Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Hoping someone could help me out. I'd like to use two Kabinets for stereo (reverb and such) at bedroom levels. As far as Ice Power amps go, which would be best for that? I'd like to also have the option to just use one Kab. Should I pick up two Icepower 50ASX2BTL and basically have two amps, or the 200ASC+200AC combo?

• Hoping someone could help me out. I'd like to use two Kabinets for stereo (reverb and such) at bedroom levels. As far as Ice Power amps go, which would be best for that? I'd like to also have the option to just use one Kab. Should I pick up two Icepower 50ASX2BTL and basically have two amps, or the 200ASC+200AC combo?

if you're going to put both amps in the same cabinet I would go with the ASC/AC combo as it's designed to add the 2nd amp and supply power from one board to the other. Just my 2 cents.

• do the iec connectors need a power switch, or is the amp unpowered until the kemper is switched on? also where is your iec ground running to under the board? thanks. Mine arrives tomorrow :)

• ICEPower in an enclosed cabinet still has a thermal question.

If you are in your bedroom and would not mind a rack unit look at the Palmer Macht 402. It is around $420.00 U.S.

Yes one could DIY ICEPower modules for at least 1/2 the price.

• Technically a class D power amp consumes no wattage if there is no signal to amplify

The amplification stage is not engaged without something to amplify.

One could add a power switch (which is what I would do).

The reality is you could simply just plug in your power cord.

• ICEPower in an enclosed cabinet still has a thermal question.

If you are in your bedroom and would not mind a rack unit look at the Palmer Macht 402. It is around $420.00 U.S.

Yes one could DIY ICEPower modules for at least 1/2 the price.

i actually have the bam 200, im curious of any tone differences as the bam has eq and icepower doesnt. Also its one less box to hook up

• Most of the bass amps that utilize IcePower modules have fans. CK insists that their 250asx2 has been beaten on for hours at 4ohms with no fan and no thermal shutdowns. But, the PowerHead is vented so take that info however you want to.

Honestly, the IcePower modules are so small, it could fit into an enclosure and still tuck into the back of a KPA head for a clean install. Or, better yet, mount it like the Ritter amps. I really see no benefit to install it inside a cab/kab, why limit yourself?

• do the iec connectors need a power switch, or is the amp unpowered until the kemper is switched on? also where is your iec ground running to under the board? thanks. Mine arrives tomorrow :)

my IEC connector doesn't not have an on/off switch but you can use one. The ice power Amp does a graceful power up per the manual and does a self check. So I just plug mine in and watch the status leds change from startup to ready. The ground from outlet goes to the ground outlet that's in the very center of the power amp board. It's a hole in the board so you need a screw and grounding ring to solder/connect to.

• Stupid question time: Can I not use the Kemper Kone Imprints on my Kemper with Direct profiles? I've tried it and it doesn't seem to make any difference when I change the speaker imprint, etc. Nothing like when I try to use Studio or Merged profiles. Does there have to be a Cabinet section on the profile for it to work?

• if you're going to put both amps in the same cabinet I would go with the ASC/AC combo as it's designed to add the 2nd amp and supply power from one board to the other. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, I was thinking about trying to find a rackmount enclosure to put the amps in, but it would make things easier to just have one power supply. I just wasn't sure if the newer amps were any better, because I can deal with the hassle of having two amps.

• Thanks, I was thinking about trying to find a rackmount enclosure to put the amps in, but it would make things easier to just have one power supply. I just wasn't sure if the newer amps were any better, because I can deal with the hassle of having two amps.

Well, if you are a 19" rack guy like me why not just go with a Palmer Macht 402?

Yes, building your own power amp is of course fun and interesting to do.

Yes, having a powered cabinet is also a fun thing to do.

But if you already have a 19" rack and lug it to gigs then I would simply go with the Power Macht 402 (German made, $399.00 state side).

Dual channel 200 Watts per @ 4 Ohm.

Yes it has tone controls, but at zero they are de-activated.

If you are interested, in order to keep this thread clean perhaps one should start a new thread 'Power Macht 402, External Power'.

Or Search for 'external power'. There is another thread here talking about external power amps / sources.

And no, I do not work for Palmer or any retailer that sells them.

• im waiting for my cable kit to arrive from china, i notice you guys have a black wire looped in J4, but not mentioned above. What is that connection? Also is it preferred to have the input jack and AC socket a good distance from the circuit board? thanks