Kone & Kabinet Q&A

• Update to the above: it seems to all work and sound as it should when I change the Monitor Output EQ to something like +0,9 bass, + 2,0 middle, -3.4 treble and -2.1 presence, with bass boost off and directivity at 0.

With these settings, in FRFR mode while having the Kemper Kone on & Mon Cab off in the output section I create similar tones from the Kabinet vs my studio monitors. The imprints are also sounding good now.

So, as far as I can see, the DSP that is activated by enabling the Kemper Kone in the profiler is having quite an effect on the EQ of the signal (would that be to be able to adequately represent the imprints?), but anyways it seems my problem seems to be resolved :)

Kemper PowerHead, Remote & Kabinet | Fender Claro Walnut CS Telecaster 2016, Fender EJ Stratocaster 2007, Brian Moore CS 1992, Tom Anderson CS 1993, Eastman T59-V 2022, Peerless 2010, Ibanez RG770 1992, Taylor 214-KCE 2015 | Fender Princeton Reissue, Marshall JCM500 50W, Fender HotRod Deluxe, Blackstar HT-1

• Have you had a fool around with the Directivity and the Bass Boost parameters when you have cabinet off enabled?

Guitar speakers - regular ones and the Kone - beam treble. You usually listen to them off axis so that they are not so bright but if you listen to them square on axis (ie listen from a position right in front of the speaker centre) - as you might for a studio monitor - you get an excessively bright sound unlike the sound you would hear with your cab on the stage/floor and off to one side. Sound familiar?

The directivity control allows you to compensate for this.

• When I do a comparison of the Kabinet in FRFR mode with the Main output to my KRK studio monitors, the sounds are absolutely not identical or even close (kabinet is much more treble / presence with same output EQs for both channels. If I use the imprints, the similar treble / presence is there (too high).

have you checked your KRK against another sound source. Maybe your baseline is skewed if your KRK tweeters are damaged or you have a hi roll-off active. If you get used to something like this then normality can sound weird. I used to have a set of JBL monitors and I blew a tweeter in one. Didn't realise at the time (thought my ears were knackered)

and used it like that for so long that I pretty much got used to it ??‍♂️

• I did play around with the directivity to get the treble down and actually also using the Kabinet off axis as well.

re my KRK monitors, checked against several other sources, all perfect so that seems not the problem.

Unless someone tells me that it is really strange that I had to adapt my Monitor Output EQ like mentioned above, I have seemed to find a workable solution.

thanks for the support.

Roger

Kemper PowerHead, Remote & Kabinet | Fender Claro Walnut CS Telecaster 2016, Fender EJ Stratocaster 2007, Brian Moore CS 1992, Tom Anderson CS 1993, Eastman T59-V 2022, Peerless 2010, Ibanez RG770 1992, Taylor 214-KCE 2015 | Fender Princeton Reissue, Marshall JCM500 50W, Fender HotRod Deluxe, Blackstar HT-1

• re my KRK monitors, checked against several other sources, all perfect so that seems not the problem.

glad to hear that. ?

Unless someone tells me that it is really strange that I had to adapt my Monitor Output EQ like mentioned above, I have seemed to find a workable solution.

I don’t touch the monitor EQ on mine at all and it sounds great so something sounds a little off here. However, as long as you have a workable solution that’s probably all that matters.

• glad to hear that. ?

I don’t touch the monitor EQ on mine at all and it sounds great so something sounds a little off here. However, as long as you have a workable solution that’s probably all that matters.

Yeah probably, checked all types of cables etc etc, seems all fine, but in the end all that matters is that the sound quality is as expected which it seems to be (probably will keep on looking forever until I give up though :)).

Thanks!

• Not sure I understand.

The powered Kabinet has only one input, and no output.

The regular unpowered Kabinet has a series output you can connect another unpowered Kabinet to.

No output on the powered Kab.

Whoops, my bad, thanks for the clarification. I must have been looking at a picture of an unpowered Kab.

• Yeah probably, checked all types of cables etc etc, seems all fine, but in the end all that matters is that the sound quality is as expected which it seems to be (probably will keep on looking forever until I give up though :)).

Thanks!

glad to hear that. ?

Hi guys,

Thought I would give a quick update how everything evolved after previously asking for your help in getting a solution for my issue that I described a few posts above.

Long story short: my workaround did serve me well (difference EQ settings monitor / main out) for quite a while, until the moment that I decided to complete re-arrange my room 2 months ago, making overall big improvements on the placement of the studio monitors & my Kemper kabinet ...

By doing that (and getting rid of a few small sound influencing), all my previously described issues basically disappeared completely: my EQs for main out & monitor out are now both all 0, good profiles sound great (bad ones still sound bad as well 8o), the Kemper Kone works flawlessly with all the different imprints.

Never thought that re-arranging my room (towards completely aligned middle) makes such a hell of a difference. One other factor that most definitely also helped for me is that I took a few courses in producing, mixing and mastering music last last year, which massively improved my abilities to hear things much better (and btw also made me a better guitar player as a bonus ;)).

Maybe someone else struggles now or in the future and may find this useful.

• Never thought that re-arranging my room (towards completely aligned middle) makes such a hell of a difference.

Thanks for updating us. Glad to hear things are working out for you 😎

I keep telling people that room might be their problem but very few seem to believe me. Unless you are using headphones the room is one of the most important factors in the over all equation. Most people could get better results and save thousands of pounds by dealing with room layout and some relatively simple treatment than buying better gear.

• Thanks for updating us. Glad to hear things are working out for you 😎

I keep telling people that room might be their problem but very few seem to believe me. Unless you are using headphones the room is one of the most important factors in the over all equation. Most people could get better results and save thousands of pounds by dealing with room layout and some relatively simple treatment than buying better gear.

I never doubted you Alan :)....but wow that it makes that much difference? I agree that not many people realize this!

• Hey Gang: I could use your help too. Here's my gigging rig setup:

LP > Kemper Stage [MBritt 68 Marshall] > mon. out to SD Powerstage 700 > two Kemper Kones in stereo.

FOH gets the sound straight from the Stage. I have my monitor out set to Cab Off, Kones On, Imprint as a Greenback, and directivity at 2.3. I also notice an ever-present fizzy high end. It's far more noticable when I'm gunning it for Classic Rock stuff, but it's still a little present when the guitar volume is rolled back. I also notice it when I'm just running the MBritt speaker that's in the profile. I have the monitor EQ set flat.

This fizzy thing seems to be an issue i'm seeing on this thread, though I confess i've not read all 93 pages :). What solutions have you worked up? Also, is it just inherent in the speaker? maybe i'm just not jiving with the Kones?

• Cool. I will give the Monitor EQ a try. I also have a three band on the face of the Powerstage 700, but I see that as like gross emergency adjustment.

Is the fizz on any other profiles? I don;t eq any fizz or artifacts out of anything - not necessary...which suggests there is another problem.

Do you get the same issue with Headphones?