Powering the new Kemper Kone speaker with RITTER Camplifier / GBA products

• I've ordered my camplifier studio this morning, hopefully should be ordering my Kabinet within the month.

I did have a reply from Tilman on a question I asked via the website though regarding the wattage output vs the ohm rating as usually the wattage seems to go up as the ohms go down, yet the camplifier studio has the 4 ohm wattage as between the 8 and 16 ohm wattage;

Most traditional solid state amplifiers (running transistors or Mosfets as power devices) will put out about double the power when the impedance value halves (if they are specified to handle such low impedance).

The Camplifier Studio however does not operate the same way. It runs from a single class D chip.

At low impedance's, internal currents get higher much faster, temperatures will rise faster and the chip will go into self protection mode (because of over current , or over temperature) faster than with higher impedance's.

That is why it is rated lower in output power @ 4 ohms than 8 ohs.

I thought the answer was quite interesting so I thought I'd share if anyone else was curious

• I've ordered my camplifier studio this morning, hopefully should be ordering my Kabinet within the month.

I did have a reply from Tilman on a question I asked via the website though regarding the wattage output vs the ohm rating as usually the wattage seems to go up as the ohms go down, yet the camplifier studio has the 4 ohm wattage as between the 8 and 16 ohm wattage;

I thought the answer was quite interesting so I thought I'd share if anyone else was curious

Glad you asked, I thought it was a misprint.

• My Camplifier SHP arrived yesterday afternoon, just a week after ordering.

Given the current global situation including a 2 day bank holiday in between, from Germany to the UK I'd say that's excellent service from Tilman at Ritter.

I just wish my Kabinet was here so I can try it out.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• Hi Tilman,

I purchased your S2 model several years ago and have used it off and on (mostly at rehearsals) with no problems. However, I just received a Kemper Kone, installed it in a spare 1x12 cab and am having an issue with the Camplifier. When I crank the volume up on the Camplifier (approx 50% or higher), the speaker signal intermittently cuts out. The same thing happens when I hit the strings a little harder than normal or switch to a louder profile. I checked all connections, to speakers, cables, etc. and all are good. The global noise gate is off. When I substitute in another amp, the issue disappears so it is definitely related to the Camplifier. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Hi Tilman,

I purchased your S2 model several years ago and have used it off and on (mostly at rehearsals) with no problems. However, I just received a Kemper Kone, installed it in a spare 1x12 cab and am having an issue with the Camplifier. When I crank the volume up on the Camplifier (approx 50% or higher), the speaker signal intermittently cuts out. The same thing happens when I hit the strings a little harder than normal or switch to a louder profile. I checked all connections, to speakers, cables, etc. and all are good. The global noise gate is off. When I substitute in another amp, the issue disappears so it is definitely related to the Camplifier. Any suggestions? Thanks.

What is the impedance of the cab you were using before?

• Yeah, I thought I would post here first as this is Tilman's thread and he owns Ritter. Thx.

I thank that older versions of Camplifier didn't support 4 ohm load? And that they can modify your amp to make it work with the new Kone. Am I wrong on this?

• Hi Dchristo,

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the Camplifier.

The cut outs are the self protection circuit of the amplifier.

If currents or temperatures internally get to high, the amplifier will shut off until temperature gets lower or currents have declined.

Unfortunately Kemper decided to offer their Kone in a 4 ohms version only. A 4 ohms load will run on much higher current at peaks than an 8 ohms load.

If you crank up the volume and hit the string hard, current spikes will trigger the protection circuit.

The Camplifier S2 is advertized as a small amplifier for home and studio use ; not for band rehearsal loudness levels.

For these applications we offer the larger units, such as the 280 or SHP.

The reason why you might have had more loudness with the guitar cabinet is that it might have been higher in impedance (so lower current spikes at high volumes) and that the loudspeaker you have used was much more efficient than the Kone.

You say you have used the Eminence 8 ohm Delta Pro before. This is a VERY efficient speaker !! 99,8dB/Wm !!

There are no efficiencies mentioned on the Kemper site for the Kone speaker.

Since this is more a PA speaker than a guitar speaker, efficiencies might be much lower than those of a guitar speaker and lower than the Delta . I am not sure about that though - I really don`t know.

A guitar speaker usually offers 96-104dB/W/m - meaning you will get 96-104dB sound pressure with one watt of amplifier power , one meter in front of the speaker.

A low efficiency speaker, say 92dB/W/m, will need 4 times !!! the power to get the to the same loudness as a 98dB/W/m speaker!!!

It is as if you amplifier power is cut in half and then cut in half again.

Although the S2 still pumps out 25watts per channel, it feels like a 6watts amplifier, compared to the speaker cabinet loaded with a 98dB/W/m speaker chassis.

Solutions :

- cut bass

- don`t play as loud

- install two Kones into a 2x12" and wire it to 8ohms. You will get about 3dB loudness increase from the membrane surface doubling and current skies will be lower because of the 8 ohms.

- invest in a higher power Camplifier 280 or SHP

I have many S2 customers that report that they can get to good playing levels (home, studio or small rehearsal/gig) with to Kones an the Camplifier S2. That tells me that the S2 is doing what is is designed for if it is run within its design specifications.

I hope that helps,

Tilman

• My Camplifier SHP arrived yesterday afternoon, just a week after ordering.

Given the current global situation including a 2 day bank holiday in between, from Germany to the UK I'd say that's excellent service from Tilman at Ritter.

I just wish my Kabinet was here so I can try it out.

Nice. I have ordered an S2 this week. I have an Orange 2x12 that I will try it with whenever it arrives but definitely keen on getting a Kabinet too. Have you preordered one? If so where is a good place to PO from in order to get it as soon as possible?

• Nice. I have ordered an S2 this week. I have an Orange 2x12 that I will try it with whenever it arrives but definitely keen on getting a Kabinet too. Have you preordered one? If so where is a good place to PO from in order to get it as soon as possible?

To be honest there isn't. Most companies quoting 2-3 months for the Kabinet. I had one on order but I cancelled it.

In the end I ordered a Victory cab £399 plus the KEMPER Kone for £130. The Kone is expecting to arrive tomorrow.

Ive since tried the KPA/Camplifier with the Victory (Vintage Celestion speaker) and i have to say its already an improvement on my Headrush FR unit. Clean profiles sound ace but some of the higher gain profiles are a bit fizzy.

No point tweaking them until the Kone is fitted which im hoping is going to be a big upgrade.

I found out today there are some cabs from Thomann selling for around £100. Put that with a Kone for around £230 all in.

If I knew a week ago what I know now, that may have been the route I'd gone down. However if I were you I'd buy 2 Kones for your Orange 2x12 and think about mono or stereo.

Two Kones as a bundle is around £250 and around a week for delivery.

Edited once, last by Crookster ().

• I saw a store in Germany is expecting some on May 23 but I will have to be patient!

I was planning on selling my Rockerverb and 2x12 Cab last week but have been playing it again this week and I can’t believe that I was going to do that. It’s so good.

I won’t be replacing the speakers with Kones but my camplifier studio is due to arrive in the next 30 mins so hopefully playing that through the 2x12 will keep me occupied while I await a restock!

• I have a Kabinet and a Camplifier SHP on the way. I will be playing mono in home studio so very quiet; mostly jazz; and with small rock bands in small indoor and outdoor venues (once lockdown is over). I have no immediate use for the stereo nor the great amount of power (I assume I won't run in bridge mode); but it seems like a great unit overall so I just look at these as extras. I did not get the volume control because I can't think of a use for it. I will just control volume from the Profiler.

• I have a Kabinet and a Camplifier SHP on the way. I will be playing mono in home studio so very quiet; mostly jazz; and with small rock bands in small indoor and outdoor venues (once lockdown is over). I have no immediate use for the stereo nor the great amount of power (I assume I won't run in bridge mode); but it seems like a great unit overall so I just look at these as extras. I did not get the volume control because I can't think of a use for it. I will just control volume from the Profiler.

I have the same SHP which is excellent. I bought without the volume control also and have no issue.

• Hi Kemper enthusiasts,

due to many requests we now offer the famous Camplifier S2 (2x25 watts stereo ; capable of powering 4-16 ohms cabinets) in a small pedal size like format.

You can put it next to your Profiler Stage or even behind the speaker cabinet.

It uses the same technology as our Camplifier S2 does, except it comes with a On/OFF switch which is led for easy indication.

You can purchase the Guitar Board Amp 50 in the shop here :

GBA50 shop !

Have fun,

Tilman

[Blocked Image: https://shop.ritteramps.de/217-thickbox_default/gba50.jpg?live_configurator_token=86f8b79318146794cc870f8de7ff7edd&id_shop=1&id_employee=1&theme=&theme_font=]

[Blocked Image: https://shop.ritteramps.de/218-thickbox_default/gba50.jpg]