New effects coming with new software after NAMM 2020

• It does nothing to correct specific problem frequencies in a monitor.

True enough. I do agree that having HP and LP filters on outputs is a really nice feature to have though.

Your use case is more like a feedback destroyer though. All these devices do is locate a spike in the frequency that swells and put a very small Q PEQ on it with a big dip in gain which is very frequency specific.

For a guitar output, there shouldn't be any feedback in the monitor unless you are running a microphone into the aux of the Kemper. Then you could get a feedback loop between the mic and the monitor.

Most of us actually like it when the guitar notes "sing" or "feedback".

Strange use case. Can you explain?

FWIW, I think a nice 4 band PEQ with a HP and LP filter would be ideal for very experienced users. For everyone else, simple graphic eq is usually better as it is much easier to understand.

• Really looking forward to the Acoustic Simulator. I eventually managed to do a profile of my own Boss pedal. It really confused the profiling procedure. ?

I am sure the forthcoming Kemper one will be much better. Although, once I got there, the one I did myself actually came out ok for the little I need it for live.

Got one of our old songs back in the set soon that features a lot of acoustic on the intro so will be great to have the new one when released. ?

• Your use case is more like a feedback destroyer though. All these devices do is locate a spike in the frequency that swells and put a very small Q PEQ on it with a big dip in gain which is very frequency specific.

Strange use case. Can you explain?

No, nothing about feedback.

As someone mentioned previously, most FR speakers are not even though they claim to be.

QSC K10s are notorious for having low mid mud at ~700Hz which needs to be cut by 3 db.

I'm sure other brands have their own idiosyncratic frequencies.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Right, but I need to be able to pinpoint the frequency to raise or lower.
    LP and HP....why bother? Useless.

Saves using a slot for those that want to clean up the bass or tame high end either pre or post! Really useful :)

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Saves using a slot for those that want to clean up the bass or tame high end either pre or post! Really useful :)

It would save a slot for those that need to fix the problem frequencies in any number of FR cabinets! Incredibly useful. :);)

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I am pretty excited after learning that that a stereo widener and phase widener are in the pipeline for the Kemper after being demoed at NAMM.

Question is, will combining these two effects be similar to having an ADT effect?

My own gut feeling is that it will sound awesome in stereo, but won't be replacing a Mimiq or Deco.

Why? Well, I think what's crucial to the whole ADT methodology is that the values of the pitch shift and the delay are constantly being modulated.

In the case of these FX, I'm guessing that the values will be fixed (unless you use a morph pedal to keep changing them).

• Really interested to hear the Phase Widener. For live it will be great because CK suggests it is mono compatible and you never know when your stereo signal is not translating correctly through the PA. I know there have been requests for a Mimiq type effect, so maybe it is his take on that?

Both Delay Widener and Auto Swell have been possible with existing effects, but a simpler way to achieve it is welcome.

How?

• I’m sure that it will be built in, if it’s crucial.

As an aside, I haven’t heard any demos of the Mimiq where it doesn’t sound either obviously delayed or phasey. Really not my cup of tea. I’m interested to hear the Phase Widener, as it is completely mono compatible, according to Mr Kemper.

• I’m sure that it will be built in, if it’s crucial.

As an aside, I haven’t heard any demos of the Mimiq where it doesn’t sound either obviously delayed or phasey. Really not my cup of tea. I’m interested to hear the Phase Widener, as it is completely mono compatible, according to Mr Kemper.

Most of the demos of the Mimiq are into a single amp, rather than two amps, which is why it sounds phasey. Feed it into two separate amps and the phase issues disappear.

This effect is clearly a stereo widener, as labelled, and I too am curious what a phase widener is. But like I said, is it supposed to be an ADT effect? They may be two completely different things.

When Mr CK says it is mono compatible, I don't see the effect as having any impact when the signal is mono. It is a stereo widener, so the effect is intended to only be in stereo. Mono compatible just means that if you run a single output from mono output or whatever, the signal will not be cancelled out or go out of phase. But there obviously won't be any widening in mono.

• How?

Use Dual Delay in the x slot. Set effect to 100% wet and delays to 0ms 0 feedback. The look for the Input Swell setting (mine is set to 50%). It is a work around, but does the job for now:-)

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• When Mr CK says it is mono compatible, I don't see the effect as having any impact when the signal is mono. It is a stereo widener, so the effect is intended to only be in stereo. Mono compatible just means that if you run a single output from mono output or whatever, the signal will not be cancelled out or go out of phase. But there obviously won't be any widening in mono.

Exactly. That’s the scenario I find interesting. Being able to run mono into a cabinet/Kabinet onstage, yet through the widener via FoH with no compromising either of them.