Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Interesting indeed. I got actually somewhat similar results when I compared CLR and Kabinet+BAM to each other. I'm curious how did you come up with the flat response settings for the BAM? Did you compare with the PS170 by ear or by measuring both or something else?

Measurement using REW. If you have access to the private forums there are graphs posted.

• What gauge speaker wire would be best for connecting Powerhead to Kabinet? Will be using 15’ so I can keep the toaster next to the computer and Kabinet on the other side of the room.

Thanks!

• Anyone replaced their speakers in a 2x12 cabinet with Kones? I have a Mesa 2x12 with v30's but just wondering since obviously every tone I use today is v30's in the Mesa.

Yes! I found an 80's ADA 2x12 vertical cab, the one with the fuzzy carpeting, junk speakers inside. My toaster fits perfect on top. I also have a marshall 4x12 with a X pattern of g12-65 and 75T's. For maybe $25 more each than the V30, I picked up a used pair of kones on reverb. I agree, 90% of the amps use V30's anyway. I just like options, in case I want to play some blues with fender type amps.

• Anyone replaced their speakers in a 2x12 cabinet with Kones? I have a Mesa 2x12 with v30's but just wondering since obviously every tone I use today is v30's in the Mesa.

I put two Kones in a Victory Cab that had two V30's in it. I like it. On heavy profiles the V30 setting usually sounds great. But on a lot of the clean settings it's my least favorite and changing the Kone selection improves the sound a lot. Worth the change in my opinion.

• I put two Kones in a Victory Cab that had two V30's in it. I like it. On heavy profiles the V30 setting usually sounds great. But on a lot of the clean settings it's my least favorite and changing the Kone selection improves the sound a lot. Worth the change in my opinion.

So you're talking about imprints? You still can't set it per profile can you? Do the Kones sound bad as an FRFR?

• So, I finally got my Kabinet and ended up going with the Bam200, but I'm not all that impressed with the sound. It doesn't sound like an amp to me, it just sounds the same as it always does, just loud, that is... a mic'd recorded cab. Maybe my settings aren't right, or are there only particular profiles this works well for?

In Output I have Kemper Kone enabled, Monitor Cab Off, the Master Ouput is set to Master Mono, but I've tried the others as well.

Is that how it's supposed to be set?

• So, I finally got my Kabinet and ended up going with the Bam200, but I'm not all that impressed with the sound. It doesn't sound like an amp to me, it just sounds the same as it always does, just loud, that is... a mic'd recorded cab. Maybe my settings aren't right, or are there only particular profiles this works well for?

In Output I have Kemper Kone enabled, Monitor Cab Off, the Master Ouput is set to Master Mono, but I've tried the others as well.

Have you tried changing imprints? You should hear significant differences.

• To use Kones, you may need to flatten your Monitor Output EQ settings, if you have altered them to compensate for a guitar cabinet, and also start with Rigs that have not been EQ modified to suit your old cabinet.

Kone = On, Monitor Cab Off = Off puts the Kone in Full Range Mode. Christoph Kemper has recommended aiming the cabinet like a monitor, toward your face, to hear it in Full Range Mode.

Kone=On, Monitor Cab Off = On puts the Kone into Imprint Mode, and bypasses the Rig Cab module. That should give you optimum results with Studio and Merged Rigs that have not been previously EQed to compensate for a conventional cabinet.

oncehuman- here’s a quote from Paul earlier in this thread.

I don’t have a Kone, but it sounds like monitor cab off is FRFR mode.

Monitor cab on is imprint mode

• oncehuman- here’s a quote from Paul earlier in this thread.

I don’t have a Kone, but it sounds like monitor cab off is FRFR mode.

Monitor cab on is imprint mode

My quote describes it like this:

Kone = On, Monitor Cab Off = ON puts the Kone in Full Range Mode.

Kone=On, Monitor Cab Off = OFF puts the Kone into Imprint Mode, and bypasses the Rig Cab module

• Yeah - you are listening to studio profiles through the Cab in FRFR mode. If you want to hear the imprints, "monitor cab" has to be on, the CAB button has to be illuminated and Kone mode has to be on.

PaulTS has quoted his own earlier posting of the correct settings.

• no ,defnitley has to be off

Kone has to be on , Monjitot Cab has to be off, only with that combination you are able to choose the different Imprints

Correct - button is actually labelled "Monitor Cab Off" - and it must be depressed (activated) for Imprints not to be greyed out. I knew that the relevant button had to be active but is actually labelled with the opposite of what I had in prev post. Oops.

Are you connecting via Monitor Output jack? That is the only output to which the Imprints apply. If you use the main outs you will just get the studio profile as you would send to the PA.

Be sure that you've adjusted the BAM200 tone controls.

• Played around with it a bit some more. I do have those set correctly, I think. I do have the option to change the different imprints, and I do hear a change when cycling through them. I have the monitor ouput going to the bam and bam to Kabinet. Most of the profiles I try sound pretty bad though. A few sound decent like Fischers Jazz Fux OD2 from the exchange (I think that's where I found it) with the EVM12L Blacklabel imprint sounds pretty decent, others sound very fizzy, or harsh. I have the Bam set to 12 o'clock on all the dials. Not sure what to do with gain and master. I have gain up a tiny bit otherwise there's no sound, and master a tiny bit, because otherwise it's extremely loud. I'm just using this setup for bedroom playing.