Latency control on Transpose-feature

• it would be great if the transpose function(both in rig and as a stomp-effect) would get a latency control.

because i get a little latency when transposing, even when only doing 1 half step. it's not huge but you can clearly feel it when playing. it its still in time when you play, but not as on-point as usual , but like i said its much more feelable.

the digitech drop pedal does it perfectlywithout latenxy, so it should be doable for the Kemper.

• There already is a latency control; two settings fixed or as little as possible (so to speak). I forget where to change that though. It's set to as little as possible by default.

On that note, I was messing around with the transpose feature recently and I couldn't detect any latency, even between 1 step vs 10. I recall noticing the latency before, so perhaps in one of the more recent updates they somehow were able to reduce the latency?

• I thought Kemper latency was around 3ms and then additional processing adds to that. There is a fixed latency mode with reamping in mind though and that is a little longer obviously.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• You get latency just standing away from your amp. A wireless transmitter will provide a lot more latency and any recording chain is a further delay.

Any processing causes a little latency, but not enough to worry about. You'd do better just playing and enjoying the sound without thinking about things that are not of consequence.

Karl

• Im sure for the high gain crowd,, its fine,,But,,

I play super clean tele stuff in a country band, and,,when the singer wants to drop the pitch, I can feel a diff, its there and it bothers me,not a deal breaker, but a comfort thing,,It affects my playing,It " wakes Me up" makes me think more and ruins the moment,,,,at least for me,,,,,,

with all of today's tech, and super chips, I just don't see why it can be brought down to workable levels, Im not a tech, Im a player and I feel it, Sure,, I can work with it,, but after spending so much money on a system, is in not OK,, to ask for it to work just a little bit better, esp when other companys. can seem to do it,?

My 2 cents

• for a working player, the ability to transpose, at a moments notice , AND keep the vibe( and tone) goin, is probably more important a feature then any efx, morphing etc,,,,Its very basic need as a working/session player,and, I don't like hauling 5 guitars around with all diff string gauges to deal with,

Just sayin

• I wouldn't recommend transpose on any device for cleans. In our band I use it on one short section and it is always uncomfortable. However, on whole songs with higher gain it is workable for both rhythm and lead.

Karl

• Yes agreed,, but when the singer shows up with a transposed set list,, its a total night killer, goes from a fun gig to math all night...

Thanks for the insight,,

still nothing better then this kemper,,,human nature to want more I guess,,

• I feel for you with a singer that constantly changes key each song. You could try the Digitech Drop pedal in front of the Kemper. It certainly has a different feel, although I prefer the sound of Kemper transpose on hi gain sounds.

Karl

• Get a baritone guitar and use a capo ;)

Cheers !

( Come on ..... It´s a joke of course ... But then again , why not ??? ) :/

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• on my variax, I dont feel ANY diff in any tuning,, so I know it can be done,just want to downsize,,

On the Variax each string is processed individually. I read somewhere years ago that each string has the processing power of the original pod to perform the functions that it needs to change the sounds.

• it would be great if the transpose function(both in rig and as a stomp-effect) would get a latency control.

because i get a little latency when transposing, even when only doing 1 half step. it's not huge but you can clearly feel it when playing. it its still in time when you play, but not as on-point as usual , but like i said its much more feelable.

the digitech drop pedal does it perfectlywithout latenxy, so it should be doable for the Kemper.

Kemper's transpose effect is done in software mostly. Digitech's in hardware mostly.

You cannot get smaller latency I think.

But you can hit a note 5 miliseconds earlier, that you would do without Kemper's transpose and you should be good with it :D

• on my variax, I dont feel ANY diff in any tuning,, so I know it can be done,just want to downsize,,

I had one of the earlier Variaxs built into a Telecaster and definitely found it noticeable. It was no better than the Morpheus DropTune pedal I had for a while. If I recall, with the newer Variaxs, they employed some cunning methods for reducing the latency. I'm guessing that they are able to extract the transient from the piezo and overlay it with the shifted note, creating a pseudo low latency. But I guess that's only possible with the individual piezo saddles.

All digital amps require the sound to be converted from analogue to digital, be processed and then be returned to analogue. Those conversions add latency and any pitch shifting requires the device to measure the wavelength, which again adds latency.

No idea what Digitech have done to get it right. Although the ones I tried from them before finding my solution didn't give the results you describe.

I can't see that the solution is a software one.

• Kemper's transpose effect is done in software mostly. Digitech's in hardware mostly.

You cannot get smaller latency I think.

But you can hit a note 5 miliseconds earlier, that you would do without Kemper's transpose and you should be good with it :D

Surely the Drop pedal still has a processor inside too? It would be the same process, but a different algorithm.

You do get used to playing a little ahead with the transpose function, but not on cleans!

Karl

• Surely the Drop pedal still has a processor inside too? It would be the same process, but a different algorithm.

You do get used to playing a little ahead with the transpose function, but not on cleans!

But Digitech has more dedicated hardware to do transpose I guess, Kemper has only one CPU to do it all (all fx, cabinet emulation etc). To be honest on high gain, one step down is playable. 2 steps and more no that much...