Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Right it is making at least some noise even with just the Camplifier connected to it when the Kemper is switched off and even unplugged.

It also makes a similar noise when plugged into my Orange 2x12 so I suspect the Camplifier, my power or a cable now.

I’ve not heard it as loud as it was before but there’s a noticeable presence of something when it’s just left on.

Or would it be normal for the speakers to make some sort of noise when the Camplifier is on and plugged into them?

Edited once, last by pedalo ().

• Hi All, I want to share the installation of an amplifier into the original Kemper Cabinet. I have changed the backplate with installation of a power connector and a on/off with besides line-in. I used an Anaview ALC0180-2300 with one channel (90W@4Ohm) and it sounds really great in comparison to a Palmer Macht external amplifier and is loud enough due to the amplifier efficiency. AND: The Cabinet itself seems to be optimized and fits much better to the Kone soundwise than an Kone in another box with different size and construction. Congrats to Kemper at this point. So, the Cabinet form factor is IMHO perfect. Unfortunately the the high quality Anaview isn't produced any more and ICEpower isn't available in single units -> Has anyone a tip for buying an AS1 for instance?

Dude. What an awesome build.

How much soldering was involved to get the power amp connected to the mains jack and the input socket? My shaky whisky hands aren’t too nimble with a big ole hot piece of iron lol

• I have a powerhead kpa. I’m thinking about putting two Kones in my Mesa vertical 2x12 cab.

Has anyone done this with a real and been happy with the results? Obviously the Mesa only gives me the UK V30 sound but curious if I’d like the cab as a converted FRFR cab.

Is it simply plug and play to install the Kones or is soldering involved? Is there any other parts I’d need to buy to install them?

• I have a powerhead kpa. I’m thinking about putting two Kones in my Mesa vertical 2x12 cab.

Has anyone done this with a real and been happy with the results? Obviously the Mesa only gives me the UK V30 sound but curious if I’d like the cab as a converted FRFR cab.

Is it simply plug and play to install the Kones or is soldering involved? Is there any other parts I’d need to buy to install them?

just like any other modern speaker, you can just slide the spade terminals on

• Usually the inputs will be connected to your existing speakers, so you only need to connect the other ends - not really the terminal of the input. ie, just swap the new speakers in for the old ones. I just did this a few days ago with 4 kones into an Orange 4x12.

To be honest, despite being louder (the Orange speakers were 16ohms), if you are a gain player, there are only one or two imprints that sound good in my opinion...and those took some EQ work. Most sound fizzy and thin even with the treble and presence knocked down. The imprints are nice and varied with clean sounds though.

I use Monitor Cab Off = On, Imprints = On, Rig Cab = Off. I find if I turn on Cabs in rigs, regardless of the monitor cab setting, the profile sounds like 5 blankets were thrown over it.

• paults ...yes I know. When I enable rig cabs, and this is only playing live through the powered head and an actual cabinet loaded with Kones (but was the same when I was using a regular cabinet) - I get a very flat sound like there's a blanket on the cabinet or something. I haven't yet been able to figure out how to EQ that out so I can get the benefit of the cab simulator. I want to use the cab simulations, I just haven't been able to make them sound good on high gain profiles.

• LoudNFeckless

Using a Merged or Studio Rig with a conventional guitar cabinet sounds dull because the guitar cabinet isn’t full range. You are hearing the Rig cab + the guitar cab.

To use Kones, you may need to flatten your Monitor Output EQ settings, if you have altered them to compensate for a guitar cabinet, and also start with Rigs that have not been EQ modified to suit your old cabinet.

Kone = On, Monitor Cab Off = Off puts the Kone in Full Range Mode. Christoph Kemper has recommended aiming the cabinet like a monitor, toward your face, to hear it in Full Range Mode.

Kone=On, Monitor Cab Off = On puts the Kone into Imprint Mode, and bypasses the Rig Cab module. That should give you optimum results with Studio and Merged Rigs that have not been previously EQed to compensate for a conventional cabinet.

• Do the icepower amps sound any better due to them having no EQ?I have a bam200 which is great but would love to hear opinion on those who have tried both, seeing as they seem fairly easy to install

I have both: Seymour Duncan PS170 (ICEPower) and TC BAM200. Unlike the PS170, BAM200 is tailored for bass guitar. With all controls at 12 o'clock it has a pronounced mid-range dip with boosted low and high end. To get something close to a flat response you need to set with Bass at 10 o'clock, Mid at 3:30 and High at 10 o'clock. That provides a response that's flat to +- 1db from 30 Hz. to 10 KHz. Also note that the BAM 200 has a lot more gain than a dedicated power amp. Set the Kemper monitor out at around -30 db and run BAM200 gain at around 10 o'clock. Set BAM volume to suit.

• I have both: Seymour Duncan PS170 (ICEPower) and TC BAM200. Unlike the PS170, BAM200 is tailored for bass guitar. With all controls at 12 o'clock it has a pronounced mid-range dip with boosted low and high end. To get something close to a flat response you need to set with Bass at 10 o'clock, Mid at 3:30 and High at 10 o'clock. That provides a response that's flat to +- 1db from 30 Hz. to 10 KHz. Also note that the BAM 200 has a lot more gain than a dedicated power amp. Set the Kemper monitor out at around -30 db and run BAM200 gain at around 10 o'clock. Set BAM volume to suit.

thats interesting, i did install an icepower 200 recently so was able to move my Bam200 on. I thought the icepower sounded a bit more closer to what things should be, but i didnt use your flat eq at the time for the bam. Either way great options to have at an affordable price

• I have both: Seymour Duncan PS170 (ICEPower) and TC BAM200. Unlike the PS170, BAM200 is tailored for bass guitar. With all controls at 12 o'clock it has a pronounced mid-range dip with boosted low and high end. To get something close to a flat response you need to set with Bass at 10 o'clock, Mid at 3:30 and High at 10 o'clock. That provides a response that's flat to +- 1db from 30 Hz. to 10 KHz. Also note that the BAM 200 has a lot more gain than a dedicated power amp. Set the Kemper monitor out at around -30 db and run BAM200 gain at around 10 o'clock. Set BAM volume to suit.

Interesting indeed. I got actually somewhat similar results when I compared CLR and Kabinet+BAM to each other. I'm curious how did you come up with the flat response settings for the BAM? Did you compare with the PS170 by ear or by measuring both or something else?