Latency control on Transpose-feature

• high gain no problem,, Now,,,

plug in your tele, get a super clean profile, take it 1 step up, or down,, try some chicken picken,, see if it works for you, it dont for me,,,,,not horrible, but after 40 years of workin on timing,, its disappointing to have to learn to mentally compensate for a slow processor,,

The new standard variax works, as well as any open slide tuning I need,, so,, for now its kemper and line 6,,Just want one Co. to combine it all in one floor solution,, Ill take 2,,

• But Digitech has more dedicated hardware to do transpose I guess, Kemper has only one CPU to do it all (all fx, cabinet emulation etc). To be honest on high gain, one step down is playable. 2 steps and more no that much...

how about on the kemper 2,, a little extra CPU for just the efx,??????

• Most of the stuff I do requires just a semitone down. There are a few sections of 2 or 3 semitones, but they are either single notes or long chords. I never had an issue with the tone; it is simply getting used to the latency.

I haven't tried a Drop pedal for ages, but I might try and borrow one to see how Kemper compares since the transpose was updated. Of course, there would be the inconvenience of an external pedal and changing the interval when needed.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• how about on the kemper 2,, a little extra CPU for just the efx,??????

I don't think K2 is gonna happen, while I'm still walking on earth ? K2 would probably require new CPU with architecture not 100% compliant with current ARM and it would require writing the same code for new CPU.

But probably current code could be optimised in the way, that if you have transpose in chain, give it more grit (take it from other fx).

But I don't know how it works. I cannot read binary code of Kaos.bin ? Yet ?

• skoczy DIgitech use specialized FPGA .

It's like programming how an integrated circuit should work, thanks to which operations are performed almost immediately. There is no machine code there.

I'm not fluent in electronics, have some basics, but I felt that in my guts. In FPGA only code is current/voltage ?

• its all Greek to me,, just make a floor unit, that works , out of the box, with min latency,, we have probes on Pluto,, can it be that hard???

So you´re basicly asking for a AI product that guess what tone you play before you even played it ? :huh:

Speaking of latency .... Guess how long it takes for radiosignals to reach that probe on Pluto :P

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• A compromise could be reached to improve playability in a live situation. I don't know if it is possible to allow the transients of the un-pitched sound to pass through and then the transposed sound to play from 30ms or so? You wouldn't notice the lag then.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• So you´re basicly asking for a AI product that guess what tone you play before you even played it ? :huh:

Speaking of latency .... Guess how long it takes for radiosignals to reach that probe on Pluto :P

Cheers !

No.. I'm asking for a computer chip( or whatever it is) that works fast enough..,so,, the timing diff is not going to destroy my vibe,on CLEAN tones,,

( like the DROP pedal) Seems they have got it pretty close,,and the Drop software in my headrush also does a GREAT job at it,,

I know the Kemper is not a all in one solution, never claimed to be,I did NOT buy it for that reason,,,,but if were asking for improvements, for the working/session player,,, and NOT the the bedroom noodler,, then this is a very important feature to improve, in my humble,opinion,and WAY more useful then a few more Flangers, TRANSPOSE,-up-down, at leat 1 step,, with as little artifacts as possible,,

Im a 65 year old musician,, not a rocket scientist ,, Just want to play till I cant anymore,,My 2 cents,,( maybe 3,,,,)

• its all Greek to me,, just make a floor unit, that works , out of the box, with min latency,, we have probes on Pluto,, can it be that hard???

it's more hardware vs more software

more software can do more, but with less efficiency

more hardware can do less (just transpose) but with more power (almost 0ms lag for transpose)

more gardware = 1956 Ford Mustang

more software = Tesla

which one you prefer unclemar ?

anyway if you want almost 0ms latency, go for physical stompbox in my opinion.

• so far only the drop works close enough for clean tones,and only up or down one step,,,and its an extra pedal Im trying to lose, I have a giant pedal board with all the toys,, just trying to get there with the Kemper and a small board, On a diff note,,

Just tried the mooer GE250 very impressive tone capture feature,, , I profiled the kemper AC20 rig I use with it,, it got pretty close,, scary for 400 bucks,,

What a time to play guitar,, some ones going to do it,, get this transpose thing right,,just hope its CK first,,

• I understand that,, I just want it close enough for country,, the hard rock guys are fine,,

country requires more skills, and has more clean sound, where you can perceive easier, if something is not on time

hard rock and metal is about loud ;) nobody cares if the sound is 7ms later :D

the latency in pitch shifters are unavoidable by the nature of the pitch shifting algo. You have to have some number of the input samples before you can calculate output samples.

not really. it doesnt have to guess or calc or anything.

a half step is 100 cent.

so all the device has to do is take the whole signal and transpose it to 100 cents lower.

done.

like it says :"everything coming in from now on i will let out through my "100 cent down-pipe". " shouldnt even take 1ms.

in my case, the latency is the same, wheather i go down 1/2 step or 6 half steps (not that i would really use it )