Do i have a defective Celestion F12X200? (SOLVED)

• Well, guys, just got it a F12X200 to use on my unpowered kemper using the brand new EHX 5MM (2.5W) as Power Amp to enjoy only at home at first, i really don't need that much power at all.

superb speaker it really have that feel of a "amp in the room" with IRs .. i just tweak some profiles and sounds HUGE on my cab, i really liked.

setting the volume at like .. 8 o'clock, no issues.

starting at 9 o'clock the speaker start to buzz.. and rattle.. it's annoying, it becomes most evident on low E and low A strings.

on other strings

it is more subtle, but it is very evident from 12 o'clock.

I called the re-seller warranty here, but it's strange, I don't think this is normal for a brand new speaker to have problems like this

at first I thought it was the cab vibrating or something, but I even turned the speaker off the cab and turn on outside and the buzz remains ...

I thought it might be some configuration on the kemper, so I connected the guitar on the power directly to the speaker too ... buzz and rattles remains the same

has anyone been through something similar?

• Are you sending too much signal into the EHX Power Amp, and causing the EHX to distort? It is likely designed for a Guitar-level input signal, not a Line Level signal.

The EHX website says " turn it up for some gnarly grind, or really crank it and get bathed in distortion!”

well i tried both aways.. kemper into the input of the 5MM.. and sending out to F12X200, and just plug-in the guitar straight to the input of 5 MM sending out to F12X200.. the annoying buzz appears.

the 5MM has really a "poweramp" distortion from 12 o'clock as far as I know, but that buzz and rattling happens just before that, on the speaker itself.

• Is that a home built cabinet ? Is there something loose in it ?

Hanging wires ? Loose screws ? Is the cab built with specification

for the speaker ? ( Vas )

Just brainstorming here :/

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Hi, yes, it is a homemade cab that I am modifying for this speaker, there are no wires or anything loose inside, I already tightened screws inside .. even the speaker outside the cab this buzz is noticeable..

• It sounds like the amp is distorting. A bad speaker should buzz at any volume.

Not necessarily . Depends on where the issue is located ...

Outer edge of magnet and high volume = long throw of coil = Buzz .

Outer edge of magnet and low volume = short throw of coil = No buzz.

Just one example of many ......

But as Muddy suggest : try with another speaker :)

Cheers !

• The buzzing sounds like it comes straight from the voice coil, not around the edges .. or something like that, you know?.

• Yeah , that´s what I meant ; the edges of the magnet ( and voice coil ) in center of speaker.

At the edges of the speaker it´s just "rubber" suspension , no buzz there if the "rubber"

is intact and fresh ( not dry and cracked )

But the speaker is new , is´nt it :/

Warranty ?

Cheers !

• that's right, it's brand new ...

I activated the reseller warranty ... but I'm still trying to find out if there is another hypothesis besides a manufacturing defect or something.

he told me that he will test an EHX Magnum 44 with the X200 to see if there is anything related to the sensitivity of the speaker.

is there anything related to the speaker's sensitivity to the power amp itself?

• Ohm is a factor , but mostly for the wellness of the amp ; too low Ohm

and the amp "thinks" there´s a short circuit in the speaker ( that can

happen if coil get burn and get stuck to the magnet ) and then nasty

expensive things can happen to the amp ......

But your speaker is 8 or 16 Ohm´s i guess, so no worries bout that :)

And not a reason for that buzz ......

Cheers !

• well, that's it so, the speaker is 8 Ω and the Power Amp is ranging 8 ~ 16 Ω ..

i don't see a logical reason for all that either ..

(EDIT)

Well, in the end it was really the power amp, the 5MM was really distorting the speaker, which i would not indicate to power an FRLR speaker.

i just got an second hand Alesis RA-100 and there is simply no more buzzing, loud and clear and transparent !. I'm loving.

thanks for the opinions

see ya