the same speaker. The wizzer cone is differently sized and the ohms are different if i recall. The size of the wizzer is directly relevant to how the dispersion characteristics have been designed.

There's nothing to say that the TC will sound bad and there are plenty of people here saying they've tried them but it will definitely not respond as Kemper intend the Kone to.

Im running the K12H-200TC and its amazing. Ive actually just bought the Kone speaker to do a direct comparison, but Im expecting the results to be incredibly close if Im honnest. For Kemper to sell their own branded celestion speaker they would have to make some sort of change to a stock design as you see in the slightly smaller wizzer cone. I have no bias either way as Ive ponied up the cash for both speakers. Will be interesting to see when it arrives.

• I would not obsess too much about the dimensions of the Kabinet. I have used a Kemper Kabinet with my kemper and it sounded great. I then had Mojotone.com build me one of their 1-12 Lite cabinets (open back) and put a Kone in it. It sounds great. I’m convinced if a regular speaker sounds great in a cabinet, then a Kone will sound great in that same cabinet.