Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Wow. Now the powerstage 700 is back in the competition. Like I said earlier, if CK uses Icepower for his powered rack, the powerstage units fit exactly into the Kemper’s rig.

The Powerstage 700 comes with rack ears as well, at least mine did. Note that the inputs are on the front.

***EDIT*** I see that you have already noted that!

• I really like my Kabinet and Im going to get another one but...and you will hate me for this.....I do question your need for stereo.

I used to run stereo back in the 90's with my ADA and quadreverb....with my ping pong delays etc...but I realised that what sounds great one its own doesn;t necessarily cut it in a band mix....I kept getting lost when the band struck up.

I then went the opposite, bought Laney Gh100L...no effects ( it doesn;t even have reverb)...boom in your face. Cut through like a knife through butter and never sounded so good. On its own, dry as a nuns you-know-what but in a band...glorious. Also unless you replicate through the PA, seems a bit pointless to me.

Just recently my other guitarist tried stereo through the PA but quickly abandoned it as it didn;t sound much better and just added hassle of another channel etc.

As long as you are sure then your set up sounds like a great plan. If you forego stereo then you can get a powerrack which also means you can drive regular guitar cabs without carrying another amp. If ( as you mention) you are used to stereo then fair enough but just had to question it :). Obviously this is not a Kemper question but a general one. Kemper make sit easier to go stereo than a conventional guitar rig anyway.

Anyway, look forward to you getting it sorted.

• To add to that, I don't believe I ever plugged in my TC G Force aftet I bought my powered Kemper rack. I had the Kemper mounted in my rack so I could use it with my old gear, voodoo switcher, pedals etc. I could even switch between the Kemper and the Marshall on the fly, but eventually I mounted it in it's own 3u rack. The only outboard gear I run now is a wireless. I've pondered a stereo setup with my 4 Kones, but I think it would be a novelty for me more than anything else.

I can go stereo through my HS8's, the only time I could say it was essential to run stereo was when I was playing Vai's ballerina, the transposed delayed notes in mono coming out of one speaker was shrill, they needed their own speaker as to not step on each other if that makes sense. Can't imagine ever playing that song live though

• I've got a Kemper profiler stage and I'm considering to buy the Seymour Duncan powerstage 700 and one or two kabinets. I think of two kabinets not only due to stereo capabilities but mainly thinking of achieving more "punch" since 2x12 will sound "louder" than just 1x12. Am I right?

Seumour Duncan delivers 700 w, no problem with one kabinet to deal with it? And two kabinets daisychained?

Thanks in advanced and sorry for these naïve questions

• I've got a Kemper profiler stage and I'm considering to buy the Seymour Duncan powerstage 700 and one or two kabinets. I think of two kabinets not only due to stereo capabilities but mainly thinking of achieving more "punch" since 2x12 will sound "louder" than just 1x12. Am I right?

Seumour Duncan delivers 700 w, no problem with one kabinet to deal with it? And two kabinets daisychained?

The Seympor Duncan PS-700 is a stereo poweramp.

So it can drive two Kabinets independently, giving you a stereo option.

And yes, more is louder.

The PS700 is 700w per side at 4ohm, and 350w at 8ohm.

So, two Kabinets daisychained = 8ohm, therefore 350w

• Hi!

I'm looking for a kemper kabinet, but first I have a question.

Which is the best, buy a kemper kabinet, or buy a kemper kone and put it in a better quality cab like an orange ppc112?

Does the sound will be better in a better cab? I ask this question because the kabinet isn't like a real guitar cab

Thx for your help.

• The Seympor Duncan PS-700 is a stereo poweramp.

So it can drive two Kabinets independently, giving you a stereo option.

And yes, more is louder.

Thanks #Ingolf, just one question after reading an other kind comment from #dmatthews (by the way, big thanks to both of you): I understand that, as I imagined, 2x12 is louder and better than 1x12 to deal with crazy drummers ;), so two kabinets will probably be my choice, but... if the PS700 is 700w per side at 4ohm, and 350w at 8ohm, so two Kabinets daisychained = 8ohm, therefore 350w... how come is it louder than one single kabinet?

Again, thanks for your patience and support!

• it will sound different in different cabs/sizes. The kemper kab is actually MDF to keep it soundung neutral as possible

• Thanks #Ingolf, just one question after reading an other kind comment from #dmatthews (by the way, big thanks to both of you): I understand that, as I imagined, 2x12 is louder and better than 1x12 to deal with crazy drummers ;), so two kabinets will probably be my choice, but... if the PS700 is 700w per side at 4ohm, and 350w at 8ohm, so two Kabinets daisychained = 8ohm, therefore 350w... how come is it louder than one single kabinet?

The thing is, the PS 700 has got two outputs, therefore there is no need to daisychain.

• Great, that's awesome, after reading the kemper manual I thought both kabinets had to be daisychained, but obviously I was confused, if there's no need to do it, then I've made up my mind. Thanks #Ingolf

You can do a monitoring in stereo when you Monitor Out for Monitor Left and the Direct Out for Monitor Right.

This is selectable from the Output menu. ;)

• Thanks #Ingolf, just one question after reading an other kind comment from #dmatthews (by the way, big thanks to both of you): I understand that, as I imagined, 2x12 is louder and better than 1x12 to deal with crazy drummers ;), so two kabinets will probably be my choice, but... if the PS700 is 700w per side at 4ohm, and 350w at 8ohm, so two Kabinets daisychained = 8ohm, therefore 350w... how come is it louder than one single kabinet?

PS700 is 700w at 4ohms per side (stereo).

Two Kabinets on one side (mono) in series would be 350w at 8ohm.

One Kabinet on each side (stereo) would be 700w at 4ohm each

• You can do a monitoring in stereo when you Monitor Out for Monitor Left and the Direct Out for Monitor Right.

This is selectable from the Output menu. ;)

I've seen this comment some other time but I don't understand it since the profiler stage has Main Outputs L/R, Monitor L/R and Main L/R (besides SPDIF, Send /Return, etc). What do you mean with "DIRECT OUT"?

• I've seen this comment some other time but I don't understand it since the profiler stage has Main Outputs L/R, Monitor L/R and Main L/R (besides SPDIF, Send /Return, etc). What do you mean with "DIRECT OUT"?

Ah, the classical Profilers have the Direct Out as Monitor R, on the Stage it's named Monitor L/R. ;)

• The thing is, the PS 700 has got two outputs, therefore there is no need to daisychain.

Those two outputs are most likely parallel, though, which would result in a 2 ohm load if two Kabs are connected. Daisy-chaining the Kabinets with their output jacks results in a series connection and an eight ohm load.

• Those two outputs are most likely parallel, though, which would result in a 2 ohm load if two Kabs are connected. Daisy-chaining the Kabinets with their output jacks results in a series connection and an eight ohm load.

It's a stereo amp, so the two outputs are separated L/R. The only thing common is the single volume control.

***EDIT*** And the EQ

• It's a stereo amp, so the two outputs are separated L/R. The only thing common is the single volume control.

***EDIT*** And the EQ

So, since the two outputs are separated in the seymour duncan powerstage 700, there's no need to daisychain both Kabinets and the result would be 4 ohm each and... 350 w each one? Or 700 w each one?

And the setup could be:

Guitar into input Kemper Profiler Stage (KPS)

From Monitor L/R of the KPS to the inputs L/R of the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 (SDP700)

From SDP700 L Speaker Output to Kabinet 1

From SDP700 R Speaker Output to Kabinet 2 (not daisychain at all between Kabinets)

+From Main Outputs L/R XLR of the KPS to PA or FOH

Output in KPS set to Master Stereo for both Main Output and Monitor Output.

Do you think it's ok?

Thanks!

• It will sound different, not necessarily better. Ive been really happy with the Kabinet ( its shockingly small and light), thumps the sound out.

I've just bought another one so I can daisychain it....for no other reason that I'd like the look of 2 of them...