Guitarist after a few "all-purpose" bass amps for recording - recommendations?

• Hi,

I'm mainly a guitarist, so not as clued up on bass amps as guitar ones... I'm after a some good bass profiles for recording purposes though - could anyone recommend any commercial packs that would cover me for most things, mainly rock (blues/classic/heavy) a bit of metal (Megadeth/Metallica style) & funk-rock (Parliament/RHCP)? Guitar wise, I almost exclusively use Marshalls (esp JCM800), Oranges (esp Rockerverb) and the odd Fender (Twin/Princeton) - just mentioning that in case it helps suggest bass amps that will gel well with these.

I've bookmarked Guidorist's Ampeg SVT -CL pack (as that's one bass amp I do know fairly well, and his guitar amp profiles are great), but any others I should check out?

Also, back when I used Amplitube for recording, I used their model of the Orange AD200 MkIII quite a lot - are there any profiles of this available? Or similar Orange bass amps?

Thanks in advance, and I hope you'll excuse my general ignorance on the subject of bass amps ;)

EDIT: Since posting this, I discovered the Kemper Bass Rig pack on Rig Manager (had only noticed the 17 bass rigs in the factory content previously) - anyway, found TONS of good stuff in here, I think I'll probably be covered!! I'll leave this post up just in case anyone's got any further recommendations - sometimes it's nice having a full profile pack to have a range of options of a particular amp, so if there are any that come well-recommended I could be tempted...

• Samjones SWR profiles in rig exchange are nice, as is one of the Aguilar Tonehammer profiles (can't recall which one, but there isn't too many). Le Bass profiles by Bommel are also worth testing.

-Jari

• You can always try to profile the Amplitube Orange. I got excellent results profiling a UAD Ampeg.

I'm going to do just that with my Brainworx Plugins. I was using those exclusively before I bought my Kemper. GREAT IDEA!!!!

Also, I bought the Steve Cook profiles from Michael Britt because of the charitable nature of the profit sharing and I love them so far. I have honestly been stuck on the "Nimble" (Noble Preamp) profiles. Add an IR cabinet from OH and I'm exactly where I love to be in terms of a cover-all for tone.

• I'm going to do just that with my Brainworx Plugins. I was using those exclusively before I bought my Kemper. GREAT IDEA!!!!

Also, I bought the Steve Cook profiles from Michael Britt because of the charitable nature of the profit sharing and I love them so far. I have honestly been stuck on the "Nimble" (Noble Preamp) profiles. Add an IR cabinet from OH and I'm exactly where I love to be in terms of a cover-all for tone.

This sounds good - but what is "OH"?? I've not tried using any IR's yet - only using full studio profiles at the moment - but I'm guessing it's simple enough to do? These Steve Cook profiles do sound good, but I'm definitely after some mic'd up sounds (not just DI profiles) so if adding a cabinet is simple enough, may be the way to go!

• OK, back on the bass trail now - started recording a few new tracks, and the free Rig Manager bass stuff really isn't cutting in the mix, at least to my ears - hunted down a few decent profiles on Rig Exchange too, but not much there (again, to my ears - if others have found stuff there that works, then no disrespect!)

So have now bought Top Jimi's SansAmp DI pack (which sound way better in the mix than similar SansAmp profiles in the Rig Manager) and Guidorist's Ampeg SVT-CL for more of a live mic'd up rock sound - and I can't say enough good things about Guido's SVT, it's only 8 profiles, but exactly the sound I want to hear from an Ampeg, and enough tonal variations that I think it'll be quite versatile - sounds great with added "Muffin" pedal too :)

So I definitely have some great bass sounds now, but would like to add to my options a bit. The Steve Cook pack looks like it would do this, my hesitation is that most of them are DI, and most of the time I prefer a mic'd up cab bass sound - how easy, and how effective, is it to add a cab to these? Not after a tutorial here (I'll read the manual!), but just wondering if this really gives as good results as a mic'd up "studio" rig?

Other packs I've bookmarked are:

http://sonicunderground.bigcar…oduct/bass-bundle-pack-v1

https://livereadysound.com/pro…ed-bass-ell-starter-pack/

https://www.stltones.com/produ…GXQizKANFxn4xgqmwacU2KgN0

https://mattfig.bigcartel.com/product/ampig-profiles

Not sure if any of these are quite what I'm after though - all sound a bit metal/fuzz oriented (or in the case of the Trace Elliot, a bit too clean!) - but if anyone's tried any of these, or is aware of any other commercial bass profile packs, could you let me know? Thanks!

p.s. if any profile-makers are reading, please do an Orange AD200!!

EDIT: bought these too - https://www.rockprofiles.com/ampg-svtcl - more Ampeg SVT-CL, different sound from the Guidorist pack, but also great!

• Hi aligatorlizard,

it took me quite some time to find decent bass profiles but then I'm more of a guitar player than bass man these days.

I came to quite like two profiles of The Amp Factory which i do use most of the times. I found that I can do the rest with my fingers.

The two profiles are

Amp Pig Cln

Amp Pig Drt

I think they're free of charge.

Good luck

• Thanks, I did favourite these early on in my search! However the Guidorist and Rock Profiles Ampeg have since rendered them obsolete ;)