Greetings from Oregon, and two Fuchs profiles

• Howdy All,
    The User Name 5SG refers to Five Star Guitars, the store I work
    at. It's a small brick-and-mortar shop in Hillsboro, Oregon, and we just became
    a Kemper dealer.

I got a chance to borrow a Miktek CV4 microphone,
    so after my last gig I took home the KPA for a little "R&D" and
    profiled my two live settings from that gig.

It's a Fuchs BlackJack 21 mkii head, and I used the CV4
    close to the grill with a little bit of Audix i5 at 6 in. mixed in. The cab is a
    small 1x12 with an Eminence Cannabis Rex, and sits inside a home-made isolation box.

The profiles are up on the rig exchange.

Here's a pic of the amp settings:

[Blocked Image: http://www.FiveStarGuitars.com/Img/JM20120430BJ21.JPG]

• You know - this is unbelievable. Guys like you - get a Kemper, play through a HQ tube amp that many people never get a hand on, take it home, profile it, document the settings (LOVE that! - and wish more profile happy people would do that too!) say "hello" and share the profiles.

Must be an alternate reality!

TY and welcome.
    Hendrik

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and kind words. This is the first forum I've participated in, primarily because of the positive vibe here. Glad some people have enjoyed the profiles. I definitely want to get better at creating them...
    I LOVE my BlackJack, and IMHO that amp is a 5-star amp, but I noticed the voting/rating my profiles got were more like 3-4 stars...which means I need to get better at profiling.
    I would love to submit a profile that others enjoy as much as I enjoy this amp. Every gig I've played since I got it, I've had someone come up and tell me they were blown away by my tone (I always hope they're going be blown away by my charm and good looks, but I think that ship has sailed). I would love to make a profile that gives others that same experience.
    So if anyone has suggestions for how to make the profiles better: amp settings, mics (i have an i5, 3 SM57's, PG52, and two Studio Projects C1's, and am borrowing a friend's e609 for a few days), mic positions (I can blend/mix up to 4 at the same time), or speakers (I have a generic Jensen, a few British V30's, and two Cannabis Rex).
    This is a great user community, and I'd like to contribute something of value to it.

• Welcome to the forum 5sg and thanks for sharing!
    Don't worry if others don't give a 5 rating. Just like real amps people have different taste and oppinions.
    Even if someone have a 100% perfect profile of their rig that sounds spot on, others might like that sound, or the complete opposite. So the rating doesn't have to be about how well it was profiled.
    Have fun playing and keep em coming.
    Cheers!
    :thumbup:

• Really liked your profile. I've just done some housekeeping and put 178 keeper profiles (only about 20 of these are Kemper ones) on to a memory stick and have cleared out all my 1000 odd profiles (by hand), leaving only Armin's 57 Deluxe ones which I bought in Jan. I then downloaded a few of my own profiles from Rig Exchange and a couple of new ones, one of your Fuchs' and one of the 62 Bluesbreaker. Both are 5 star sounds. I'm going to try and discipline myself to limit myself to 50 rigs on the KPA.

One weird thing I found. What prompted me to do my housekeeping was I was convinced there was a corrupt rig somewhere as the sound of some rigs would sometimes go crap, 'metallic and boxy' to reuse a phrase used in a thread in January. I also noticed that on my rig 'Deluxe Cranky' whenever I selected it there would be this ripple of static in the sound. That certainly wasn't there for the month after I'd profiled it. I downloaded the version I'd put on rig exchange and no static.

Don't worry about star ratings. I've got a one star for my overdriven showman! Really difficult speaker to profile. Utah 4x12 in a pyramid configuration. Need to record it about 18 inches away but I figured that would be no good for KPA so I tried close to the grill. Probably need to take the grill off and close mic one of the individual speakers.

I'm going to have a four hour session profiling in a local recording studio tonight and hopefully will come out with some good profiles of a couple of my old amps and some useful tips on refining. One thing I've picked up from and44 is to make sure you're still playing when you press 'finish'. I've done the opposite and let the note die out before doing this.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and kind words. This is the first forum I've participated in, primarily because of the positive vibe here. Glad some people have enjoyed the profiles. I definitely want to get better at creating them...
    I LOVE my BlackJack, and IMHO that amp is a 5-star amp, but I noticed the voting/rating my profiles got were more like 3-4 stars...which means I need to get better at profiling.

I don't think you should worry - a lot of the files people rave about and give high stars leave me kind of cold....lots and lots of high gain stuff that to me sounds like the 50 profiles I just deleted. So far I just have profiled one amp and it got 3 stars. I think, and to my ears it sounds just like the amp itself. It is a very dry profile ie no post adding of reverb, delay etc etc which lots of profiles seem to do. Other people will add a different cab as well, and these are the profiles that seem to get the plaudits.

I do think there are best ways to profile and until I learn these I won't be selling any amps, but getting 5 stars won't be part of the decision process. As HK said the stars isn't about the profiling itself - we have no idea what the amp sounds like 99% of the time. And when people start putting drives in front or in the loop it becomes even less about the amp itself.

I have also wondered if people are totally honest in what they say regarding the amps. I think this is a good forum, but as it grows I wonder if we'll get people playing the forum fame game and being creative with their descriptions in the rig exchange. For example I have 2 Trainwreck type amps here, a Komet and a Red Iron Trex. I bet I can find real Trainwreck clips somewhere and get one of my amps to within 95%. Now, if I was to say it was a real 'wreck and I'd had chance to spend time with it, only a very few people would be able to question that. And, I'm sure no one would be able to say it doesn't sound like a Trainwreck. And, I'm sure it would get more downloads and stars than if it was labelled just a clone. A bit of an extreme example maybe but you get my point....

Btw one of the amps I have to profile is a Lucky 7 - the little brother of your Blackjack! Great amps....

• Great points, guys.
    professortweed - Thanks for the note about what and44 does. I've been trying to read as many of his posts as possible 'cause he seems to have the profiling process dialed in. Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

eatapeach - Can't wait to check out your Lucky 7 profile! I got to play one of the first Lucky 7's in a store once, and it's what drove me to pick a BlackJack 21! I think the clean profile I did actually mimics that shop's Lucky 7 pretty well - a single channel "clean" amp that gets mean when you push it. Crank the "gain" on my BJ21 clean profile and let me know if it's in the ballpark of your Lucky 7. :thumbup:

Now I'm curious!
    -j