What I assume to be simple questions

• I really want to use my Kemper powered rack in a live situation but without a couple of simple things I won’t be able to. I normally play thru a Mesa triple rec. The Kemper sound has really impressed me. I am not super technical and read lots of comments on how intuitive the Kemper is so I spent the money and also bought the remote. I have read manuals and watched tutorials and still haven’t found the answers to the following stupid questions. how do I make the tuner go into silent mode? Is there a standby switch for changing guitars? I have finally grasped the set up one song in a performance aspect because at first I was attempting to set all my sounds up in one performance for the night. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to add a switchable effect. I can add one always on but I wish someone could tell me how to set it up so the remote could toggle it on and off. Some of the rigs I have found allow it for this function further confusing me.

Like I said these questions are probably simple. If there is a direction someone could point me in I would appreciate it.

• From the Manual:

The Volume Pedal is a dedicated volume, separate from Rig volume, Master Volume, or any other output volume. All these volumes are working on top of each other

When you turn the volume all the way to zero with the Volume Pedal, Tuner Mode will appear in the display.

This means you can now tune your guitar on stage, without the need for a dedicated TUNER button! If you should accidentally unplug the pedal when volume is still at zero, Tuner Mode provides a soft button to reset the volume to maximum.

• I can’t for the life of me figure out how to add a switchable effect. I can add one always on but I wish someone could tell me how to set it up so the remote could toggle it on and off.

press one of the 4 effect buttons on the remote.

hold it.

press the effect button on the kemper.

done.

• Welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper :thumbup:8)

how do I make the tuner go into silent mode?

Choose the Tuner mode with the chickenhead knob. The left soft button above the display should allow you now to choose "Mute Signal". Press the button to check the box. Done.

I use this setting also to change guitars. Works fine for me :)

• Well I knew the answers were going to be simple. Can’t believe I couldn’t figure it out on my own. Thanks for the help everyone. If I can figure out an effect to work for Lonely boy intro I will give it a shot tonight. Practice has been a lot of fun with it.

• Dude, I would also think about 1 song per performance. I know many do this but I think its overkill. You have 5 slots for different amps, and 8 effects for each slot PLUS morph. Morph allows you to change parameters within the effects or amp.

This effectively gives you 10 slots per performance. To action morph, you just switch the same button on the remote. For example I have my main ryhtm in slot 3. If I want a small amount of boost ( for riffs for example) I have morph set to increase a bit of volume, gain and treble. I then in slot three I hit the button again for that boost.

Works really well...check morph out if you haven;t yet. It might save you from the 1 performance per song which I think carries a large management overhead. I use 3 performances across 2 bands ( 60+ songs). 1 performance for 1 band and 2 for the other purely because I have big contrasts in the 2 guitars ( Les Paul vs Gretsch) I use, so 1 slot for each guitar.

• Well I knew the answers were going to be simple. Can’t believe I couldn’t figure it out on my own. Thanks for the help everyone. If I can figure out an effect to work for Lonely boy intro I will give it a shot tonight. Practice has been a lot of fun with it.

try either the Pedal Pitch or the Pedal Vinyl Stop effects.

for the second guitar that comes in, try the Recti Shaper in front of an amp, it gives you that nice, fuzzy octave up effect.

If its Lonely boy by the black keys, obviously the main effect is the pitch drop for the intro. Having played that before, I used to dump the note down 6 octaves ( I think) to get that drop to a "blugh" sound.. I did that with the pedal pitch as mentioned by Don, using an expression pedal so it operates just like a whammy..

• Thank you all for the excellent suggestions and help. Coming from a valve amp and stomps this thing is something else.

I think most of us have come that route so makes sense.

My only other suggestions are :

• Just because you can doesn't mean you should - you can have 20 sounds for each song, but do you really need them? I try to still keep it simple and treat each sound as a channel on an amp, albeit I have a 10 channel amp now rather than a 3 channel.
    • Profile/sound paralysis - because you have so much variation, I got stuck in trying all profiles and variables, including IR's. In reality 80% (and I've scientifically checked that value :) ) of your sound is from your fingers. Therefore don't get lost in the eternal search for the ultimate tone and forget to play the damn thing. Use it to springboard your creativity only...
  • I think most of us have come that route so makes sense.

My only other suggestions are :

• Just because you can doesn't mean you should - you can have 20 sounds for each song, but do you really need them? I try to still keep it simple and treat each sound as a channel on an amp, albeit I have a 10 channel amp now rather than a 3 channel.
    • Profile/sound paralysis - because you have so much variation, I got stuck in trying all profiles and variables, including IR's. In reality 80% (and I've scientifically checked that value :) ) of your sound is from your fingers. Therefore don't get lost in the eternal search for the ultimate tone and forget to play the damn thing. Use it to springboard your creativity only...

great advice

• When I got the Kemper. Well actually when I ordered it and it was on it's way. I watched all of the videos Kemper made. you can find them at the main Kemper site or on YouTube.Then I downloaded the manual and read through that, Then I came here for more great info. After about a week or two I had a pretty good handle on it and was showing someone else that had one for over a year some tricks. There's just a learning curve to relearn something totally new. But there are many aspects that are exactly like a tube amp. Everything is just named differently. Have fun!