Latency control on Transpose-feature

• Yeah right ..... 100 cents down from what ???? The algoritm has to have something to calculate ....

It´s like buying things on a "30% off" sale, but no one knows the original price , but it´s still 30% off ...

From what ??? Perfectly clear ? "Not really ". 8o

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• really not trying to be diff,, but you just cant believe some of the key changes that get thrown at me at a moment notice,,

yes I know nashville numbers etc,, bla bla bla,

I need a button,, its 2020 for gods sake,,

art for arts sake,,

money for gods sake,

Ill buy it,,,,

• We do believe that you have a hard time with key changes. We're just stating that it's not a case that Kemper Gmbh aren't interested in making a zero latency pitch shifter, it's a case that they can't. The KPA doesn't have the hardware inside that the Drop does. Same as it can't fly to Pluto. Software updates ain't gonna change that.

• As far as I am aware, a pitch shift effect needs a minimum of 1 cycle of the string at the played frequency to sense the note to be transposed. Then it needs to run the algorithm to actually carry out the transposition. It can't transpose anything until it knows the note it is transposing. One cycle is the theoretical minimum time required for sensing the note. However, in the real world this may be nearer 2 cycles. If you play a low E on guitar it is around 80hz which translates to a minimum theoretical latency of 12.5ms. So unless you introduce some masking feature such as pitchless transients etc as Karlic suggested I don;t think it is possible to have latency below around 15ms. for a low E.

I don't have a Drop pedal but I do have a Whammy DT which is what the Drop is based on. I haven't used it for ages but my recollection is that I didn't find it noticeably better than the Kemper any time I did transpose.

• Go for digiech then

Yeah right ..... 100 cents down from what ???? The algoritm has to have something to calculate ....

It´s like buying things on a "30% off" sale, but no one knows the original price , but it´s still 30% off ...

From what ??? Perfectly clear ? "Not really ". 8o

Cheers !

from everywhere? !

take any note, for example an A (440 hz). go down 100 Cents and you have an Ab.

Go down 1200 Cent and you have an A but an octave lower.

• Go for digiech then

i have one, and everything else ,,, silver Klon as well,,on a GIANT pedal board, I bought the Kemper to drastically down size, I was hoping to go small, and thats where My search began,,To my ears the drop system is the best goin at the moment,, I bought ALL of them and sat with them in my studio and went one by one,,DROP had the slight edge,,,( for the clean stuff,, but still not there for my pickin style)

I just fig,, if this guy( CK) is smart enough to fig out how to profile,, transpose should be a walk in the park,,,but we all have our priority's,,

• Sounds like a good parameter to add some time in an update.

Ducking is avaliable in Chromatoc pitch shift FX.

@unclemar just try to put Chromatic pitch shift in slot A and play with Ducking parameter (just add a little bit of orginal transient +0.2 shoud be enought ). Mix +50% and Balance as you wish for voice 1 or 2.

• Thanks Damian. I'm not in front of the Kemper today, but maybe the chromatic shift can be configured as a transpose effect? I'll have to see if the shift is of equal quality to the dedicated transpose stomp, as the ducking would really help in feel.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Ducking is avaliable in Chromatoc pitch shift FX.

@unclemar just try to put Chromatic pitch shift in slot A and play with Ducking parameter (just add a little bit of orginal transient +0.2 shoud be enought ). Mix +50% and Balance as you wish for voice 1 or 2.

First off,,,,thank you so much,for taking time to respond to me on this ,,,, but I'm a 66 year old, half blind guy,, who with 3 power reading glasses,, can still.. hardly read the tiny little green screen on My Kemper rack, ,I have never been a deep edit guy, I plug in and play, I have an old school,,, amp, cord ,pedal ,mind set,,That's exactly why I LOVE the kemper, since I found the Morgan profile,( and bought an AC 20 deluxe because of it) I have never been happier,But as far as me diving into the little screen and tweaking, That's just not gonna happen, I've tried and messed things up so bad, I had to do a re set- and re-load, from scratch,, no more editing for me,I don't enjoy it,,,

I'm a player, not a tech,,,,,I need a button,to step on,, it will happen, sooner or later,,

So,,THANKS so much for all the great advise and help and suggestions,I love this place and all you helpful folks,, ( ducking? I use to shoot ducks with a friend??? )for any of you who wish to hear what Im up to,, http://www.mariomassi.com,,,,, 200 hundred originals,,,more or less,,

• First off,,,,thank you so much,for taking time to respond to me on this ,,,, but I'm a 66 year old, half blind guy,, who with 3 power reading glasses,, can still.. hardly read the tiny little green screen on My Kemper rack, ,I have never been a deep edit guy, I plug in and play, I have an old school,,, amp, cord ,pedal ,mind set,,That's exactly why I LOVE the kemper, since I found the Morgan profile,( and bought an AC 20 deluxe because of it) I have never been happier,But as far as me diving into the little screen and tweaking, That's just not gonna happen, I've tried and messed things up so bad, I had to do a re set- and re-load, from scratch,, no more editing for me,I don't enjoy it,,,

I'm a player, not a tech,,,,,I need a button,to step on,, it will happen, sooner or later,,

So,,THANKS so much for all the great advise and help and suggestions,I love this place and all you helpful folks,, ( ducking? I use to shoot ducks with a friend??? )for any of you who wish to hear what Im up to,, http://www.mariomassi.com,,,,, 200 hundred originals,,,more or less,,

I think the disconnect here is that:

1) To transpose you have to transpose something. Therefore a note needs to be presented, then processed and outputed. It doesn;t know to transpose A to Ab if the A hasn't been played yet. That takes time regardless of the hardware and software. Therefore zero latency is impossible.

2) All transpose pedals will have other artefacts as well - it starts with a complex analogue signal not a digital one. Its not a digital piano.

3) The suggestion that the drop pedal has zero is incorrect and certainly not my experience. Is it better than the Kemper? In my mind not noticeably but some prefer it. Its dedicated to that task so by definition should be the "peak" of transpose tech. You can't expect other solutions to be as good.

4) Because of the above, these issues are more noticeable in precise music, which shows up more when clean as well.

No one is ignoring your issue, its that limited improvements can be made in processing the signal. For different tuning I prefer multiple guitars, is the only true resolution BUT logistically its a nightmare.

The easier question to solve is probably the other pedals on you board...I have zero pedals now.

• read the tiny little green screen on My Kemper rack

Than try software editor, perhaps you get more familiar with it. It's not that you have to be a tech guy for that, take your time. :)

To be honest I don't like to play with the transpose latency but I'm in the lucky situation that I actually only need it for one or two songs, and that's okay for the fact that I don't need another guitar. I don't see a lot of possible improvement here in the actual architecture, perhaps they could develop a kind of "live transpose" which has a bit less quality but has less latency but I would fear, that than the complains will come from a different direction. I will try the Digitech Drop soon, because I'm also curious if I like it more, it's not expensive so it worth testing.